who/what got you into video games?

Lord Bowser

listen
Banned User
as the title says, who or what got you into games in the first place?

when i was a kid my sisters played with me on a snes, and then i got a gamecube for (i think) my 5th birthday, and ive been hooked since

I am a pathetic youngling, so my first console was the Wii.
It was just that a friend had one, and I thought it was cool.
We played Mario Kart Wii, and I was terrible. I drove into a wall, and stayed there for the entire race.
Now, things have changed. The world has moved on, and I have improved at Mario Kart Wii.
But, to commemorate this event, every now and then I go on to Luigi Circuit and ram myself against a wall for the entire race.

either the N64 Mario plushies or that Super Smash Bros. 64 commercial which prompted them to buy the game and it's the first game that hooked us

or that's the narrative my family told me since I was in to Mario at, like, five years old.

Well, the rest of my siblings were already into Nintendo when I was born so I was into video games as soon as I was old enough to play them.

On something like my 5th birthday, I got a bootleg 8-bit console, forgot what it was, but it somehow had Super Mario Bros on it. My mom told me that this guy was Super Mario, and I was like "he's cool!"

Then I got the Wii, and discovered how big Mario's world really was.

My Mom used to play Video Games, and owned a GBA and a DS because of it. When I was around 4 or 5, my Mom let me and my sister play her GBA and DS. She wasn't and still isn't interested Video Games anymore.

I remember tapping the single player icon in the bottom right corner of the screen while Playing MKSC, wondering what it did.

When I was about 2 years old, I had to go to the doctor a lot for an injury I had at the time. At one point they said I had poor hand-eye coordination. My mom had an NES growing up so she popped in Super Mario Bros.. I died a lot and got frustrated, but my coordination was better and I've been playing games since.

I don't remember much, but I started with Game Boy Advance. When we (my family) saw the Wii, we decided to get it (back then it was for Wii Sports duo). The rest you can say is history.

Well, when I was like 6 or 7, i got to play Super Mario Bros Deluxe on a friend's gameboy, and that was my first experience with vidya.

What really actually got me into video games, though, was everyone in like... first or second grade, I forget which, talking about Pokemon. So I decided I wanted to see it for myself, asked for Pokemon Blue and a GBC for christmas, and I never looked back!

It was back in 2009, and my Mum and Dad bought a Wii for us as an anniversary present to themselves, along with Mario Kart Wii. I think we had Wii Sports with the console, but I don't remember that, and my earliest memory is me sat on my Dad's lap with the two of us holding the Wii wheel and controlling Peach in the Wild Wing approaching the first set of jumps on DK's Snowboard cross. All of my early Mario memories are with Mario Kart Wii and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games for DS.

i don't remember what triggered this event, but i got a ds when i was about 6 years old (2005). i got really excited to show my sister that i had gotten one, but i found out she had gotten one the day previous as well. when my brother was old enough, he got a ds, too. playing with my siblings was a big part in how i continue to play them, even to this day.

we played nsmb together, fighting over the game cartridge. the 3 of us got our own separate copies of acww, and visited each other's towns a lot. nowadays, we all love to play acnl together, as well as multiplayer wii/wii u games like mario kart 8.

My brother got a DS lite for his birthday in 2007, which inspired me to get one as well. His is white, mine is pink. I still keep mine, so I can play Gameboy Advance games (Specifically Mario VS Donkey Kong)

Back in the olden days, I usually played licensed girls' games, such as Disney Princess: Magical Jewels (My first game), and Ubisoft's "My Fashion Studio"

My parents sat me in front of a PlayStation to entertain me before I even started remembering stuff. My father also played command & conquer games with me when i was like 4. And my uncle has a sizeable video game collection (mostly Nintendo).

Tldr it's in the family I guess

My babysitter had a snes and that was cool
then we got a snes and that was even cooler

Close family friends we stayed with in america had a gamecube and i spent a lot of time playing melee and luigis mansion and i loved it so much, luigis mansion especially

Got a gba for my birthday shortly thereafter, and then an og xbox for christmas

When I was about age five, my family won a free Gamecube and copy of Super Mario Sunshine through some contest my mother's company had. It was my first experience with video games, and with it, Nintendo secured my money for years to come. We used to gather around the television to watch my sister play Sunshine. As a little tyke, I was taken in by the game. We have old family videos from the first few months after getting the game that show me acting out the cutscenes. Over the next few years, we amassed a lage collection of Gamecube games and I got a GBA at some point. As time went on, I branched out into other series and developers.

My first game was either Altered Beast or Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on Sega Genesis. Years later, when I was 4, I went to Wal-mart and discovered a game where you play as a boy beating up skeletons and other monsters on X-Box. I then called it "The Skeleton Game" and would play it every time I went to Target or Wal-mart. Later, on Christmas 2004, I got this game along with an X-box and discovered that it was called "Grabbed by the Ghoulies" and would play it all the time for the next few grades(and I would later come back to it to beat it many times) along with other X-box games including The Incredibles, Spongebob Squarepants: The Movie, Madagascar, and some Burger King games. There was also a childrens' haircut place with Nintendo 64s that I would go play Smash Bros. at every time and had a Gameboy that I would play Pokemon on. Later, in 3rd grade for my birthday, I got a Nintendo DS along with Yoshi's Island DS. I would then get more consoles, Smash Bros. games, Kirby games, and Mario games later on. In recent years, I've gotten more into gaming outside of Nintendo and some older, less relevant games. I got into the Resident Evil games, a PS3 and PS4 with a few games such as Skyrim , GTAV, and Devil May Cry. Recently, I've become addicted to PC gaming with my gaming computer that I got a month ago. My current PC library consists of The Orange Box(Half-Life, TF2, Portal bundle, Garry's mod, Undertale, Overwatch, Outlast, Mega Man Legacy Collection 2, and Dead Space.

my parents got me a nintendo 64 when i was about three? they owned a shop back in the 80s-90s and sold records, video games etc. so i'd guess that's probably where they got it from. i can remember playing super mario 64, mario kart 64 and bomberman 64, but i'm sure i had more. i was too young to really know what to do, and also the theme that played in super mario 64 when you get a message from bowser scared me like hell. so i kinda didn't really use my nintendo 64 much.

when i was about seven my parents got me a playstation 2 for christmas, and i got really into it. a few years after that is probably when i first got into playing pc games.

i only got back into nintendo when i was 10. i got a ds lite on the day it came out over here. at first, the only nintendo games i had were nintendogs and brain training, but then i got interested in stuff like mario and pokemon and things kinda snowballed from there.

My dad had the original Game Boy with Super Mario Land, Tetris, Tennis, and Golf. I used to watch him play and then eventually started trying it out myself (although I'm sure I had no idea what I was doing since I was like 1 or 2). Eventually that Game Boy and those games became mine and later on a Game Boy that my grandpa had became my brother's (the only game I remember him having though was The Hunt for Red October). When the SNES came out, my parents told me we were going to get it and that it would be like "playing Game Boy on the TV." And I distinctly remember just holding up the Game Boy to the TV and asking "like this?" haha. But I think Super Mario World is what really cemented things for me. It was a lot easier to tell who Mario was in that game. Plus I was watching the cartoons by that point.

Back