Who watches Andi Mack? [Spoilers]

So on Andi Mack last night there was the one hour season premiere. I know this isn't the BEST place to talk about it, but...
I love they way they handled the storyline. What storyline you may ask?

DISNEY CHANNEL'S FIRST GAY STORYLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem. I love how he came out. I'll try to write it down by memory if you forgot.

Buffy:So did you get the baby taters?
Cyrus: I don't want any baby taters.
Buffy: You're scaring me.
Cyrus: I'm scaring me too.
Buffy: How come?
Cyrus: Remember yesterday when you asked if I was happy for Jonah and Andi? I said I was happy but I wasn't happy either.
Buffy: Why? Are you jealous?
Cyrus: (Nods)
Buffy: You like Andi!
Cyrus: (Shakes head)
Buffy: You like... Jonah?
Cyrus: (Nods) I- Have always felt- weird and- different.
Buffy: Cyrus you've always been weird. But you're no different.
Cyrus: You know the funny thing. It's right after I got my first girlfriend!

As I bisexual teen I love how they portrayed his coming out. Also did you know GLAAD and Common Sense Media as well as others helped make sure it was age-appropriate and realistic. And I can confirm IT IS! It makes me so happy to see this sort of thing on Disney. I hope it becomes normal in the future. I love how they didn't make it a Very Special Episode. Another good scene is...
Cyrus: You know I wait for the day we can all laugh and think about how me and Andi liked the same guy.
Buffy: You can have that now though.
Cyrus: Can you just not tell her.

I love the simplicity of this scene. He's not asking for much. Just Buffy's patience. Also when he says "we can laugh about liking the same guy" sticks out because it's not like he's gay but be forever single. He has crushes and they're going all in. While I support JYRUS, on Jonah's part it won"t work, and I think he'll be the last person Cyrus tells.

I hope you like this!

I find it weird when people make a big deal about lgbt+ characters, plots, etc. in media which aren't made out to be a big deal in said media

still odd

its almost like people saying they don't care about football and then screaming when some team wins the super plate

i'm pan and genderfluid and I personally don't care that much. don't get me wrong I think people should be really happy or at least ok with stuff like this, I just dont particularly enjoy people being hypocritical

Not sure what's hypocritical about it.

I think it's great that this is becoming more commonplace, because through this maybe one day it won't be a breaking news huge plot point for it to happen, and instead just part of the story. I watched the scene itself and I was amazed it wasn't treated as a joke, and that the actor genuinely looked to be distressed. It's nice to have that kind of image open in the media where I'm sure a whole ton of queer and questioning kids are seeing that and sympathizing with it, feeling less like they're an outcast.

Now don't get me wrong, there's always the question of "are media companies just doing this now that the LGBT are a marketable audience?" Well, yeah, probably, I'm sure there's a bunch of executives out there with that as their goal! That's capitalism! But as messy and problematic as that may be, it's indeed a critical step in how our society functions, and just like how detractors of this standard of societal evolution exists to criticize it, I'm sure there's influential people in positions of power (actors, showrunners, producers, etc.) who feel the same and just want to make a more positive impact on the world without the bigger buck being their focus.

Anton said:

I think it's great that this is becoming more commonplace, because through this maybe one day it won't be a breaking news huge plot point for it to happen, and instead just part of the story. I watched the scene itself and I was amazed it wasn't treated as a joke, and that the actor genuinely looked to be distressed. It's nice to have that kind of image open in the media where I'm sure a whole ton of queer and questioning kids are seeing that and sympathizing with it, feeling less like they're an outcast.

Now don't get me wrong, there's always the question of "are media companies just doing this now that the LGBT are a marketable audience?" Well, yeah, probably, I'm sure there's a bunch of executives out there with that as their goal! That's capitalism! But as messy and problematic as that may be, it's indeed a critical step in how our society functions, and just like how detractors of this standard of societal evolution exists to criticize it, I'm sure there's influential people in positions of power (actors, showrunners, producers, etc.) who feel the same and just want to make a more positive impact on the world without the bigger buck being their focus.
ohhh I think I get it now
x being made a big deal in y doesnt equal people making a big deal about x in y, correct?

Shadowshy said:
still odd

its almost like people saying they don't care about football and then screaming when some team wins the super plate

Being excited about minority and gender/sexuality representation is nothing like this random example. Like at all.

Also completely off topic, but as a sports fan I need to address this real quick, there is nothing wrong with not being super big into a sport or sports in general, but also being happy when your home town wins. Its fun to see people around you excited and happy, and theres nothing hypocritical about just enjoying your home or friends have success, or even just tuning in to enjoy one game or two a year. Theres no need to shame someone for liking sports only a little, or just giving it a chance and trying it out for a change because they heard *it was good.

* (in this case their team, but this also applies for shows, games, etc.)

Shadowshy said:
Anton said:

ohhh I think I get it now
x being made a big deal in y doesnt equal people making a big deal about x in y, correct?

Yeah, people being excited by their sexuality/identity being treated like a normal every day fact of life is huge. 90% of the time, we're told that if you arnt the straight cisgendered binary "normal" then there is something wrong with you. When a network as big and powerful as Disney has a show that just straight up treats it like a normal plot point or just your standard every day normal character treat, rather than using it as a character flaw, pretending people like that dont exist, or killing off and tormenting or marginalizing said characters with those traits, then yeah, its a big deal for people.

Cause its not an every day thing, and people like to see themselves in media, and be represented.

Hopefully one day we can just have these plots and characters in everyday media, and it wont be such a big deal because its as commonly accepted and considered as valid a character trait and plot as straight cisgendered plots and characters, but until then, dont be surprised when people get excited they are finally being represented and treated like normal.

And there is nothing hypocritical about that, thats just a weird thing to think, wtf.

There's also the issue that if moments like this don't generate enough positive feedback and public appreciation, there's always the chance of the bigwigs deciding "welp, guess people don't care about these kinds of things anymore, might as well withdraw our support and invest into something more profitable instead".

The narrative within the story and what's going on outside in the world of marketing, sponsorship, and the audience are two completely separate playing fields with different priorities.

I understand now, apologies to anyone I offended with my ignorance

I think its cute the way they are trying to approach it in this show, i believe it should be talked about as many kids struggle with their sexual orientation as early as it can be, like High School and such.

Good Luck Charlie tried to introduce something on this as well in one episode , so it's not really the first time Disney adressed it or even tried to but i guess they are making it more relevant this time.

Though, personally , i don't get that much hyped for gay storylines in shows aimed for a younger audience. My ideal type of show when growing up , and the shows i would like my children to watch , have always been a more daily and relatable kind of show with a little bit of comedy, like Lizzie Mcguire or That's So Raven.

Back