Solar Eclipse 2017 - here it comes boys

Lord Bowser

listen
Banned User
so as you most likely have heard everywhere by now, there will be a total solar eclipse on monday, august 21, 2017. the central us wil have the best view of it, with some spectacular sights right in the path of totality. a few lucky users i know are right smack in the middle of the path!...

[me=LB]glares enviously at df[/me]

anyway, here's the projected path of the eclipse as it moves through the us
whole-us.jpg

in the western half of the country, it will occur in the morning, around 9 or 10 am local time. as it moves through the country, it wil happen later in the day, beginning at around 1 pm local time.

so, are any of you going to see it at totality? any special plans or trips? discuss.

Re: Solar Eclipse 2017 - 14 days away!

Nope, too far up north to see it. As far as west coast states go I've never really cared about Oregon until now

and we might be able to kinda see it too

I don't understand, when did indiana ever do wrong

If I wasn't part of the central US, I would just barely miss it, right.

Anyways, I saw it on a library poster... which I have been going to for a class on getting a job. It is on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10:00 to 11:30. Both AM.

Wow we're actually way closer to the line than I thought

Well time to go south on the 21st

We will all see some extent of the solar eclipse, but totality is only in the regions in LB's OP.

Here's a full chart of some % coverings

Solar-Eclipse-2017.png

Unfortunately, I live in the 80-70% region, nowhere near the path. I will still check it out outside though.

I don't live in the totality zone, but it's a short enough drive to take a day trip to it, which is what I'm doing. :)

DragonFreak said:
Javelin said:
Runs directly over me, it's pretty great.
Let's start the "we get the best seats in the world for the eclipse" club
Finally, my time spent living in South Carolina is paying off!

Guys remember not to look directly into the sun!! Not even through a camera lens, with sunglasses, and most certainly not with binoculars or a telescope. It can cause partial or full vision loss. The only safe way to look directly at the sun is with certified eyewear.

http://time.com/4890397/solar-eclipse-damage-eyes-protect/
https://www.livescience.com/60173-solar-eclipse-eye-damage-warning.html

I don't even live in the US, but this is phenomenal for those Americans.
Watching the NASA Twitch stream.

(Australia will never get their total solar eclipse)

i was supposed to get 99% of it but it started raining right when it covered the sun that much :luigi:

Not 100%, but I saw pretty much saw it covered and even saw something outside the sun. After that, there was clouds. Which, kind of help a bit to see it. But, it's not good to look at the sun for long without protection (which with the clouds is total blackness).

infinite8 said:
(Australia will never get their total solar eclipse)
australia next gets one on july 22 2028 (rip), but they get a total lunar eclipse on january 31 2018!

Back