Author Topic: Tournaments  (Read 2426 times)

Azusa Miura

• Wiki Administrator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Turboo
    • View Profile
Tournaments
« on: February 06, 2018, 12:09:20 AM »
Plans, ideas, general discussion re: tournaments  :waluigi:

Please send Anton and/or Turb your ideas for a tournament you plan on hosting, including a draft of your OP so we can check over final details with you in PM!

Schedule of all Token-earning events

EventHost(s)Date(s)
Awards Killing GameGBAToad, others tbamid-July (tba)
Guess The ResultsAnton, Turb, and LakituthequickJune 17th - August 17th
Art ContestAntonJune 1st - July 14th; voting July 21st - August 11th
Mario Kart 64 time TrialsAlex95Concluded
Mario Kart 8 DeluxeLakituthequickJuly 30th - August 19th
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe BattleLakituthequickJuly 30th - August 19th
Super Mario Odyssey: Hint HuntThe Pyro GuyOngoing
Super Mario Odyssey Scavenger HuntAnton, Edo, and 2257Ongoing
Anniversary Scavenger HuntLakituthequickOngoing
Breath of the Wild Photo HuntGBAToadpostponed for maybe a future 'shroom issue !!
PresentationsAnton and TurbJuly 1st - August 10th, Presented August 17th
Shroom TokensMeta Knight, 'Shroom StaffOngoing; cycle ends June 16th
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:14:12 PM by Anton »

Camwoodstock

• ~the lost soul of tong-nou~
  • Blooper
  • the lamest fartwad you'll ever darn meet
    • View Profile
Re: Tournaments
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 12:38:51 AM »
I dunno if ideas for tournaments go in here or the suggestion box (the original post says ideas are welcome), but perhaps we could possibly host a speedrun contest to see who can beat a Mario game the fastest? I'd say SMB1 since that's easily the most recognizable and is the shortest one while also offering the most potential for skill.

I wouldn't be able to host it, hence I'm saying this as an idea, not a plan--if anyone wants to pick this idea up and make it a reality, be my guest.
~Camwoodstock - the poor sod you'll summon if you bought the dried shroom AFTER the dusty hammer
pfq | button | more to come

Doof

• I believe the morning sun, always gonna shine again
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • DragonFreak
  • Everything that drowns me makes me wanna fly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 01:49:26 AM »
I plan on hosting something again this year but I don't know if it's going to be either Yu-Gi-oh or Binding of Isaac.  If you have interest in either one of those please tell me :birdo:

Roserade

• President of the Literature Club
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • King Bowser
  • "Write your way into his heart..."
    • View Profile
    • Rose Garden Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 10:48:08 AM »
I'm always open to helping host a game like Mafia or Killing Game or even something entirely new! Feel free to let me know if you'd be interested in my help.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:50:04 AM by Monika »

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 11:05:02 AM »
I have an idea for a different kind of Mario Kart tournament :dk:

Czario

• Am I Russian or Italian, though?
  • Dry Bowser
  • Luigi 64DD
  • I play Tetris, I guess...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 06:47:00 PM »
I think we should consider what we're going to do with the MK8 tournaments. Should we do the same as last year and have a racing tournament with the Wii U version and a battle tournament with the Switch version, or should we have both with the Switch version (assuming we'll do another battle tournament)? I'm basically wondering if the Wii U version is going to be retired or not.

Grima

• Tactician of Ylisse
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • GBAToad
  • do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 09:19:08 PM »
I'm basically wondering if the Wii U version is going to be retired or not.
I don't think the AC will stop people from hosting any tournament they want. If the interest, players and internet servers are there, people can host a tourney for any game they wish, and I think that'll be LTQ's call whether he wants to host a MK8 Wii U tourney himself or let someone else handle it. We had MK7 last year and that game is 6 years old now.

That being said, I'll only be signing up for Switch and 3DS tourneys this year. Many of the games we've had Wii U tournaments for in the past are now on Switch in some form (Splatoon, Mario Kart), and even though the Switch has only been out for a year, I know a lot of people in the community are now Switch owners thanks to Odyssey. Compared to last year, the turnout for Switch tournaments should be much much better (especially since Nintendo Online doesn't go live until after tournaments conclude lol)

speaking of which, someone please host a Splatoon 2 mariowiki inhouse with team logos and banners

Grima

• Tactician of Ylisse
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • GBAToad
  • do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 09:26:23 PM »
Also nothing formal planned at the moment but following discussions from last year there will very likely be a new Awards Killing Game that I believe LB is working on, and some form of Mafia.

Whether the big-ass Awards Mafia returns or is retired completely has yet to be seen, but I do recall a smaller "mafia season" of games being proposed where people host small little games with token rewards as opposed to one big-ass game. I'm in favour of that idea.

Weasel

• All that and a bag of cool beans.
  • Global Moderator
  • Donkey Kong
  • MST3K
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 09:42:43 PM »
One of the things I told myself I'd do this year is to be more involved with the community at large

That said, does anyone besides me still play Mario Golf World Tour?  Maybe I could get something going with that.

