The "Why I hate _____" Thread

GmanSir

2 Dimensional
Many of you guys and gals seem to have this one certain character you dislike. This thread if for you to explain why.

The only characters I don't like are the Nokis. I just personally think they look ugly.

Dry Bowser (As a playable character), because he is simply Bowser after he has fallen in lava, which gives him a couple of different abilities, but does not make him a separate character, just a waste of a character slot.

I hate Yoshi.
Yoshi_%28head%29_-_MaS.png

He was actually cute and tolerable back when his design wasn't so stupid and humanoid. The worst thing about him is his goddawful voice though. I have no idea why Daisy is cited as "the annoying one" when Yoshi is far worse. I tend to be a little more tolerant of other noises people find annoying like Navi, Daisy, the low-health noise in Pokemon, many children characters in movies, but Yoshi drives me up the wall. One of his losing voices in Mario Kart 8 is so whiney and it makes me mad. His "Ha Ha YEAH", "Ya-ya'er!! and "YO YO, YOOOO" and that blubbering star get voice from Mario Party 4 and both his friggin taunts in Mario Party 8 give me migraines. Super Mario Galaxy 2's Yoshi's voice is THE absolute worst Yoshi voice in the series, like he's trying waaay too hard to be cute and he comes off grating and making me want to punch a pillow.

If he isn't annoying as hell, he has a goddamn boring personality, and when he's depicted with more than a bland nice thing, his "jokes" are "lol I eat a lot" and "I'm hungry" and he's more often than not a complete dolt. He leads Baby Mario straight into danger, with "twin empathy link" thing being a weak justification to risk Mario's well-being. In the Mario cartoons, he screws things up because he eats important things and decides to join a gang because Mario scolded him. He's also a coward, ditching Mario when he's hit or when they're about to go the Ghost House. How's that for Mario's second jump?

I guess you can all him a female that identifies as a male because he lays eggs except HOW he lays eggs, that's not how nature works. He throws his own shit, there's no other explanation. It's to top off Yoshi's overall shittiness.

I used to like this character before Mario Power Tennis, I really did, but his voice in Mario Power Tennis seemed to be a special case. He acted like a general prick as an opponent and I guess it didn't help that his CPU was a dick in Melee. Now, he's just an slimebag who I avoid using at all costs, even as a punching bag though there are cases where, like in Smash 4, I nerf him to oblivion by increasing the endlag on his moves seventy-fold and making it deal zero damage while giving some of his sound effects farting noises.

800px-YoshiUniversalGravitation.PNG

Disclaimer: No offense intended to Yoshi fans. Nothing personal to them. You can hate Mario all you want but I myself have to be honest about my feelings toward Yoshi. No, I won't kill your Yoshi OCs or anyone who identifies as a Yoshi character because they're probably articulate, way smarter, and likely more interesting when it comes to communication and are therefore redeemable.

I also think the old Yoshi is cute and okay. Just look at this

800px-SMWGPB1_Yoshi.png

I even made a custom model of it.

BBQ Turtle said:
Dry Bowser (As a playable character), because he is simply Bowser after he has fallen in lava, which gives him a couple of different abilities, but does not make him a separate character, just a waste of a character slot.
I want to listen to you vent about Wario, c'mon.

BBQ Turtle said:
On the same token, Metal Mario as a playable character, because he is simply Mario after he has broken open a Metal Box and donned a Metal Cap. And don't give me the "he's treated as a separate character in Smash Bros." crap. No, he's not. He's still Mario with a Metal Box. Smash Bros is a game where you can have multiples of a single character. They're called "palette swaps" and that just what Metal Mario is in Smash Bros., NOT a separate character. Case closed.

Why, I use :metal: to torture :wario:

Plus point, he's also immune to that gas.

I don't dislike many Mario characters. I do like some fan-least favorites, such as Kersti (She's cute, and is very clever) and Pink Gold Peach (She's very good for trolling and triggering Nathaniel Bandy). Though there are characters that are not Mario characters, that I don't like being in Mario Kart.

The Inklings.

I have nothing against them or Splatoon (Heck, I want to get Splatoon 2 along with my Switch if I get one) but this may be stupid of me to say, but Mario Kart isn't living up to it's name. Here's the characters in Mario Kart 8 DX I feel should have been replaced:

Baby Rosalina by Diddy Kong
Inkling Girl by Pauline
Inkling Boy by Nabbit
Merge the two Villagers back into one slot, and replace the other slot with Geno
Place Metal Mario and Gold Mario into a drop-down menu for Mario, and put Birdo and Ashley the two slots the two Mario recolors were in

Toad.

It mostly stems from Paper Mario -- Sticker Star and onward that is. I thought he was fine in Mario Kart 64 (and that was my favorite voice for him) and I tolerated him in later games. I like Toadsworth and the other distinguished Toad characters such as those in Paper Mario and TTYD. But you have no idea how long as a Paper Mario fanboy I anticipated Sticker Star. The series had never disappointed me. I even remember on the day it released I was returning from a camp and immediately looked up final boss videos when I came home. That was disappointing but at least it didn't ruin Bowser's future RPG appearances. Toad though, seriously they removed all the diverse NPCs of the old games for those... things? Paper Jam added insult to injury, demoting Paper Toads even further into the equivalent of sheep. I wonder how the Toads in Paper Mario or TTYD would feel about that. Color Splash was an improvement but not enough. Basically Toad was never a super outstanding 10/10 character yet I feel they are over saturating a series that used to have a lot more creative characters.

