Author Topic: Why is bowser so dumb?  (Read 1585 times)

tardograd2

• glomming goomba
  • Cheep-Cheep
    • View Profile
    • pro-plaza
Re: Why is bowser so dumb?
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 03:34:36 PM »
Definitely New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and perhaps New Super Mario Bros. U. Not all of the flowers do it, but there are some that do it. I think one of the ones in the World 5 cannon level does.
They are probably hidden stashes of money. It makes litte sene, but it is more sensible than using a currency that is spat out by plants.
phygh, super awesome death head, reaper of sanity xvqjwphghyy, gummy dragon, root ring, the beast, gamemaster, unio, mr. argument irrelevance, brot, dorf, trovling, ballon, colo, galleon, alche, aweura, stabard, owler, spam can, pingv, bluuff, micr, dracoslaer, pwdy

The Lord Bowser

• A Narcissist with a Temper. Has an active high school life
  • Koopa Troopa
  • Lord Spikes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 05:50:16 AM »
Well, weirdly coming out from my mouth, he could be considered a foolish one, because you see, if he was so desperate enough to kill Mario, why would he add self-defeating mechanisms. People would consider that he learned from his mistakes, but he doesn't at all, i mean  he adds switches that seem to harm him, what a very persistent fellow :bowser: i tell ya.
[img center width=200 height=200]https://i.postimg.cc/3JRcwJzn/masterchief-790576.jpg[/img]

Draggadonyoshi

• Monty Mole
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2017, 12:30:03 PM »
I feel this is a recurring trend in Nintendo games. Ganondorf, for instance does the same thing in every Zelda game as well
It's more to create a working plot that the target audience of the games (6-12 year olds mostly) will believe rather than to write an epic saga
draggadonYoshi

ThatGuy62

• Dry Bones
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2017, 05:56:44 PM »
Bowser's intelligence, like many things in this series, varies between games/sub-series: In the Paper Mario games, he's a complete idiot and all around joke after the first, in Mario & Luigi he started off the same way but by Dream Team, became far more clever and in the platformers he's implied to be pretty smart/competent considering he almost conquered the universe and actually did take over two kingdoms (one almost entirely behind Mario's back), leaving only his questionable arena design skills. In Super Mario RPG, he even writes a haiku.
He's not the smartest Goomba in the Goomba Tower (Some of the Koopalings might outrank him, same with Kamek, MPDS and Smash both pretty much say Junior's smarter than him) but the dude probably has some serious intellect and he's still the king.
"It is a sky. It is a completely sky." - A line from the masterpiece of the century that is Vroom in The Night Sky.

Mcmadness

• Power Star
  • The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2017, 06:21:41 PM »
Yeah his intelligence generally varies from thing to thing though I like to think he's not a complete buffoon. Just sort of middling intelligence.
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig. This sig loves you.

Mario's Drunken Holiday Special

• "It's Christmas again. It will never be the sa-a-a-a-ame. I know there's only sadness in my so-o-o-o-ul."
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 02:35:33 PM »
why would he add self-defeating mechanisms.
Maybe from a gameplay standpoint, they are, but it's a way of saying that Mario cleverly outwits his foes.
"Mario begins his ascension to the celestial realm, Luigi spontaneously becomes a twitching pile of boneless flesh and Daisy is nonchalantly like 'this is fine'." -NanoRim

Mcmadness

• Power Star
  • The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 03:52:34 PM »
I still have my headcanon that apart from times where you gotta throw something back or whatever, Peach put those there with her vague as *bleep* magic power.
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig. This sig loves you.

Jumping Spider

• Serial nose-booper.
  • Goomba
  • BOOP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 04:20:29 PM »
Bowser is dumb for various reasons:
1) being a game series aimed at children, most of the villains are usually the joke-type of villain that do evil things even if they theorically wouldn't benefit from them that much either because they need the hero to seem smarter than the villain or to allow them to be defeated, in this case it's both for Mario as Bowser having a huge "PRESS ME TO KILL BOWSER"-button/axe that destroys the bridge he's on and he doesn't even attempt to stand on the safe floor (or, you know, press the button himself as soon as Mario tried crossing the bridge?) clearly shows he's made to be dumb-is for the sake of him being the villain of a children's game
2) technically there are still smart villain who manage to get defeated even in media aimed at a younger audience, but in Mario the hero is an ex-plumber who's only abilities are an above-average agility (especially jumping), a lot of bravery and being great at fixing broken pipes (not that it'd matter as fixing the Mushroom Kingdom's sewers won't be something that'll help him rescue Peach), while he's still a pretty strong and prominent guy compared to many of the inhabitants of the Kingdom (who are usually either weak, evil or, if they are strong, are cowards like Toads)

So yeah, the series being aimed at children and the fact that Bowser is just a lighthearted joke-villain in a world of sunshine and rainbows is why he seems so dumb, he's supposed to be or the series would lose its child-like and happy-go-lucky feel, as having Bowser to either truly evil things or actually act smart and be a real threat to the Kingdom might make the game significantly darker in a way or another.
BOOPY-BOOP-BOOP!

MediaVideoEditor856

• King Bowser
  • Mario Kart DS Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 04:21:31 PM »
DUMB? he aint dumb  :bowser:

Level UP

• Goomba
    • View Profile
    • Level UP's Youtube Channel
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 04:24:54 PM »
He has to be dumb otherwise the Mario games would just end before they even begin.

MediaVideoEditor856

• King Bowser
  • Mario Kart DS Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2017, 04:29:03 PM »
He has to be dumb otherwise the Mario games would just end before they even begin.

oh.

Santa Yoshi

• The Christmas Yoshi
  • Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 03:16:58 AM »
Why Bowser has an Axe:
Bowser wants to use the axe himself.
Donít ask me why he hasnít even tried to pull it.  Also donít ask me why he hasnít learned that Mario will always get it first.  But if Bowser is dumb, Toads are far dumber.

Savato

• Parasitic form of death
  • King Bowser
  • LED42
  • Also known as "Face-off with death"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2018, 10:26:13 AM »
The Bowser Impostor in 8-4/D-4 from The Lost Levels is smarter than Bowser himself. I mean, if Mario doesn't have a Fire Flower, he's impossible to defeat. Bowser is known for his obsession with destructible bridges over lava, and, so the thing goes. :bowser:

orangelimeQ

• Banned
  • Goomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2018, 12:14:39 PM »
He's dumb enough that he essentially does the same thing in every mario game

FrostyPhoenix

• Discount Grinch
  • King Bowser
  • NanoRim
  • [Wahoos internally]
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2018, 08:54:19 PM »
Maybe it's a pride thing? We do know that Bowser sees Mario as his eternal worthy adversary and desires to take him out on his own terms, considering that he even saved Mario from a stray Bullet Bill in Super Sluggers while his guard was down... so maybe he deliberately ignores the axe/bridge kill switch?

Usually I avoid using the axe/switch if Mario has a power-up one hand to try give more of a fair fight.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 08:56:45 PM by NanoPhoenix »