2017 in review.

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Banned User
Since 2017 is coming to an end very soon, I thought it'd be nice to make a thread where we talk about the things that happened during this year.

Personal Achievements:
*I managed to pass my computer engineering and computer studies course.
*Got Super Mario Run, the full game.
*I managed to create an OC and bring it into existence.
*I got a nice co-op placement.
*Learned how to be fully independant by taking public transit all by myself.
*Got a nice sweet phone with a nice plan.
*Got a sweet 4K TV.
*Finally got composite cables for my GameCube and they work.

Worst things that happened:
*Losing Chuck Berry.
*Death of Miiverse.
*Death of the Wii U
*Trump becoming president

Overall, 2017 was a much better year than 2016 was, aside from the loss of Chuck Berry and Miiverse.

good year for nerd stuff (metroid came back, mega man came back, infinity war trailer)

pretty bad for everything else

The Good
*GTA V MODDING!!!
*Spore modding!
*3DS modding!
*Substance Painter!!!!!
*I'm in the ropes of learning a new language
*Mario Sports Superstars!!!
*Mario Party: The Top 100!
*The Switch is very successful and it came with Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and much more.

The Bad
*Donald Trump's presidency in general. Just...everything about it.
*My grandmother died in August
*One of my best irl friends contracted leukemia (the good news is that he beat leukemia!)
*Had some depressing moments here and there

Positives:
~The grand unveiling of the Nintendo Switch alongside mega hits like Breath of the Wild, Odyssey and Splatoon 2 for example literally right out of the gate.
~Confirmation of a Metroid Prime 4, Megaman 11, Pokemon Switch, Yoshi Switch and Kirby Switch for 2018.
~Pokemon: I choose you!
~Samurai Jack Season 5 finally giving the series some closure after all these years. (Now all we need is a continuation for Sym Bionic Titan and we'll be set.)
~Regular Show's AMAZING ending.
~OK K.O.
~Overcoming the bitterness and spite that consumed me for the last three years and trying to be more positive.

Negatives:
~Confirmation that Adobe won't be supporting Flash Player by 2020.
~Bidding farewell to the Wii U and Miiverse.
~Still not obtaining my driver's license despite it being one of my 2017 new years resolutions.

i'd make a list but there are crucial things that happened to me that i don't want to talk about

Mario Claus said:
~Still not obtaining my driver's license despite it being one of my 2017 new years resolutions.
Don't worry, there's always next year! I had the same disappointment I felt when I didn't get any job this year but I have hopes for next year.

Good:
*Promoted to patroller on the Super Mario Wiki in April
*Promoted to administrator on the F-Zero Wiki in October
*Some great games :mario:
*YouTube channel back up
*Better glasses
*Family and friends are doing good
*The Last Jedi was awesome (screw the haters)

Bad:
*Both my great-grandmothers died this year, one of them had their funeral held on my birthday
*Health seems to be getting worse
*Various house issues
*YouTube channel quickly dying
*Financial issues

Objectives set, but didn't meet:
*Driver's license (Too sick for that)
*Job (Too sick for that)
*Girlfriend (kinda close, though, maybe?)
*Power Master MV release (Too much content :P )

So...here's hoping 2018 will be better. And there's also Christmas in a few days.

good shit:
-getting my bestest best friend here back after years of being on the outs and having it turn out we click just as well as we used to
-graduating college after six years plugging away
-getting to visit pi and a german friend and s2d coming to visit me
-METROID MOTHERFUCKERS (and samus returns turning out to be a great game)
-Danganronpa V3
-general appreciation for my friendgroups and how strong they're holding up

neutral shit
-still can't drive
-still no job (i'm trying!)

bad shit:
-my remaining grandfather died
-politics
-buncha arguments in another friendgroup; nothing imploded forever but lord was it stressful

