Super Monkey Ball

Dr. Fire Luigi

All fired up!
MarioWiki
Luigifan312
A series that's pretty much dead, Super Monkey Ball is a video game series originally made by AV (Amusement Vision), until Sega took over. The game consists of rolling a monkey in a ball and getting to the goal while trying (or not trying if you're like me) to get the bananas. Simple right? Well think again! SMB1 and SMB2 (of course, super monkey ball and not super mario bros) were some of the hardest games that I have beaten! They were also some of the best monkey ball games imo. When Banana Blitz came around though, the game became more simplified and easier from now on and a lot of fans didn't really like that. The last game was Banana Splitz which came out in 2012 (unless you count an mobile game, SMB Bounce in 2014) which was pretty decent for a modern monkey ball game.

Custom stages however are being made in SMB2 since 2016 and it's really cool!

My thoughts on the series: 1 and 2 along with deluxe were easily the most challenging and fun, and the party games were super fun. I never played JR but it looks really tough. Adventure looked pretty bad but the stage design was okay I guess. I actually enjoyed Touch & Roll which, by the way was my first Monkey Ball game. Banana Blitz... I guess it's okay but the party games are pretty terrible. Maybe I can rant on all the party games. Step & Roll looked way too easy but maybe because of the Wii balance board was the main feature of the game. 3D though was just way too easy and short, has only 2 or 3 party games, but it looked good at first glance. Banana Splitz looks decent though. And finally the mobile games, I enjoyed them, too bad they went off the app store.

What are your thoughts on the series?

I vaguely remember playing one of these at primary* school.
Everyone would chant 'die' over and over whenever they weren't playing.
That's my experience with this franchise.

*elemntary for you yanks.

fun fact: the engine of f zero gx and ax is loosely (or strongly? idk actually ive never played fzero gx nor ax) based on the smb engine

I remember Super Monkey Ball Adventure being pretty fun.

And much frustration with Banana Blitz.​

Oh boy, this game. This game was my childhood. I only beat the main story this year because of how hard it is actually haha.

The party games were really fun too, Monkey Race was awesome and Monkey Shot is probably my favorite. Monkey fight is also cool too. Then there was the dreaded Monkey Target that my friends would always win if we had items on (which we usually did >_>).

Also, this game is a lot more deeper than I thought. If you know Baby, you probably didn't know that he came from the FUTURE to stop Dr. BadBoon's plot from preventing the marriage of AiAi and MeeMee. I don't know how, but the fact that it's part of the manual is very weird, but kinda cool.

i also can't believe how much I freaked out over a game about monkeys, and how I am currently fanboying about it :/

Back