Is Super Mario Bros. 2 a Mario game?

Ksiorze

Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't a dream.
Hello everyone. As a really big fan of SMB2 also known as Super Mario. USA I wanted to know this forum's opinion on this game. I have a few questions to ask :
-is Super Mario Bros. 2 a Mario game?
-is Super Mario Bros. 2 a good game?
-is Super Mario Bros. 2 just a dream?

Kaito Momota said:
- the ending says so

That's were I disagree. As said in the manual, the in-game story and its sequel BS Super Mario Bros. USA it was set in the dream world wich can be accessed with a door in the mushroom kingdom. It's not a dream it's in the dream world.

I'm still waiting for Nintendo to remake or re-imagine a lot of their second series games like SMB2 cause I legitimately think it's very unique and cool.

Same goes with Zelda 2 and Metroid 2-NO WAIT I FORGOT THEY JUST DID THAT THANK YOU NINTENDO.

I feel that BS Super Mario USA is canon, and that Subcon is a dream world, sorta like Dreamland.

it has Mario in the name.

yes

Glowsquid said:

I was talking about the doki doki panic problem that some people bring up. But I totally agree.

Ksiorze said:
Glowsquid said:

I was talking about the doki doki panic problem that some people bring up. But I totally agree.
wasn't doki doki literature-er, panic, originally supposed to be a Mario game?

Shadowshy said:
Ksiorze said:
Glowsquid said:

That's what I say all the time to the smb2 detractors!

Shadowshy said:
Ksiorze said:
Glowsquid said:

Not necessarilly.

In an old-ish interview with Wired, Kensuke Tananbe said he was asked to do a "Mario-style" prototype, not that it was actually always a fully-fledged game in the Mario universe. Considering Nintendo's well-documented practic of making prototypes for gameplay concepts and then making the aesthetic and storyline if the idea is demed worth making a game around, it's possible the prototype was made without any branding in mind and was originally developed as an experiment to see if a platform game that took Super Mario Bros. formula of smooth horizontally-scrolling levels and adapting it to a down to up format could be made fun and worth pursuing, and that the prototype was what chosen when Fuji TV came knocking to make a promo game for their weird new world fair thing. either way, it's never actually been said Doki Doki Panic was a fully-fledged Mario game first.

Glowsquid said:
Shadowshy said:
Ksiorze said:
Glowsquid said:

Not necessarilly.

In an old-ish interview with Wired, Kensuke Tananbe said he was asked to do a "Mario-style" prototype, not that it was actually always a fully-fledged game in the Mario universe. Considering Nintendo's well-documented practic of making prototypes for gameplay concepts and then making the aesthetic and storyline if the idea is demed worth making a game around, it's possible the prototype was made without any branding in mind and was originally developed as an experiment to see if a platform game that took Super Mario Bros. formula of smooth horizontally-scrolling levels and adapting it to a down to up format could be made fun and worth pursuing, and that the prototype was what chosen when Fuji TV came knocking to make a promo game for their weird new world fair thing. either way, it's never actually been said Doki Doki Panic was a fully-fledged Mario game first.

I agree but the prototype was made with Mario in mind. It could have been a Mario game from the beginning if yume kujo didn't ask for a game. But it's just a possibility.

Yes to all three.

I like to think of the Subcon as a tangible place that can be accessed via a door somewhere in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Borp said:
What is even the point of this thread?

SMB2 is the most controversial game out of the nés one so I wanted to know more about this forum's opinion.

It is most certainly a Mario game: it's worked on by the minds behind the first Mario game, it's retrospectively labelled as a Mario game in Japan, and elements found in Super Mario Bros. 2 are used in other Mario games so I can say for certain that the developers treated it as a Mario game despite being started as a different game. I think it was the right call for the USA to make this a Mario game because it's a fascinating game that doesn't deserve to fade into obscurity.

Well, whether that game's a dream is unclear. I mean, dreams can be based on real life so it's not a stretch to find out that some enemies or things are not just a dream.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
It is most certainly a Mario game: it's worked on by the minds behind the first Mario game, it's retrospectively labelled as a Mario game in Japan, and elements found in Super Mario Bros. 2 are used in other Mario games so I can say for certain that the developers treated it as a Mario game despite being started as a different game. I think it was the right call for the USA to make this a Mario game because it's a fascinating game that doesn't deserve to fade into obscurity.

Well, whether that game's a dream is unclear. I mean, dreams can be based on real life so it's not a stretch to find out that some enemies or things are not just a dream.

Thank you for reading.

I mostly agree. But it's pretty clear it wasn't a dream. It was set in a world you could access with a nice secret door, a storybook in doki doki panic and exit by waking up. Also subcon have a very strong link with dreams, that's why wart is a character in link's awakening. But it doesn't mean it's a dream as it was said in most of smb2, subcon is the world if dreams.

There's a contradiction, in fact.

"One night, Mario had a strange dream. He found himself climbing a long staircase leading up to a mysterious door. Opening the door, Mario's eyes fell upon an incredible world unlike anything he'd ever seen. A quiet voice spoke to Mario, saying,

"Welcome to Subcon, the land of dreams. Our once-beautiful world now suffers at the hands of the evil Wart. Please help us! Only you can free us from his tyranny. Oh, and remember one thing: Wart hates vegetables."

However, before Mario could figure out what was happening, he suddenly awoke on his bed and realized that it was all a dream. The next day, while heading out to a picnic with his friends Luigi, Princess Toadstool, and Toad, Mario told the tale of his strange dream. Hearing this was quite a shock to his friends, who all had the very same dream the night before.

Upon arriving at their picnic spot, the group noticed a small cave. Inside was a long staircase that led up to a door. At the top, the four friends opened the door and stood shocked by what they saw. It was Subcon - the world of their dreams!"

And if the ending says everything was a dream... It's clearly a contradiction.

I don't think that's necessarily a contradiction. I've had dreams before where I woke up from a dream; it's possible that these characters are still dreaming, but have just transitioned to another dream through "waking up" from that dream.

Aggh this sounds like a mess but I guess that's what dreams are, just a mess of thoughts and memories.

LED42 said:
There's a contradiction, in fact.

"One night, Mario had a strange dream. He found himself climbing a long staircase leading up to a mysterious door. Opening the door, Mario's eyes fell upon an incredible world unlike anything he'd ever seen. A quiet voice spoke to Mario, saying,

"Welcome to Subcon, the land of dreams. Our once-beautiful world now suffers at the hands of the evil Wart. Please help us! Only you can free us from his tyranny. Oh, and remember one thing: Wart hates vegetables."

However, before Mario could figure out what was happening, he suddenly awoke on his bed and realized that it was all a dream. The next day, while heading out to a picnic with his friends Luigi, Princess Toadstool, and Toad, Mario told the tale of his strange dream. Hearing this was quite a shock to his friends, who all had the very same dream the night before.

Upon arriving at their picnic spot, the group noticed a small cave. Inside was a long staircase that led up to a door. At the top, the four friends opened the door and stood shocked by what they saw. It was Subcon - the world of their dreams!"

And if the ending says everything was a dream... It's clearly a contradiction.

The ending doesn't say that it was a dream. They're just getting out of subcon by waking up.

Back