The future of the 2D Platformers

Ksiorze

Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't a dream.
I assume most of the people reading this are aware of the NSMB Switch topic wich was pretty nice. But what if there was no nsmb? I think Odyssey made quite the impact on the Mario platformers and we're gonna see something new, innovative and creative for the next 2D installment.
I'm betting on a new hand drawn art style similarly to the latest Rayman games or even wonder boy : a dragon's trap.
Gameplaywise I really wish for a return to a SMB2 kind of gameplay with throwing objects and all of that but that's just a fantasy.
What do you think?

Pick up where SMW left off and use 2D sprites akin to Wario Land Shake It, and maybe put a bit more story context than 'dun dun dun, koopalings/bowser did a bad thing, now go play game'

Also, make the flagpole/goal not always on the far right or accessed from the left. Have some goals you approach from other directions and as a result, open things up for less linear level design.

Also bring back Mario's Sky Pop and Marine Pop from Super Mario Land for some sidescrolling shooting segments.

I also want Peach to be playable more often like I have said before. I want to see customizable outfits like in Mega Man Powered Up on PSP (with Roll).

Hell my ideas for NSMB Switch should also apply as well.

King Antasma said:
Also, make the flagpole/goal not always on the far right or accessed from the left. Have some goals you approach from other directions and as a result, open things up for less linear level design.
That's honestly the best idea I've heard. I don't think they've done anything like that before in a Mario game. Really, I think the only Nintendo platformer that does something like that is Kirby sometimes.

memoryman3 said:
Daisy with her double jump!

I completely agree, more playable characters would be a blast especially daisy and waluigi.
King Antasma said:
Pick up where SMW left off and use 2D sprites akin to Wario Land Shake It, and maybe put a bit more story context than 'dun dun dun, koopalings/bowser did a bad thing, now go play game'

I wanted to put Wario land shake it as an example for drawing style but I totally forgot. And yes! That would be si cool. I would love more opened platformers in the same vain as the wonder boy series I guess.

NanoRim said:
Also bring back Mario's Sky Pop and Marine Pop from Super Mario Land for some sidescrolling shooting segments.
That would be neat, sarasaland too would be cool. With updated graphics and new things.
Roll and Maria Renard said:
I also want Peach to be playable more often like I have said before. I want to see customizable outfits like in Mega Man Powered Up on PSP (with Roll).

Hell my ideas for NSMB Switch should also apply as well.

I think you have nice ideas but only peach would be meh. I want more, like super mario run just a ton of characters with different powers and all of that.

Back