Author Topic: What do we do with Super Smash Bros?  (Read 4603 times)

Duskull

• Spooky Ghost
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Yoshi876
    • View Profile
Re: What do we do with Super Smash Bros?
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2018, 06:11:08 PM »
In my opinion, items are a major part of the series, like stages, that are commonly used in the series, while Pokémon and Assist Trophies are minor characters that assist the fighters after using specific items, so I feel it makes sense to merge them and keep the items.
To answer your question Blocky, this is how I feel about items. I can't really explain why I feel like the items are important enough, other than the fact that I just do.

As for Assist Trophy and Pokemon, I feel like those should be merged because without the actual item, they wouldn't really be there.

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
  • You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2018, 05:19:44 PM »
So, we've had a good amount of discussion! Let's see if we can't finalize our list of what will and will not be merged.

• Fighters: Keep.
  • Stages: Keep.
  • Items: Keep.
  • Enemies (Subspace, Smash Run, etc.): Merge.
  • Bosses: Merge.
  • Assist Trophies: Merge.
  • Pokémon: Merge.
  • Moves: Merge.

There may be a couple more bits worth discussing, perhaps with recurring bosses like Master Hand and whether items should definitely be kept, but this list is more-or-less finalized. After another quick round of discussion, the plan is to charge forward with a proposal to merge the listed subjects.

As an aside, is there anything that should be done about the scattered and miscellaneous subpages, like List of Mii Outfits or List of bonuses in Super Smash Bros.? My initial thought is that we can link to the SmashWiki whenever they're brought up, considering that the majority of these aren't particularly notable in the first place, but I'm open to feedback on this front.

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2018, 05:28:36 PM »

I'm still for keeping these two, but if this is the majority consensus, then I guess I have to go with it.

As an aside, is there anything that should be done about the scattered and miscellaneous subpages, like List of Mii Outfits or List of bonuses in Super Smash Bros.?

List of Mii Headgear is also a thing. If the SmashWiki doesn't have these pages (I haven't checked), then we can probably move them over if they want them and then just delete them on our end (RIP my Mii images). Links to the SmashWiki articles can then be added on the Mii and game pages where they are needed.

BBQ Turtle

• Princess L of the Shy Guys
  • Wiki Patroller
  • Luma
  • Crazy sponsors lady.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2018, 05:37:24 PM »
It might be worth adding any missing Mario-related stuff on those pages to the respective sections on the character's places before they're completely scrapped, but once that's done I think they can go.

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2018, 05:41:08 PM »

I'm still for keeping these two, but if this is the majority consensus, then I guess I have to go with it.
On the flipside, I'm still for merging the items, but the majority consensus seems to be to keep them. The articles are generally small enough to merge without issue (and some pages like Beam Sword and Ray Gun are worded redundantly and can be trimmed without issue), and I'm not convinced that they're notably notable considering how easy it is to skip or ignore them entirely (the special moves are arguably more present than the items). Still, despite my moaning, I'm not going to belabour the issue if the others are fine with how things are.

It might be worth adding any missing Mario-related stuff on those pages to the respective sections on the character's places before they're completely scrapped, but once that's done I think they can go.
Pardon, but can you clarify which pages you're talking about?

BBQ Turtle

• Princess L of the Shy Guys
  • Wiki Patroller
  • Luma
  • Crazy sponsors lady.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2018, 07:19:05 PM »
Pardon, but can you clarify which pages you're talking about?
The list of Mii outfits and hats ones. Obviously, the non-Mario outfits and hats can be cut with no significant loss, but for the Mario-related ones (Such as the King K. Rool outfit), we probably need to mention on the characters' pages that there is a Mii outfit based on them in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U. From a quick look it looks like there's at least a passing note in some of the articles (Though some images may be required), but it might be worth a thorough check before deletion.

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2018, 07:52:49 PM »
I mostly agree, but I’m split on what to do with items.

Also, I think outright DELETING Pokémon would be best.

Maki's #3 Fan

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Celestial Guide
  • Raven Effect
  • That's what I call hamburgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2018, 07:55:28 PM »
I'm against merging items personally.
I'm fine with trophies, assist trophies, and pokemon being merged.

TheFlameChomp

• Wiki Administrator
  • Spiny
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2018, 08:03:00 PM »

I agree with this, along with keeping item articles, though I don't see an issue with having pages on recurring bosses such as Master Hand and Crazy Hand.

I don't feel that we should completely delete Pokémon, as they are very similar to Assist Trophies, and I don't feel it would make sense to completely remove them just because they had nothing to do with Mario, when many items, Assist Trophies, and stages aren't from the Mario franchise either.

