Do you consider SMAS and the SMA series to be remasters, remakes or ports?

Do you consider them to be remasters, remakes or enhanced ports?

• I consider Super Mario All-Stars and the Super Mario Advance series to be remasters.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • I consider Super Mario All-Stars and the Super Mario Advance series to be enhanced ports.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I consider Super Mario All-Stars and the Super Mario Advance series to be remakes.

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Banned User
For me, I consider all of them them to be remasters. Though, I would consider Super Mario Bros. Deluxe to be a enhanced port since it doesn't offer anything else other than extra content and it uses the old 8-bit graphics.

Remasters! They should have made the SNES versions of the SMB games be the default version.

Now that I think about it, remasters of Mario games are quite rare, and often happen in handhelds these days.

Console to handheld ports include:

Super Mario 64 DS (with Luigi, Wario and Wal- I mean Yoshi and new Stars)

SMB Advance 1-4 (ports with SMB3 getting 30 new levels)

Yoshi's Woolly World with Poochy and new amiibo patterns including :daisy: :waluigi:

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D with 8 new levels and a more forgiving mode.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with all DLC :bowjr:, Splatoon content, double items, 200cc included, and a revamped Battle Mode...and one new amiibo suit.

To me, they are just remakes

edit: by the way, just because something is a remake, doesn't mean you don't buy it. If you don't have the original, then buy a remake.

Mario 64 DS is the last remake/remaster/enhanced port of a main series Mario platformer for a long time. People are begging for Sunshine to have a remake or remaster.

My answer is: SMAS is port, but Advance series is remake.

I feel that Super Mario All-Stars are generally ports because they offer the same game for enhanced graphics. The bonus is that it has a save system, so the hard work is not totally gone as long as progress is saved. Super Mario Bros. 3 especially is neat in this regard because it also saves your item collection.

I consider the Super Mario Advance series and (Super Mario Bros. Deluxe to a lesser extent) to be remakes, mainly because they added a good deal of elements that make them different from the originals. One thing that surprised me is how much they added to Super Mario Bros. 2, namely adding large objects, adding a new boss, have scoring, new collectibles, and above all, voice acting. This is by far the most definitive version of Super Mario Bros. 2, which I like to think is due to showcasing the GBA's new technology, and doing as much as possible in the odd gameplay style of Doki Doki Panic (that they might not even go back to).

Then, you have SMA2, which made Luigi play differently compared to the original, and have certain elements work differently from the original (example: castle levels can be replayed and they have Dragon Coins). SMA3's Yoshi Island added 6 new levels and even a bonus ending for clearing them all. Then there's SMA4, that made extensive use of the e-Reader for new levels (that is accessible normally on the Wii U's VC version). Another element that these remakes did was to change the level design for some levels to suit the GBA's smaller screen, as well as make everything generally brighter to better suit the original GBA's lack of backlight. With that said, I feel that compared to SMA1, these changes aren't as major, although they are still significant enough.

Between the Advance series and the originals, I vastly prefer the former, because it features voice acting. In fact, it gave Super Mario Bros. 2 a lot more personality for this reason. I wouldn't mind them bringing back Wart if he could be voiced by Charles Martinet again, just for the novelty of having the hero and the villain sharing the voice actor.

Still though, it's pretty strange that the Game Boy Advance is a time where the only original Mario platformer game is Mario vs Donkey Kong.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
My answer is: SMAS is port, but Advance series is remake.

I feel that Super Mario All-Stars are generally ports because they offer the same game for enhanced graphics. The bonus is that it has a save system, so the hard work is not totally gone as long as progress is saved. Super Mario Bros. 3 especially is neat in this regard because it also saves your item collection.

I consider the Super Mario Advance series and (Super Mario Bros. Deluxe to a lesser extent) to be remakes, mainly because they added a good deal of elements that make them different from the originals. One thing that surprised me is how much they added to Super Mario Bros. 2, namely adding large objects, adding a new boss, have scoring, new collectibles, and above all, voice acting. This is by far the most definitive version of Super Mario Bros. 2, which I like to think is due to showcasing the GBA's new technology, and doing as much as possible in the odd gameplay style of Doki Doki Panic (that they might not even go back to).

Then, you have SMA2, which made Luigi play differently compared to the original, and have certain elements work differently from the original (example: castle levels can be replayed and they have Dragon Coins). SMA3's Yoshi Island added 6 new levels and even a bonus ending for clearing them all. Then there's SMA4, that made extensive use of the e-Reader for new levels (that is accessible normally on the Wii U's VC version). Another element that these remakes did was to change the level design for some levels to suit the GBA's smaller screen, as well as make everything generally brighter to better suit the original GBA's lack of backlight. With that said, I feel that compared to SMA1, these changes aren't as major, although they are still significant enough.

Between the Advance series and the originals, I vastly prefer the former, because it features voice acting. In fact, it gave Super Mario Bros. 2 a lot more personality for this reason. I wouldn't mind them bringing back Wart if he could be voiced by Charles Martinet again, just for the novelty of having the hero and the villain sharing the voice actor.

Still though, it's pretty strange that the Game Boy Advance is a time where the only original Mario platformer game is Mario vs Donkey Kong.

Thank you for reading.

To be fair, SMAS is really just a remaster kinda like Wind Waker HD or Twilight Princess HD. It's the same old 6502 code but the graphics and sound are improved.

Pwwnd123 said:
To be fair, SMAS is really just a remaster kinda like Wind Waker HD or Twilight Princess HD. It's the same old 6502 code but the graphics and sound are improved.

Yeah, you got a point. I've checked Wikipedia and it would seem that the act of porting is used when a software is directly translated from one computer system to another, such as the numerous Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. ports in the early 80's.

In that case, neither SMAS or the Advance series can be consider ports. There might be ports of certain Mario games, but the games that you mentioned in the topic's title certainly aren't.

Thank you for reading.

Back