Dealing with Failures in Games

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
As humans, we are not perfect. Games also tend to have conditions where a player have failed, such as messing up too much or perhaps not completing the objective at an allocated time. With that said, in any game we play, we would inevitably have some form of failure, in either single-player or multi-player.

For example, I have recently expressed some frustrations in Splatoon 2's Splat Zones, where I failed a lot than I have succeeded, where I dropped to A rank from A+, which dampened my spirit as it felt like I am the worst player ever. Although, the fact that I am likely never going to be the best allowed me more leeway in playing around with different weapons, such as the Splat Dualies (a dual-wielding weapon that allows the player to shift their position quickly). Yes, I certainly got frustrations, but not enough to throw a tantrum.

It does remind me of the older days of me playing Pac-man World, which is a Pac-man 3D platformer. There is a level called "Spin Dizzy", where there's one checkpoint that is pretty further away from another, and my repeated failings had me quite frustrated. I believed my mother had to talk me out of this, and then after I overcome that part, it felt great.

How do you all deal with failures in games?

Thank you for reading.

Come back to it later with a fresh mind, no point playing something that's frustrating me. I'm fine with failing as long as it's a good time, but if it isn't a good time then why am I still playing this game anyway.

Take a breather and think about what I can do differently in that particular situation that can yield more favorable results. When I was younger I used to be pretty awful at that Peach invisibility potion segment in TTYD (as well as the cake baking segment in the original Paper Mario) due to the fact that I kept getting the timing wrong, I eventually used an actual timer to help out and to my surprise it worked.

I try not to let my frustrations get the better of me. As a kid I would usually find a way to brute force it but nowadays I usually turn it off and never get around to going back to it.

Speaking of which I have this thing sitting on my shelf that I should read at some point

OIrJR7j_d.jpg

i throw my controller sometimes but only when im extremely enraged (happened a bunch of time recently with fucking kingdom hearts chain of memories)

dont worry the entire floor here is carpet and im not aiming at the walls

I get pretty pissed if there's something absurdly difficult, even moreso if it's a difficulty spike. I try playing my way through it, but I'll criticize it if it's stupidly challenging in an unfair, not-fun way.

frustration is NOT something I handle very well and I think it kind of poisons me slowly but if there is some difficulty hurdle I can't get through, I'll be persistent.

Nah, I can manage to contain my anger when it comes to video games.

The thing that brought me the most frustration in any video game so far was the perfect run, I would just be like "NO! NO! FUCK IT! FUCK THAT LAST ELECTRIC WALL I WAS DOING IT, AND THE HAMMER BROS PART ISN'T ALL THAT BAD I COULD'VE DONE IT!"

I was mostly frustrated because I died after the hardest part of the level, at the area with the pull stars, which was super easy to me I never even lost amy points of health in the normal mission, but I did die on it once in the perfect run and that almost made me ragequit. But as far as I remember, I've never really ragequit anything, not counting unofficial games, like that one called Super Mario Bros X.

I think the only times where I get mad at a game is during bits where it expects you to do something very cryptic and specific without so much as a hint or at least a nudge in the right direction.

I follow this five step process:
  • Get frustrated at the game and turn it off
  • Leave game untouched for months, maybe years
  • Come back to game after the extended and completely unnecessary period of time
  • Wonder just what the heck I was doing and end up restarting the game just to figure it out
  • Repeat

To break the loop, I usually consult a guide of some kind. If that still doesn't work, then welp.

When I failed it means that I am tired I just quit the game and then try again with a fresh head. Now I often play online poker and when I started failing I know that I need to quit for a while. Currently I play on Unibet, found an additional info on one site. Fails in poker mean losing money and I try to prevent such situations.

cry

Alex95 said:
I follow this five step process:
  • Get frustrated at the game and turn it off
  • Leave game untouched for months, maybe years
  • Come back to game after the extended and completely unnecessary period of time
  • Wonder just what the heck I was doing and end up restarting the game just to figure it out
  • Repeat

To break the loop, I usually consult a guide of some kind. If that still doesn't work, then welp.

this reminds me of what i managed to pull off in touhou 8 once

i failed hard so i turned off the game and didnt touch it for months on end

started up again, beat it first try.

was a good day. I should do that again.

Back