MediaVideoEditor856

• Drink Wilkins
  • King Bowser
  • Mario Kart DS Fan
  • MVE856
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2018, 08:05:21 PM »
I mostly agree, but I’m split on what to do with items.

no way! that article is NEEDED! needed i say!
Quality post by MKDSF

Hibiki Tachibana

• also known as Blocky
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Superchao
  • Gekisou Gungnir
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2018, 08:27:48 PM »
I agree with this, along with keeping item articles, though I don't see an issue with having pages on recurring bosses such as Master Hand and Crazy Hand.
I'm fine with keeping Master Hand and Crazy Hand as their own articles, it's mostly the one-time SSE bosses I'm thinking of merging.

Duskull

• Spooky Ghost
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Yoshi876
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2018, 11:45:20 AM »
I agree with keeping Master and Crazy hand separate. I'm also happy to keep Master Core separate.

Also, I'm sorry if this has been brought up and I missed it, but has it been decided what we're doing with articles like Sticker (Super Smash Bros. Brawl) or List of trophies in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, because for the record I'm happy to keep them, or at least these specific examples.

TheFlameChomp

• Wiki Administrator
  • Spiny
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2018, 01:01:28 PM »
Also, I'm sorry if this has been brought up and I missed it, but has it been decided what we're doing with articles like Sticker (Super Smash Bros. Brawl) or List of trophies in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, because for the record I'm happy to keep them, or at least these specific examples.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with keeping those articles.

Also, how would this affect our coverage of companies (such as Sora Ltd.) and people (such as Pat Cashman) that are only relevant to the Wiki because of the Super Smash Bros. games?

JC

• Local Moderator
  • Blooper
  • Mario jc
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2018, 08:23:09 PM »

I don't feel that we should completely delete Pokémon, as they are very similar to Assist Trophies, and I don't feel it would make sense to completely remove them just because they had nothing to do with Mario, when many items, Assist Trophies, and stages aren't from the Mario franchise either.

I agree with this.

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2018, 10:58:25 PM »
Also, how would this affect our coverage of [...] people (such as Pat Cashman) that are only relevant to the Wiki because of the Super Smash Bros. games?
We used to have pages for the voice actors of David Hayter and Pikachu, but they were deleted for being outside of the wiki's scope. With that in mind, Pat and Xander Mobus shouldn't have pages.

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2018, 09:34:19 PM »
Late to the draw, but the proposal to settle what will be merged is up! Be there or be square.

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2018, 09:42:44 PM »
I'm still undecided on the Pokemon and Assist Trophies, so like the last proposal, I'm going to remain neutral and just let whatever happens happen.

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2018, 11:01:52 PM »
The proposal passed! This means that things are happening. Blocky and I plan to do plenty of work ourselves, but at the same time, the project is open to anyone who is fine with chipping in. To sum everything that will change:

To state the obvious, none of the Mario elements are being merged. This includes the special moves that are unique to Smash. To be honest, I think that getting the proposal off the ground was the hard part; now that we're past that hurdle, we just need to do the dirty work.

This isn't the end, though! There are still pockets of discussion to be had, such as with the Subspace Emissary Levels or Metal Luigi. Although our focus will be on what's already passed, it wouldn't hurt to get the ball rolling once more.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 11:58:51 PM by Time Turner »

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2018, 02:43:05 AM »
Time to say my bye-byes to Cook Kirby and Ultra Sword...

Whatever, I know that we are solely a Mario wiki, and there’s always Kirby Wiki to cover those two...

Reboot

• Goomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2018, 06:30:33 PM »
Merge the Assist Trophy Characters to Assist Trophy
On the face of it, there's not too much "merging" to be done - the descriptions already on Assist Trophy seem adequate. The bigger question is about edge-case stuff like Midna - she's there primarily as an assist trophy, but she's also there on the Wolf Link Mystery Mushroom costume in Super Mario Maker (and the up-button sound effect is her giggle), Mr. Resetti (cameos in MK8 in place of a Monty Mole on the Animal Crossing track), the odd thing that's appeared in the likes of WarioWare (e.g., Nintendog), etc.

EDIT: Okay, done nearly all of it - someone else can do the majority of the relinking and check some of the borderline cases/etc. As I said in an edit summary, I'm having a "That was a featured article?" reaction to Assist Trophy characters, I presume it was featured *before* SSB4 came out and never revisited. Still needs work, IMO.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:59:55 PM by Reboot »