Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu manual translation, updates on dumping status and m

So you might remember that about a month ago, I helped raise funds to dump the Japanese-computer only DK3 semi sequel Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu. Well, I have some news and I plan to use this as an update thread for the foreseeable future.

First, unfortunately as of a few days ago the game was still in Japan. Because of this, I'd say expect the dump by the end of March now.

But I do have some very good news. Around the time I learned of the game's location, I was contacted by Bando, a Japanese resident who was interested in helping dump the game. I explained that we had won the auction at this point, but to our luck he was a native Japanese speaker, and his English was extremely good. He gladly offered to help translate any promotional material(those Micom Basic issues I have) or otherwise.

Well, I took him up on it, and yesterday morning he sent me a translation of something I haven't mentioned the existence of on here: the sole image of the game's manual. (Interestingly, I've never found any of Special or Punch Ball's.) I'm linking it here: http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/KYyKHzuW/file.html

Now, what the left page says about the story is very interesting. First, based on some of the top writing, it seems that the events follow not directly after those of DK3, but after some time has passed.

Second, something insanely bizarre is said regarding the in-game events: Hudson never made a story out of them. It says to make up your own and send it to them. Therefore, if anyone says that the events directly proceeded those of DK '94, they're correct, as is anyone who disagrees. (Can we just agree that they did? It makes some sense if you think about it.)

However, there's more with Bando. He has managed to reach Fumihiko Itagaki, aka ITA on the game's title screen. Itagaki apparently doesn't like it all that much, as he doesn't have a rom, nor hardware to play an original copy. If the game was rushed at the end of its development, like my magazines suggest, maybe he doesn't like to think about it? Bando's going to contact him soon and ask him about all this and more, so hopefully we can learn more about this.

Finally, Bando also managed to reach someone with a last name of Imatani. Apparently, he designed the ads for the games, so Bando will talk with him as well. Hoping he knows if Special for the SMC-777 was released.

I'll keep everyone updated. I'll try to send Bando my magazine scans this week. Let me know if you have any questions.

hudson124 said:
Second, something insanely bizarre is said regarding the in-game events: Hudson never made a story out of them. It says to make up your own and send it to them. Therefore, if anyone says that the events directly proceeded those of DK '94, they're correct, as is anyone who disagrees. (Can we just agree that they did? It makes some sense if you think about it.)

"Is Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu a prequel or sequel to Donkey Kong 94? " - the greatest debate in mariowiki history, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate"

Since Hudson lets me do it, let it be known that mariowiki's official stance is that the plot of Donkey Kong 3 DG is Donkey Kong attempting to start a nuclear holocaust

but is it a part of the DKU or not?

Glowsquid said:
hudson124 said:

"Is Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu a prequel or sequel to Donkey Kong 94? " - the greatest debate in mariowiki history, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate"

Since Hudson lets me do it, let it be known that mariowiki's official stance is that the plot of Donkey Kong 3 DG is Donkey Kong attempting to start a nuclear holocaust

Hudson did briefly state the plot, if you read the translation. It's just the story that happens within the game that they're leaving up to us.

Notice how DK3: DG ends in a city, and DK '94 begins in one. Maybe Mario took over for Stanley in fighting DK. Just sayin'.

Wart, to answer your question, yes.

Update time again. Bando sent in the questions I requested, and we heard back on some of them.

First off, I was sent most magazine translations, but my computer's being repaired right now so it'll probably be a few weeks before they're up (I'm typing this on my phone).

Second, Itagaki hasn't responded. Since he doesn't have the rom or hardware, it seems he doesn't want to talk about the game. This leads me to believe the game had a rough development.

Now, onto the good news: Imatani's responded. Here's some important information he's given us so far:

- The Lost Levels is the true sequel to SMB. SMB Special was released in August, two months after TLL.
- The PC-9801 version of MBS was released in 1985 as opposed to 1984.
- A version of of Punch Ball for the IBM-JX does exist, though a version of MBS for the SMC-777, which is rumored to exist on the Japanese web, does not, though it was planned. (How would I site this?)
- He claims that Punch Ball and MBS were released in February of 1984, but in my magazines prototype images of the latter weren't even shown until July, and the former wasn't advertised until November. He had to ask a friend about it (presumably a former coworker), so hopefully that'll be clarified soon.

He's asking Imatani some more questions. If anyone has any they'd like to ask, let me know and I'll tell Bando. Here's what I'm asking so far:

- Why was DK3 chosen over DK and DK Jr. to get a sequel/port?
- Why did Mario Bros. get two sequels/ports?
- Why were stage modifications made in MBS?
- Did DK3: DG have a troubled development?
- Who told him the release dates?
- Why was Punch Ball not advertised until November 1984 in Micom Basic?
- What magazines were sent prototypes to advertise the games?
- Does he have any prototypes, or where I might be able to find them?

No more updates regarding the game's location as of now.

Update time again. The game is in the hands of the dumper, but he has to make a special cable to dump it via Windows (other operating systems failed). The game boots up on his hardware, so it does work.

Haven't heard back on any of those questions yet, but apparently Bando has the manuals of MBS and Punch Ball and he plans to scan and translate them. Bando also plans to attempt to contact Takashi Takebe, who was interviewed once since he was the producer of SMB Special, but he seems to have worked on DK3: DG as well (credited as "TAKEBEESAN" on its title screen).

If anyone has any other questions to ask either of them, or other possible developers to contact, let me know. I'll keep everyone posted.

Glowsquid said:
Well wadaya know, it's dumped!

Yep! Was just about to let everyone here know. I did a video regarding my initial reactions and footage of two stages previously unseen in the X1 version here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65hSd5Gg-FQ&t=1s

I also have more videos regarding it coming, as well as some regarding Hudson's other Mario games. If you enjoy this one, be on the lookout for them. ;)

Back