3DS Max issue

Paper Mario

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
I'm fiddling around with a character model in 3DS Max and one object is ever-so-slightly misaligned. But every time I move it back into position, it snaps back to the initial position when I deselect it. Google gives me all sorts of issues that aren't this one. Could someone tell me what might be causing this and how to fix it? Thanks.

Nope, no red border or highlights. I just began using this version of the program on this computer shortly before making that post so I haven't really messed with any settings.

EDIT: The issue seems to be gone now, despite I did nothing since then except add textures. Still odd that it came up in the first place.

EDIT 2: Never mind, it seemed fixed but I noticed it had snapped back again when I move a different object.

Are you using the Skin Modifier or anything? Making mesh edits while having an active Skin Modifier may snap them back to original positions.

Did you copy any objects and copy them as "Instances" rather than "Copies"?

? Could've sworn I already replied to that but eh.

Nope, I have copied objects but I specified "copy"

This issue isn't too hard to work around though, I just save the stubborn object for last and save/render after getting it into place. Right now I'm having more trouble figuring out how to apply normal bump maps.

To apply bumpmaps, first open the material editor.
Then, use the dropper on the material editor window, pick a texture from the scene.
Scroll down, until you see "Maps". Expand it.
Click on the "None" slot for "Normal map"
Then, when a new window pops up, hit "Bitmap", and now, find your texture.

Thanks :) Though I didn't see a slot labeled "Normal" or "Normal map", just "Bump" which I applied the map there and it rendered properly for one texture but not another.

Would you by chance know anything about porting between different Wii U games? I've been playing around rendering basic poses and such, but what I really want to do is get this model into Mario Kart 8 (it was made for Smash 4 but the mod creator said porting to other things is fine as long as he's given credit)

Of course the model I refer to is the Fawful Sm4sh mod by SeanHicksArt, easily the best model of the character I've ever seen and one that's already made for a Wii U game. Loaded directly into 3DS Max, he has a whole bunch of separate head, glasses and teeth models that appear awkwardly merged together, same with hand positions. For normal posing (such as for the image in my sig) I just delete the ones I don't need but I don't think that would work if I wanted all these expressions to work in a mod. Where would I start if I were to port it?

I guess this has become a sort of 3D-model help thread more than that specific issue in the OP, but it's similar enough that another topic would be redundant IMO :P

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
Thanks :) Though I didn't see a slot labeled "Normal" or "Normal map", just "Bump" which I applied the map there and it rendered properly for one texture but not another.

They're pretty much used interchangeably. If you search for either on google, you'll pretty much get similar results: a blue-ish colored texture used for emulating model topology.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
Would you by chance know anything about porting between different Wii U games? I've been playing around rendering basic poses and such, but what I really want to do is get this model into Mario Kart 8 (it was made for Smash 4 but the mod creator said porting to other things is fine as long as he's given credit

https://gamebanana.com/tuts/12327

I haven't actually tried to replace a model yet, though, so i can't troubleshoot Mario Kart 8 related problems if you have problems with porting. You could also ask Swiftie_Luma for help there, though, as she successfully ported a model to Mario Kart 8. I'm too much of a lazy ass to try yet.

Do you know how to skin a model from scratch? You're going to have to do that with Fawful if you want to get him into kart. Also, considering Mario Kart 8 either uses facial animation or textured facial expressions, you can't exactly make the same flexibility of facial expressions as you could do in Smash.

Oh so the bones it already has won't work then? That's a setback since I've tried rigging tutorials in the past and been completely overwhelmed.

Technically, it does work as it is, but if you want to model import into other video games, say Mario Kart 8, you HAVE to use a boneset from Mario Kart 8, unless you want to recreate animations from scratch and that takes a bloody long time. The Fawful model probably uses bones from Sm4sh over another character, hence why it works in there.

The thread I linked to Game Banana has a skinning tutorial. I also wrote a skinning/rigging tutorial myself buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut the sites that host them keep coming down so....

Look if you want to model import into other games, you absolutely need to learn how to skin/rig. It's one of the basic, required things for any model imports.

Back