Author Topic: What do we do with Super Smash Bros?  (Read 4021 times)

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
  • You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
    • View Profile
Re: What do we do with Super Smash Bros?
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2018, 12:02:36 AM »
Merge the Assist Trophy Characters to Assist Trophy
On the face of it, there's not too much "merging" to be done - the descriptions already on Assist Trophy seem adequate. The bigger question is about edge-case stuff like Midna - she's there primarily as an assist trophy, but she's also there on the Wolf Link Mystery Mushroom costume in Super Mario Maker (and the up-button sound effect is her giggle), Mr. Resetti (cameos in MK8 in place of a Monty Mole on the Animal Crossing track), the odd thing that's appeared in the likes of WarioWare (e.g., Nintendog), etc.
For the moment, it's best to err on the side of caution as you've done. I'm not entirely sure how to go about Midna and the Nintendog; Resetti can sneak by because of his MK appearance, but neither the SMM costumes nor the WarioWare microgames have been used as substantial justifications for separate articles. I'm not sure if the Smash appearances are enough to justify separate articles.

Edit: Also something to keep in mind: redirects should not have categories if said categories also fit into the page they're being redirected to. That's really clunky, so to use Isaac as an example, the "Humans" and "Characters from other Nintendo games" categories are valid because they do not apply to the Assist Trophy page, but the "Super Smash Bros. Brawl Trophies" is not valid because it's already on the Assist Trophy page.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:07:10 AM by Time Turner »

Reboot

• Goomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2018, 02:41:45 PM »
Okay, as you may have noticed on the Wiki, I'm going through and remerging the Subspace Army enemies to that page, per the proposal. HOWEVER... there are seven enemies (Generators, Glices, Glires, Glunders, Mites, Poppants and Roturrets) which reappeared in the Smash Run mode of SSB3DS, according to SmashWiki. Those keep their own pages?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:44:12 PM by Reboot »

Duskull

• Spooky Ghost
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Yoshi876
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2018, 04:48:24 PM »
Judging by the proposal, Smash Run enemies are to be merged into their own separate list. So I'd merge the Subspace ones into the Subspace army and only talk about their role in the Subspace Emissary, and also merge them into a Smash Run enemy list where the stuff on their role in that game is discussed.

Reboot

• Goomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2018, 01:28:11 PM »
Judging by the proposal, Smash Run enemies are to be merged into their own separate list. So I'd merge the Subspace ones into the Subspace army and only talk about their role in the Subspace Emissary, and also merge them into a Smash Run enemy list where the stuff on their role in that game is discussed.
The thing about that is that you're splitting them across two pages in a non-obvious way. If we were going the whole hog and just merging everything to "List of Super Smash Bros. enemies", I would understand getting rid of those pages. But splitting it across Subspace Army/List of Smash Run enemies feels like a bad idea.

LeftyGreenMario

• Do not show the embarrassing CPU scores during the battle.
  • Donkey Kong
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2018, 09:37:00 PM »
How about just turn the redirect into a disambig?

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2018, 12:55:22 PM »
Well, might as well revive this topic with baby steps.

Does anyone oppose deleting the pages on Xander Mobus and Pat Cashman? As I stated previously, other Smash-exclusive voice actors had their pages merged away, so keeping these around is inconsistent.

Baby Luigi

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 – Тарелка бл🧀🧀🧀 сырная!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2018, 01:38:39 PM »
I'll agree with merging their voice actors merged, yes.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

LeftyGreenMario

• Do not show the embarrassing CPU scores during the battle.
  • Donkey Kong
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2018, 04:14:03 PM »
Yes.

TheFlameChomp

• Wiki Administrator
  • Spiny
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2018, 01:26:35 PM »
Yes, I don’t see any reason that they are necessary to keep (one of them is even marked as a stub).

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2018, 01:51:34 PM »
I don't see an obvious place where they can be merged, so I'll just tag them for deletion.

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2018, 10:57:03 AM »
That's that, so next up: how about List of bonuses in Super Smash Bros. and List of bonuses in Super Smash Bros. Melee? The Smash Wiki already covers those lists, and this seems like something we could harmlessly get rid of.

Baby Luigi

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2018, 01:31:40 PM »
Sure.

JC

• Local Moderator
  • Blooper
  • Mario jc
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2018, 07:42:36 AM »
Maybe I missed something (I was less active during the Smash Run enemy merge), but is there a reason why enemies like Waddle Dee and Starman are still separate articles? The only reason seems to be because they have roles other than Smash Run, but pages like Koffing and the enemies found in both Subspace and Smash Run seemed to have been split off no problem. On a related topic, unless Time Turner or anyone else is planning on doing it, I'm planning on starting a proposal on what to do with Smash Bros. subjects that still currently have separate articles but have made minor appearances outside of Smash Bros. (e.g. Nintendog).

Also Smash-related: does anyone also have an opinion on this?

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2018, 10:48:16 AM »
Maybe I missed something (I was less active during the Smash Run enemy merge), but is there a reason why enemies like Waddle Dee and Starman are still separate articles? The only reason seems to be because they have roles other than Smash Run, but pages like Koffing and the enemies found in both Subspace and Smash Run seemed to have been split off no problem.
That's totally my bad. I left some pages until the very end where all the info was already dotted around on all the relevant pages, and I guess a few slipped through. Send 'em to the chopping block.

On a related topic, unless Time Turner or anyone else is planning on doing it, I'm planning on starting a proposal on what to do with Smash Bros. subjects that still currently have separate articles but have made minor appearances outside of Smash Bros. (e.g. Nintendog).
No plans from me at the moment. Although I'm curious what the proposal's about: what constitutes a "minor appearance"?

Also Smash-related: does anyone also have an opinion on this?
Yeah, I'm in favor of taking a note from Retro Course's page.

Baby Luigi

• Mushroom Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2018, 02:31:06 PM »
No need for descriptions in these lists, the image thumbnail does exactly the job it's set out to do.

JC

• Local Moderator
  • Blooper
  • Mario jc
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2018, 10:48:10 PM »
On a related topic, unless Time Turner or anyone else is planning on doing it, I'm planning on starting a proposal on what to do with Smash Bros. subjects that still currently have separate articles but have made minor appearances outside of Smash Bros. (e.g. Nintendog).
No plans from me at the moment. Although I'm curious what the proposal's about: what constitutes a "minor appearance"?

Cameos in games, microgames etc. and Mystery Mushroom costumes, which pretty much apply to many of the currently unmerged Smash subjects. I'll also include subjects that have non-Smash info already covered on other, more appropriate articles, like Blinky's appearance in the MKAGP series on Ghosts (Pac-Man).