Celeste

Super Mario

Goomba
Anyone else play this? I'm not sure what platforms it's available for exactly, but I picked it up on the Nintendo Switch.

The story is pretty neat, it's about a girl climbing a mountain to prove to herself she can do what she sets her mind to. It's pretty heartwarming and a great way to piece the game together.

The gameplay is kind of like Super Meat Boy but with its own twist on it. If you're not familiar with Super Meat Boy it's a pretty simple platformer game where you get to the goal in small levels- the levels are pretty tough and you're expected to die a lot but when you beat the level you feel pretty accomplished. Celeste does this same kind of thing except you have more abilities (a double jump and climbing/clinging to walls) and the chapters are continuous- you need to beat each room to progress and while there is a kind of a segment select when you beat a chapter it's nowhere near as flexible as what Super Meat Boy has to offer. I'm honestly a bigger fan of the way Super Meat Boy handled things over Celeste but it's still an enjoyable experience- the aesthetics and overall presentation of Celeste are so so much better than Super Meat Boy that it balances it out for me.

There's not too many chapters to the game so you don't spend too much time to experience the story, but once you do that there's plenty more to do. Each chapter has a bunch of strawberries you can collect if you want- they don't do anything but they add an additional challenge that's fun to try and complete. There's also some additional hidden collectables (I think one in each level?) where if you get enough you unlock a bonus chapter which has its own twist on the regular gameplay. In addition to that, every chapter has a harder version you can unlock, and an even harder version if you can beat all of those. I haven't been able to complete even one of the second verison of the chapters so I feel like there's plenty left to do in the game if I want to.

Anyway I hope there's other fans of the game here or if not I hope you're willing to check the game out if you haven't!

Back