Is there a way to restore a previous revision of a file?

Czario

Rightful ruler of the kingdom of Russia!
MarioWiki
Luigi 64DD
I was editing an image in MS Paint when I clicked Save before realizing that I had forgotten to make the edited version a separate file. I went to the Previous Versions tab of the Properties of the file, but none came up. Is there a way to restore the original version? I'm using Windows 10, if that helps.

did you set a system restore point? that might be your only option on windows afaik since i dont think paint saves temporary files

The previous versions tab helped me in the past on one file, but I think that was incidental then.
System restores are indeed for just the system and maybe installed programs, user folders are unaffected.

If you haven't closed Paint yet you can try holding Ctrl+Z for a while and hope history goes back far enough, but otherwise you may be out of luck.

If you by any chance happen to have this file in Dropbox, you can log in to that via their browser interface and restore previous versions of up to 30 days old.

Sadly, I don't think any of these solutions can work. Since the image is a digital drawing, I could just put it manually back to what it was, although that will be inconvenient. I'll leave this open for now in case anyone has any other suggestions.

Unfortunately, I can't really offer much help beyond how important it is to have lots and lots of versions of your files to fall back on if you make a mistake like that. Use the Save As function almost as often as the Save function.

Back