Super Mario Bros. Encyclopedia finally releasing in English

TinTinfinite

scrunkly
Pronouns
He/Him
MarioWiki
Infinite8
https://kotaku.com/mario-is-getting-his-own-fancy-encyclopedia-1823123206

Remember this book used to release outside of Japan in English on June 2017.
Dark Horse finally announced that the English translation will release on October 23, 2018, for US$39.99.

I hope they actually release it this time- not just say "It's coming, it's coming!". I also hope they release it over here in Britain, not just in America.

Super Radio said:
If you look up the words "late" and "overpriced" in the dictionary, you'll see pictures of various Nintendo products.
Has that ever stopped us from buying them?

BBQ Turtle said:
I hope they actually release it this time- not just say "It's coming, it's coming!". I also hope they release it over here in Britain, not just in America.
And Australia too.
I am annoyed that I didn't purchase Hyrule Historia at the convention, because it is expensive (AU$90).

For it to cost almost like a game it has to be a big ass encyclopedia with HD quality in every part possible.

that's mighty expensive

to be fair it looks the same price of other similar books in stores
at least that i've seen

Swiftie_Luma said:
For it to cost almost like a game it has to be a big ass encyclopedia with HD quality in every part possible.
well, as an indication, you might get a more than A4 book like the German translation, which is so big I cannot even scan full pages. The Spanish book is slightly bigger than the Japanese one, and both have an hard cover, by the way.

Lol if they go the Spanish transaltion way and call Bowser "king of the turtle tribe/family" - with no mention of the Koopas as turtle-like creatures beside enemy names - and call all Magikoopas, even the SMW ones, "Kamek"...

I hope that one day we will get the definitive Mario encyclopedia where it will go all the way back to 1981, where not only does it go through Mario's first game, it also goes through Mario's first titled game (Mario Bros.) and some early spin-offs like Wrecking Crew. I guess they go through in this book, but I doubt it because it listed 1985 as the year, so I don't think Donkey Kong (game) is covered.

Thank you for reading.

I don't expect it to be in the encylopedia, but I like to see the possible rejected Mario designs as part of the process of settling for Mario's pretty much ultimate design for Super Mario Bros..

Heck, the sketchy stuff always interests me.

I have the Japanese book, so I can tell you that Donkey Kong and Wrecking Crew are mentioned, in the list of games featuring or referencing the Mario universe released on Nitnendo consoles.

There's also a page about the Mario games released before Super Mario Bros..

The book is clearly about the games of the Super Mario series, so there aren't relevant sketches of the characters, beside an already known sketch from Miyamoto and a sketch which is actually about gameplay mechanics and in which Mario can barely be seen. In this sense the Nintendo Official Guidebook of Super Mario Collection did a better job - and it didn't really feature sketches of each character...

Back