King Dedede

• His Royal Nemesis
  • Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
  • Dedede, that's the name you should know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 09:57:29 PM »
One of the things I told myself I'd do this year is to be more involved with the community at large

That said, does anyone besides me still play Mario Golf World Tour?  Maybe I could get something going with that.
Hey, I thought I was the only one who still plays that game!  You want to play a skins match?  I set up a community just for that purpose!

Anyway, a Mario Golf 3DS tournament would be great!

I think we should consider what we're going to do with the MK8 tournaments. Should we do the same as last year and have a racing tournament with the Wii U version and a battle tournament with the Switch version, or should we have both with the Switch version (assuming we'll do another battle tournament)? I'm basically wondering if the Wii U version is going to be retired or not.

Sorry, you need Miiverse to host tournaments on the Wii U version, and Miiverse is dead.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 10:42:54 PM by YFJ »

Azusa Miura

• Wiki Administrator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Turboo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 10:15:03 PM »

Sorry, you need Miiverse to host tournaments on the Wii U version, and Miiverse is dead.

Unless Miiverse dying also killed friend rooms, it should still work since our tournaments used those rather than Nintendo's "official" tournament rooms

Honoka's #5 Fan

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Celestial Guide
  • Raven Effect
  • That's what I call hamburgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 10:15:48 PM »
Yeah but you guys forget
the wii u doesn't exist

Stargazing

• One who claims to know everything... really knows nothing at all.
  • Celestial Guide
  • Galaxy Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 10:16:45 PM »
i wonít be able to host the mario kart 7 tournament this year because iíll be gone all of july and for a chunk of august D:

if anyone wants to take over thatíd be super, but keep in mind connections are getting worse and worse for that game so it might be even harder to stabilize everything this year

Ritsuko Akizuki

• also known as Blocky
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Superchao
  • give it up for loud noises
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 11:11:37 PM »

>golf

sign me up

Yoshi the SSM

• (Space Station Manager)
  • King Bowser
  • I'm Yoshi the Space Station Manager from the wiki.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 12:29:58 AM »
i wonít be able to host the mario kart 7 tournament this year because iíll be gone all of july and for a chunk of august D:

if anyone wants to take over thatíd be super, but keep in mind connections are getting worse and worse for that game so it might be even harder to stabilize everything this year
Sounds like we should do Mario Kart Tour next year.

In all seriousness, what is the requirement for hosting this?
I don't have time to give you a ride, I am managing a space station. And ask me something here:www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=38633.msg1934343#msg1934343

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 01:05:17 AM »
The requirements for hosting a tournament is just basically proving that you will be able to run it, and giving us your initial post explaining all of the rules and plans in advance so we can check to see if it's a valid tournament that is balanced and fair.  I suggest checking over the rules of other tournaments, and figuring out how much of a time and work commitment they are before diving into one.  I've seen more tournaments than I care for have their host just stop doing anything with it mid-tourney and I remember every single one in grand detail, and never want to see another happen again--it hurts your prospect for hosting another.

King Dedede

• His Royal Nemesis
  • Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
  • Dedede, that's the name you should know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 01:23:42 AM »
How many anniversary tournaments can be held a year, and in which games can they be held?

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 01:42:10 AM »
An indefinite amount, and literally anything so long as it can be rang in a competitive format that grants tokens to players

fantanoice

• Vee vee
  • Power Star
  • Happy Holidays!
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 06:43:45 AM »
I dunno if ideas for tournaments go in here or the suggestion box (the original post says ideas are welcome), but perhaps we could possibly host a speedrun contest to see who can beat a Mario game the fastest? I'd say SMB1 since that's easily the most recognizable and is the shortest one while also offering the most potential for skill.

I wouldn't be able to host it, hence I'm saying this as an idea, not a plan--if anyone wants to pick this idea up and make it a reality, be my guest.
I'm up for speedrunning though smb1 is so optimised and gross that idk if it will even be fun for a lot of people.

SM64 would be neat but you need to consider version differences. The N64 PAL release patches out BLJ and other tech, though the WiiU release is the American version which makes it more viable.

Anyway, I'm interested in running a Nuzlocke Challenge - basically Pokťmon Nuzlocke where people get points based on how well they play they game. I've jotted down a starting ruleset for it, should I PM it? If so, to whom?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 06:55:47 AM by fantanoice »
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

<< Watch Pokemon Let's Go! Eevee Nuzlocke Stream >>
Ask Me Stuff

Raregold

• The #1 Sell-Out
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Lakitu
  • Fancy Toads Wear Fancy Clothes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 08:40:28 PM »
After participating in the annual Awards Pokemon Tournament for the past two years, I'd be interested in hosting as well as have some ideas for improving the overall pacing and quality. I'm currently compiling some ideas and would enjoy collaborating with anyone if there are any inquiries.