Miu Iruma said:
good *bleep*:
-getting my bestest best friend here back after years of being on the outs and having it turn out we click just as well as we used to
-graduating college after six years plugging away
-getting to visit pi and a german friend and s2d coming to visit me
-METROID MOTHER*bleep*ERS (and samus returns turning out to be a great game)
-Danganronpa V3
-general appreciation for my friendgroups and how strong they're holding up

neutral *bleep*
-still can't drive

bad *bleep*:
-my remaining grandfather died
-politics
-buncha arguments in another friendgroup; nothing imploded forever but lord was it stressful

nice to hear your opinions, Superchao.

ok i guess i should try lol

Good Things
  • Solidified and gained new relationships with so many members of this community.
  • Got my driver's license! Now to actually drive, that's a 2018 goal.
  • Actually went to therapy for my social anxiety. While it's still bad, it's certainly better than it was before.
  • My school got a gender-neutral bathroom, and I'm one of the only people who has a key.

Neutral Things
  • Got a Mac. While smoother than my other laptop, rip any post-XP Windows things I wanted.
  • Have laughably had $4 in my bank account for half of the entire year. It'd be on the negative side if it weren't so hilarious.

Bad Things
  • Ended an almost 2 year romantic relationship in late January.
  • Gender dysphoria has gotten pretty bad, in ways I don't want to talk about.
  • Got ignored from a French exchange program, which claimed they had contacted me upon investigation.
  • Still can't find a job, have been ignored by or rejected by three so far.
  • My mental health isn't in the best shape.

Riko Santarauchi said:
ok i guess i should try lol

Good Things
  • Solidified and gained new relationships with so many members of this community.
  • Got my driver's license! Now to actually drive, that's a 2018 goal.
  • Actually went to therapy for my social anxiety. While it's still bad, it's certainly better than it was before.
  • My school got a gender-neutral bathroom, and I'm one of the only people who has a key.

Neutral Things

• Kool
    • Got a Mac. While smoother than my other laptop, rip any post-XP Windows things I wanted.
    • Have laughably had $4 in my bank account for half of the entire year. It'd be on the negative side if it weren't so hilarious.

Bad Things
    • Ended an almost 2 year romantic relationship in late January.
    • Gender dysphoria has gotten pretty bad, in ways I don't want to talk about.
    • Got ignored from a French exchange program, which claimed they had contacted me upon investigation.
    • My mental health isn't in the best shape.

Riko Santarauchi said:
Mario Kart DS Fan said:
just a quote of my post with "kool" added
dude knock it off

Okay seriously knock it off. Try writing a list yourself, Mario Kart DS Fan. Star here put in probably a ton of effort thinking and listing things that happened to him in 2017. The least you can do is respect it with a like. Not just write a random “kool” in there.

The Good:
-Graduated high school.
-Did my 11th and final high school show. It was an awesome time
-I started college this year. I was nervous but classes went well and I've made some great friends. My biggest worry was meeting new people but I've found a really great group of people.
-Marvel killed it this year with GotG2, Homecoming, and Ragnarok. Infinity War trailer was also phenomenal.
-Other nerdy stuff: Last Jedi, Breath of the Wild, Kong, USUM, all good.
-Dragon Ball Super. Just this whole arc.

The Bad:
-Anything involving the US Federal Government
-The Great Comet was ROBBED at the Tony Awards

I am probably going to miss a lot of things here but let's try.

