Let's play Trivia Trap: User Edition!

Natalie J.

I have no mouth, but I must traffic.
Poll Committee
Pronouns
She/her
It's the game of trivia where even a right answer could get you in a trap! On Trivia Trap!

What is Trivia Trap?
Trivia Trap was a game show that ran from October 8, 1984 to April 5, 1985. It starred Bob Eubanks as host and put the Juniors (ages <30) and the Seniors (ages >30) against each other in a battle of knowledge and a race to 1000 points. Players split into teams of three and played two different rounds, and whoever got to $1000 first won the game and went on to play for $10000, while the other team split their amount and went home.

How does it work?
There are three separate sections to Trivia Trap - first, each team had the opportunity to choose a set of four answers from the two sets provided. The question was read, and each person on the team would have to choose an incorrect answer to cut. If they were correct in their choice, they received a different amount of money for each answer, going from $50 for one correct answer to $100 for two and $300 for all three. If they chose the correct answer to cut, they would only get the money they had earned to that point. For example, they would earn $50 if the second player chose the correct answer to cut. After the first team had their question, play moved to the second team an repeated like before. Each team got another set of answers before going to commercial and the remaining set was given to the home viewers.

In the second round, the leading team (or whoever was the returning champion, in the case that both teams were tied) went first in the "$1000 Race" round. The first played was presented with three categories to choose from, and when they chose they received a question. They had only a few seconds to answer before being buzzed out and the question being passed to the second player. If the second player didn't answer in time or guessed wrong, the third player guessed and if they were wrong, they lost the question and control went to the other team. If any of them got the question right, they won $100 for their team. This went on until either team got to $1000, when that team won and the other team left with their winnings up to that point.

In the final section, the teams are broken and each player plays for himself. The three teammates are numbered by the amount of correct answers they earned in the $1000 Race, unsurprisingly numbered 1, 2, and 3. To start, a set of answers is shown to player 1 and they have the option to play that set or pass it to player 2. If they play, they are read the question, and if they're correct they win $1000 and a chance to win $10000. If they answer wrong, they are eliminated from the game, albeit still returning the next day. If they pass, player 2 has the option to play or pass to player 3, and if they pass, player 3 must take the question. After someone takes a question, they are finished for that point, and play moves to the lowest numbered player until all three answer a question. After that, the rest of the players are presented with a set of answers and are given a question. If there are two or three players, each player locks in their answer on their podium, and it there is only one, they simply answer verbally. Whoever is correct wins part of $10000 to be split by whoever answered correctly.

Why did I explain all that?
Because I want to play with you guys. I need six people to sign up to start a game. The teams will be decided at random, and the red team will go first no matter who it consists of.

I'm also allowing multiple plays, so if you finish a game and want to play again, you're free to do so.

Also, part of this game will take place in Discord. I'll explain when we get there, but you will need a Discord account during one of the rounds because that round is very fast paced and wouldn't be able to be played well on only the forum.

Anything else?
Nope! If you don't understand anything, just tell me and I can clarify it for you.

So with that, let the games begin!

Like I mentioned, I need six people in order to start a game, so after I get those, there's going to be a few days for people to confirm (just to make sure there aren't any inactives) and then it'll all begin.

Signup List:
1. Koops
2. Yoshi the S.S.M.
3. SGoW
4. Luigi 64DD
5. Mister Apple
6. Freakworld

If you don't sign up in time, don't worry because you can sign up for the second game.

Okay, persons, don't get too mushy with me, I'm here for the prize.

Yoshi the SSM said:
I'll play. Oh, can you show me how to get connected with Discord?

If you go to discordapp.com, there should be a "Sign up" option, and it should guide you through the rest.

I never expected to hit 6 that fast but we did it anyway! I'll start the game on Monday, September 18 at 8:00 AM. Teams will be announced a little bit later tonight.

Mister Apple said:
What time zone?

EST.

While I'm here, the teams have been decided!

Koops
Luigi 64DD
Mister Apple

Yoshi the S.S.M.
Freakworld
SGoW

The game starts in about 14 hours!

Okay! So! I had some stuff to do in real life like school and chores, but fortunately I'm good to start whenever I want to today, so we'll do that as soon as I get this sorted out.

Mister Apple said:
Um, there's no way I can possibly do that time.

Since you're not going first, you don't have to worry about it. You'll have 24 hours after I say whether an answer is correct or not to answer, so there shouldn't be any problems.

I would start now; however, the first player up would be Koops, and according to my calculations it's a little after midnight where he lives, I'm going to start the game officially Tomorrow at 12:00 PM EST.

One question, would I need to have discord now to start the game? Because I don't want to delay this for everyone.

Refrigerator Kirby said:
One question, would I need to have discord now to start the game? Because I don't want to delay this for everyone.

No. You would need it at the beginning of the second round, and then that would be the only time you would need it in the game.

Also, it's 12:19 PM so that means time to start the game! There are two sets of answers, remember, and the team captain (for this game, Koops for the Red Team and Yoshi the SSM for the Blue Team) chooses the first set on their turn, then the person after whoever got the wrong answer picks it next time. I'll make the clearer when that happens.

So here we go, and the first person to pick is going to be Koops, so here are the two sets of answers for you:

-Family Feud
-Jeopardy!
-Match Game
-Wheel of Fortune
-Markiplier
-DanTDM
-Jacksepticeye
-Vanoss Gaming

Once a set is picked, we'll cycle through all the players on the red team and try to cut all the incorrect answers.

I guess I'll go with Set 1, because the second is all Youtubers I only know about their names.

The list of game shows has this question with it.

Which of these still-running game shows premiered in its first form on December 31, 1962?

Remember, each player has 24 hours to answer.

Somewhere, somewhere deep down in my gut I have a feeling it's... Wheel of Fortune!

Are you saying that's the correct answer or is that an incorrect answer that you want to cut?

Oh, ok I see. Then I'd cut Family Feud.

Sorry for slow response time, school and homework and that stuff isn't helping that much.

Can we cut Family Feud?

Capture_2017-09-12-22-33-42-2.png

That picture indicates a correct choice, which means the remaining answers are Jeopardy!, Match Game, and Wheel of Fortune, and next in line is Luigi 64DD.

Can we cut Match Game?

Capture_2017-09-12-22-33-42-1.png

I'm sorry, the correct answer was Match Game. Family Feud debuted in 1976, Wheel of Fortune in 1975, and Jeopardy! in 1964.

We leave the Red Team with $50, and go over to the Blue Team and Yoshi the SSM, and present these two possible selections:

-Silk
-Lactaid
-Garelick
-Hood
-Markiplier
-DanTDM
-jacksepticeye
-Vanoss Gaming

The answers again are Silk, Lactaid, Garelick, and Hood, here's the question:

Which of these milk brands has the slogan "Tastes like better"?

Back