Characters Abilities in 2D Platformers

GmanSir

2 Dimensional
We all know the drill for 7 of them in 3D games. Mario is balanced. Luigi jumps slightly higher, but has worse traction. Peach jumps slightly lower, but can float. Toad jumps worse, but is the fastest. Rosalina is slightly slower, but has her Spin Jump. Wario is slowest, jumps worse, but is "stronger". And Yoshi can't "attack" or walljump, but can flutter jump and has his tounge.

Now the first five characters have an easy time translating their abilities into Mario side scrollers. But what about Wario and Yoshi? How do you translate strength into side scrollers? How would you balance them to be playable in side scrollers?

Also, how would secondary characters like Daisy, Waluigi, and Toadette's play like?

Strength could be additional jumping power. Wario, for example, could kill koopa troopas in one stomp. Except you don't always want to do that. It would be difficult to balance, I suppose.
They could add a mechanic where you can remember things, and Daisy would have the best memory, man.

Give Wario a simple, slow melee attack. Not necessarily his shoulder barge or anything that can break blocks or make level design and secret discovery notably simpler for Wario, but something that allow to kill enemies without jumping.

Don't Wario and Yoshi have their own 2D series? Wario turns out to be pretty athletic and Yoshi can actually deal damage.

I always pictured Daisy and Waluigi having a sort of sports-inspired moveset, but I'm not sure how well that'd work in side scrollers. Daisy would be stronger than Peach, and Waluigi would be able to jump higher than Wario (maybe higher than everyone?). Toadette would be slightly weaker than Toad, but be able to run faster and jump higher.

Baby Luigi

His special ability is "being playable" :/

Bowser's special ability is that you don't have to play the game and you just sit in your room at home till somebody comes in and beats you up for about 5 minutes then leaves.

Baby Luigi said:
Baby Luigi

His special ability is "being kidnapped" :/
fixed

Mario's special ability should be having extra health that would make him beginner friendly but also viable for more experienced players (I don't think Mario's LACK of anything special makes him really stand out compared to Luigi, Peach, and Toad).

It's also as big as a battleship.

I would just simplify it. Like a passive ability of sorts. Just look at how the character is designed and their most basic traits, and convert that into an ability. We might actually see what Daisy's passive might be very soon though (pls Nintendo don't be lazy and give her the Toadette treatment)

Back