GOOD:
- I survived freshman year, and I have survived the first semester of sophomore year of college!
-- Made Dean's List for all three semesters so far.
-- Survived Journalism I, which is typically regarded as one of the toughest classes at our university, with an A.
-- Had four of my five journalism articles published in our university newspaper.
-- Subsequently made everyone hate me because I was the "curve-wrecker", or as some people called me, the "curve-fucker".
- Broke out of my shyness shell considerably more this year.
-- Went to our Regimental Ball with a super great friend and classmate of mine, Kanisha. The first time I have ever really danced and sang out loud in public and stuff because those types of things are way out of my comfort zone, but taking that leap and just genuinely not giving a shit about my comfort zone was a big leap for me and I had so much fun.
-- I made a best friend in college, Rebecca. She is the sweetest and funniest and most incredible and also punniest person in the world and I love her like family so, so much. I don't know what I would ever do without her and anyone in LB's discord knows of our struggle sessions and how much of a character she really is and how much she means to me. We are potentially planning for me to be a part-time host on her radio show next semester. Stay tuned for that.
- Speaking of radio, I got to host a radio show this semester for like 13 weeks with my friend Lele!
-- One of the most enjoyable experiences of my life. Like hosting a radio show is so much fun. If you ever get the opportunity to do it, do it. It is so worth it, especially if you love music, and just enjoy killing time and enjoy having the satisfaction that the music you love is being played to somebody. We'll be back for another semester in late January!
- Kind of goes in hand with the last one, but goddamn, I discovered a lot of great music this year. Like this year was genuinely the best year for me in terms of finding and listening to new music. The radio show has a lot to do with that because of motivating me to find new music, which led me to finding Vinny's (of Vinesauce) Spotify playlist which is full of incredible stuff. My main Spotify playlist is nearing 900 songs at the time of this post.
-- Speaking of which, Red Vox's Another Light came out a few days ago. I've already bought it, digitally and physically. Hands down one of the greatest albums I have ever listened to. I've definitely already developed an emotional attachment to like two or three of the songs already.
- Although the concerts aren't until next year, I bought tickets this year to go to two concerts next year! One is for the incredibly meme-y They Might Be Giants in April, and then my all-time favorite band, the Electric Light Orchestra, in August. I am beyond excited and floored for those two days to roll around.

BAD:
- My mental health is still in a pretty bad shape and has kind of deteriorated over-time. I am struggling with loneliness hardcore and it has kind of reached its peak in the last few weeks.
-- Truthfully, Chris Cornell's death took a huge hit on me, emotionally and mentally. He was somebody I looked up to and his music helped me get through a lot of my struggles and a lot of my darkest times. His death, particularly the way it happened, just floored me and hurt me and it still hurts today. I miss him so much.
- I still don't know how to drive. That's like my top New Year's resolution because I need some freedom and I don't know how I've gone without it for this long so far.
- I am 20. I am old. Help.

The Good
+cs188's livestreams are pretty dang awesome
+This wiki has been AMAZING, especially its forums
+DROD has been incredibly fun even still, and the Caravel community has been awesome too
+I started playing Terraria, it's been a blackhole of freetime
+My family and I have begun playing Cards Against Humanity, and it's a dang riot
+Yes, I even started playing Cookie Clicker again; it's actually a surprisingly complex game for a game oft mistaken for a "meme" game
+Our family has a second dog now and she is adorable (yet ferocious)
+I confessed my crush on my crush; she's not sure about love yet, but we're keeping in touch
+My close friends and I have had a BLAST writing stuff for a thing we write together
+Heck, there's a lot more I probably forgot, and will be leaving out because this was made before Christmas

The Bad
-The entire U.S. has been a complete disaster in every sense of the word; I shouldn't need to explain
-If last year was the year I nearly lost my close friends, this was the year I did lose communities: not one, but two times I was effectively forbidden from a community I loved, one for completely false reasons (they twisted words by my crush to make it seem as if i was sexually harassing her, something even she said was entirely false, but of course they didn't listen) and effectively out of bias
-The threat of Net Neutrality dying got my anxiety harder than a motherfucker
-For that matter, anxiety, anxiety EVERYWHERE
-Pretty sure my therapist's manager is deliberately trying to take me off therapy, when it's entirely too soon and lord knows I would probably die without that stuff

