Would you prefer 2d animation or CGI for a new Mario Show or movie?

What kind of animation would you like for a animated Mario project

• Hand drawn

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Flash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CGI

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Claymation

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
What style should Mario take on for a new animated project?

Personally, I want to see a really good hand drawn Mario thing, you get a lot of good 3d models for Mario, so I want to see that is taken on less often.

Just letting you know that "CGI" does not mean "3D animation". CGI means "computer-generated image", and it generally refers to imagery in live-action film that is generated with a computer, and it's usually in 3D. Characters and environments in entirely 2D drawn with Flash is still considered "CGI".

Also, I want a 3D animated Mario show or movie.

I'd rather have a 3D animated Mario. As nostalgic as traditional hand drawn animation is, Mario has already had three, and nobody really does it anymore. I'd want something closer to the games (especially Odyssey) in terms of visuals.

I personally like any style, but 3D is my preferred medium especially since I'm trying to specialize in 3D art.

Start off with an period appropriate environment and outfits if it's a show(Red overalls, blue shirt, only three powerups, all Mario 1 stuff...).
Slowly work up from a purposefully medium budget style in cel to a higher budget, eventually switching straight to flash for the mid 90's.

Gotta agree with everyone that prefers 3D. For some reason I just prefer it over anything else.

I would prefer 2D hand-drawn art style, it still has a lot of charm to it (as the illustrated Super Mario Picture Books showed), but from a practical point of view, with the current knowledge of 3D CGI I think that way better animations can be obtained in a fraction of the time, I mean even the Star Fox short that looked like hand-drawn was actually cel-shaded. The way to obtain faster results in 2D animation is using vector animations, and so far the results when using said technique didn't look on par with hand-drawn animation with each frame done separately, to the point that even Paper Mario resorted to using full sprites with a stop-motion effect, and I don't think that was a bad idea at all...

So, for me, as wishful thinking, hand-drawn 2D animation with every frame done separately, at least a far as the characters are concerned, but I think 3D CGI will be the go-to choice.

Mister Wu said:
even Paper Mario resorted to using full sprites with a stop-motion effect, and I don't think that was a bad idea at all...
I do. Not the worst but I vastly prefer the smooth Flash-like animations in the 2nd and 3rd games (and a select few in the 4th) over stop-motion. If they're going to do full sprites, I prefer PM64's way of doing it, making animations still look natural and not choppy. In fact, I'd love to see PM64's style of animation in the updated style of TTYD.

As for a Mario show or movie, hand-drawn would be my favorite choice. I think the M&L style suits that very well (as seen in Japanese Superstar Saga commercials). 3D animation wouldn't be too bad either though, especially if it has similar expressive animation of Disney films such as Wreck-it Ralph.

While I prefer hand drawn animation in general, 3D would make much more sense for a Mario film/cartoon.

As far as hand drawn art style is concerned, I would like a style similar to the one seen since 2010 (the "Kotabe" style, although the actual artist might not be Yoichi Kotabe) for a simple reason: irises! Both the main MaRPG series, Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, lack them, and since I find that quite a few characters (including Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser and of course Larry Koopa and Wendy O. Koopa) do stand out also thanks to their irises, I would like to see them if hand-drawn animation involving Mario was made. Same for 3D CGI of course, although in the case of 3D CGI artwork I don't remember having seen illustrations without irises.

Back