I'd still argue that Toads are one of the more creative NPCs this franchise has ever had.

Problem is they can feel stale due to over saturation.

And I think everybody knows what characters I hate at this point.

I hate Toads for simply being everywhere, otherwise I wouldn't care that much about them.

The characters I hate the most are the ones that are made for Mario Kart. Metal Mario and Dry Bowser? A bit annoying, but at least they existed before Mario Kart Wii/7. But Baby Rosalina/Pink Gold Peach/Baby Daisy? Why? Why do they need to be in the game? If they needed to add more babies (for some reason) then they could've added ones that were in a previous game, like Baby Bowser, Baby Wario, or Baby Donkey Kong. Donkey Kong Jr. would also be applicable. It also irritates me that because of them Birdo isn't on the roster anymore! (I'm not a huge fan of Birdo, but Birdo is one of the staples of the franchise. Also, if you dislike Birdo, replace the last two sentences with Diddy Kong, everyone's favorite member of the DK Crew.)

I am glad that my boi :waluigi: was included this time around though

Mcmadness said:
I'd still argue that Toads are one of the more creative NPCs this franchise has ever had.

Problem is they can feel stale due to over saturation.

And I think everybody knows what characters I hate at this point.

Let me get my list...

:wario:
:waluigi:
:daisy:

Oh no, Mcmadness likes Wario and doesn't give a crap about Waluigi or Daisy. It's characters like Dimentio he can't stand.

Julia-BM said:
Merge the two Villagers back into one slot, and replace the other slot with Geno
Place Metal Mario and Gold Mario into a drop-down menu for Mario, and put Birdo and Ashley the two slots the two Mario recolors were in
This is not how slots in a roster work, though. You can't just merge two recolors and expect resources to be saved.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
I really thought you hated him before Sticker Star.

I have my list for Mcmadness

Dimensio.png
CountBleck.png
MimiDefaultSprite.png

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
He wasn't in my face enough to hate him, but he wasn't one of my favorites.
Anyone you hate before Sticker Star? :P

LeftyGreenMario said:
Anyone you hate before Sticker Star? :P
Hm, I'd have to try to remember because I wasn't online much back then to express it. Not Daisy because she was just painfully average and I hadn't been exposed to her fanbase yet. Oh yeah I got one, Honey Queen. I don't really hate her now though, indifferent more like.

The funny thing is I used to not mind Daisy until I really got to see her fanbase. Now I despise her on principle. People's constant desire for her to be given more spotlight and recognition have actually hurt her image more than helped it.

And it's staggering just how many of them there are. It's like there's some giant underground cult of people who worship Orange Peach.

GalacticPetey said:
The funny thing is I used to not mind Daisy until I really got to see her fanbase. Now I despise her on principle. People's constant desire for her to be given more spotlight and recognition have actually hurt her image more than helped it.
Incidentally, I've begun feeling the same way about Geno, Fawful, and Dimentio. The moment I see one of them in a Mario Kart or Smash roster, I get annoyed on the spot.

Maybe this is a bit out of the scope of this thread, but roster padding really is dumb. It's almost like Nintendo don't have enough faith in their games, so they add cheap recolours or whatever to make tem appear to have content. At least Daisy takes effort to add, what with all the animations and modelling. Metal Mario or Pink Gold Peach just* take some retexturing, and hey presto, roster slot.

*probably (I know very little about this kind of thing)

Nah, you're pretty spot on with Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach. Hell, their appearance in Mario Sports Superstars don't even have them with unique animations and a unique voice for the most part.

Plessie (the Evil Dinosaur), as it took us age to figure out that he wasn't an enemy so we kept claw attacking him and poking him on the Wii U gamepad, and only found out we had to ride him when my brother accidentally jumped on him. And there were three of us trying to figure it out. Aside from that his levels are absolutely pants, you can't hurt him in anyway really, his stamps and green stars were the hardest for us to get, we died loads of times on his levels, his design is awful (Like an orange Yoshi who was squashed under a ton of bricks or something), and he sounds awful and the noises freak my cat out. I hope he never comes back.

The thread title doesn't say I have to say why I hate a character so let me talk about Mario Party 8 for a bit.

It's not good.

The board design was not good except for like, one board which wasn't even that memorable, the minigames are boring except for also one that isn't very memorable, and MC Ballyhoo can go die. The setting is boring and uninspired, and in all honesty, story mode had potential but was ruined by how unrewarding it is. The only thing I remember having actual fun doing was playing Cut from the Team, just because of its unpredictable nature, but other than that I can't stand Mario Party 8.

And it got second in Favorite Mario Party? Come on, guys, you can't put it one vote behind the best Mario Party game.

Back