Positives
-Graduated high school as valedictorian and with an Associate’s Degree
-Made it through my first semester of college
-Been able to help out a very close friend with the college application process quite a bit.
-Watched aforementioned close friend really begin taking off as a poet and start figuring out what they want to do in life.
-Joined the Shroom and have made an effort to try to become somewhat active around this community after watching from the sidelines for years.
-Was able to see the Symphonic Evolutions and met some great people there.
-The Switch and its games have been an absolute blast.
-Began learning computer coding and am decent with Java now.
-Voted for the first time and have started writing to people to encourage dialogue on political issues.
-Downloaded and learned how to use GIMP and Musescore.
-Found Video Game Story Time, a really cute YouTube channel which adds a bright spot to my life every other week. It's also helped me connect to my family more because it helps them understand more about videogames and the people behind them.
-All in all, I've found that I’ve been a much more optimistic person this year, which has helped me just be more joyous this year.
Negatives
-Death of a family member brought up a lot of drama in my extended family. They’ve divided themselves into two feuding camps, but I’m just trying to keep to myself and not hurt any feelings.
-Grandparents are struggling with health issues that recently arose.
Another close friend of mine was accepted into a top tier university of her dreams but ran into unexpected financial issues and couldn't attend.
-After making major social gains during my last two years of high school I’m finding that I’m becoming far more reserved again and only have a two or three people at college that I know.
-I’m really struggling to determine what I want to major in and where I want to go with my life. In general, choice paralysis is a major issue for me.
-Still haven't been motivated enough to learn an instrument, and just stopped trying to practice with basic art skills after two months due to other priorities.
Neutral
-Still don't have a driver’s license, but I’m okay with that because I’d prefer to not drive a day in my life if I could avoid it.
-Politics has been interesting this year, to say the least.
Have a campus job lined up for next semester.

Mario Claus said:
Alex95 said:
*Driver's license (Too sick for that)
*Job (Too sick for that)
Miu Iruma said:
-still can't drive
Riko Santarauchi said:
Angie Yonaga said:
- I still don't know how to drive. That's like my top New Year's resolution because I need some freedom and I don't know how I've gone without it for this long so far.

Seeing a theme here. Man, what is wrong with us?

Um... I can't really remember much of what happened in 2017. The only thing I can currently think of is the best thing, and that's joining up here and on the Wiki and meeting all of you guys.

+ Got more involved in this community, including making friends, writing for the 'Shroom, and participating in the Mario Awards.
+ Continued to find stuff to do on the internet (you could call this neutral but I might be more bored without it).
+ Made new IRL friendships and strengthened old ones.
+ Nintendo finally doing well and my ability to play a lot of the great new games, including expanding my horizons.
+ Continued to get good grades (including a good score on the ACT), even if I still tend to get things done at the last minute.
+ Got my learners permit and began learning to drive.
+ Rediscovered that I don't suck at drawing.
+ Made some money from small lawncare jobs.
+ Lessened some bad habits.
+ My brother is getting married in about a week, and he'll be the first of my siblings to do so!

- Wasted too much time on the internet.
- Still procrastinate a lot.
- Mostly failed to get to know my crush better and felt like it was impossible given the circumstances.
- Failed to get rid of a bad habit I've been trying to get rid of.
- Still feel like I'm not doing enough with my life, particularly in the social aspects.

Riko Santarauchi said:
Neutral Things

Lucky you. Well I am using a Mac at school for Communications Technology and Digital Art. I have fiddled around with the old Mac stuff on emulators. OS X is pretty cool. I've used some versions like Leopard, Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks.

Also, you can install Windows on the Mac using Boot Camp. It works.

Luigi 64DD said:
- Wasted too much time on the internet.
- Still feel like I'm not doing enough with my life, particularly in the social aspects.
or are you?

Alex95 said:
Seeing a theme here. Man, what is wrong with us?
It's not hard, and if some poor schmuck like me and all those assholes on the road can drive, so can you.

I haven't started driving until I was 21 years old. I'm pretty sure all of you would learn how to some day, it just takes lots of practice to get it down just right.

Back