Mario Kart RPG

Alex95

The True Power Master
Banned User
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Alex95
So, I was thinking about how the RPG aspects of the Mario Golf and Tennis games should return for (and they should), and then I thought "What other Mario spin-offs could this work with?" My mind immediately went to Mario Kart.

I picture it as you, a young boy/girl, joining a "Mario Kart Driver's School" of some kind with dreams of becoming the next biggest racer. Like with Golf and Tennis RPGs, there'd be original characters, and the more you race, the more kart pieces you unlock and stats you can improve.

I have nowhere near enough experience to make a game like this, and I doubt Nintendo ever will themselves, but what do you guys think? What do you want to see in a Mario Kart RPG?

I'd pass because if I want to play a Mario game, I expect to play as Mario characters. It's the problem I had with World Tour's Castle Club mode and it'll be a problem if the RPG mode has ever, ever returned. Unless you can actually use Mario characters in the RPG modes of the games, I'd rather they don't return it or at least have it completely optional (though it might drive up the price of the game since I'm going to be paying for substantial content I will not use).

I would actually really love a Mario Kart game that's similar to Crash Tag Team Racing, where the core of the game is a platformer/adventure with plenty of interesting things to explore and interact with and whatnot, while having racing thrown into the mix.

A Mario Kart game where you do something other than purely racing would be nice. Upgrading your kart sounds like fun but would obviously be completely broken if it went online.

I'd love a Mario Kart Need for Speed where you can buy different kart parts to upgrade your kart and destroy the Toad Police with blue shells. Would be fun.

Trunks Mario said:
I'd pass because if I want to play a Mario game, I expect to play as Mario characters.

Well, yeah, of course they would be (just maybe outside of "story mode"?). Why wouldn't you be able to play as a Mario character in a Mario game?

Ninelevendo said:
Upgrading your kart sounds like fun but would obviously be completely broken if it went online.

Heh, yeah. iirc, Mario Kart 8 has an option to race against others with a similar VR rating, so maybe something like that would work.

I wouldn't be opposed to more adventure stuff for Mario kart. I was kinda disappointed they never expanded on DS's mission things.

I thought this was a real thing from the thread title

I'd like an adventure mode but I still want to play as existing Mario characters. If they want to use new characters maybe use them as some of the adventure mode opponents and have them unlockable for those who like them. I loved Mission mode in MKDS and wish it wasn't cut from Wii.

Ninelevendo said:
I'd love a Mario Kart Need for Speed where you can buy different kart parts to upgrade your kart and destroy the Toad Police with blue shells. Would be fun.

On the meantime, I want a Mario Kart Burnout Paradise where you can explore a hub world, break through many billboards and signs, find shortcuts, and destroy your car in the process.

There could be a Mario Kart mode where it's like a destruction derby while racing on tracks and your goal is to destroy as much opponents as possible.

Mario Kart City Trial leading to Destruction Derby will be AMAZING.

City Trial is just amazing in general. I'd take Air Ride 2 over Mario Kart any day.

I'd like to see super duel mode come back in some form. Maybe make it a Mario Kart Battle mode? They're already using the "use your own parts" thing.

The first image that came into my mind was a dramatic animé-esque RPG, with heartbreaking death scenes and complex strategy-action-hybrid combat.
But with Mario Kart.

You've been reading too much Go! Go! Mario Kart from the Fami2Comic magazine.

Wouldn't mind seeing something akin to Diddy Kong Racing's adventure mode in a Mario Kart game. :diddy: :mario:

Back