Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy are becoming 15 and 10 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Banned User
It has been like fifteen years since Super Mario Sunshine came out and it feels not all that old. It has also been almost 10 years since Super Mario Galaxy 1 came out. It doesn't feel all that old to me. It feels like yesterday that these came out and they still don't seem that old but they are actually already old. I think it's time to celebrate the anniversary of these games and talk about what these games established and how well they fare up.

Super Mario Sunshine introduced many elements to the Mario series that would still be part of Mario games today fifteen years ago (which is a decade and a half).

The elements introduced are Shine Sprites, Bowser Jr., Petey Piranha, Toadsworth (he hasn't appeared all that frequently, Peach's ponytail hairstyle (which would mostly be seen in the Mario sports and Mario Kart games starting with Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour and Mario Kart: Double Dash!! respectively, and in realistic situations where women usually have their hair tied back in real life which is why I think Sunshine added a sense of realism into the series). Super Mario Sunshine marked the second time Peach ever did her hair up with the first time being in All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. (where it was a Japanese cultural Shimada updo) though Sunshine introduced the ponytail which became a common recurring hairstyle for the princess and was a plain generic updo unlike the Shimada (which is a cultural updo) which had only been seen again at the Kyoto Cross Media Experience in 2009. I admit I have a bit of an obsession with Peach and her hair. This is among the few elements that are still being seen in Mario games fifteen years after its release.

Super Mario Galaxy also introduced one element into the Mario series that we are currently seeing in Mario games today.

That one element is Rosalina and her Lumas. It's been almost ten years since her first appearance.

reminder the passage of time between Super Mario Galaxy and now is greater than the passage of time between Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS (also a reminder of your own mortality)

Super Mario Galaxy came out when I was four

Is it possible to feel old and young at the same time?

Glowsquid said:
reminder the passage of time between Super Mario Galaxy and now is greater than the passage of time between Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS (also a reminder of your own mortality)
Yeah. Super Mario 64 was 8 years old when it received its remake (or enhanced port as some people call it). The passage of time between Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy is certainly greater.

Super Mario Sunshine is certainly old enough to have a remake or remaster. People have been wanting it since Super Mario 64 DS was out. I want to see the remake or remaster.

Also it has been 10 years since Samantha Kelly became Peach's current voice actress. She lasted longer than Jen Taylor. I really do miss Jen Taylor's Peach voice.

It feels like missing that Soundblaster Yamaha OPL2/OPL3 FM Synthesis or the Soundblaster AWE32/AWE64 Wavetable Sound tbh in MS-DOS games and Windows 9X (along with Windows NT 4.0 and below for Windows NT versions prior to Windows 2000 which utilized the Windows Driver Model from Windows 98 which was based on the old NT driver model) for a not so good analogy.

Sunshine is one of my favorite Mario games, and I'm glad to have played it. I absolutely loved how open it was and the atmosphere was beautiful, thanks in part to a wonderful soundtrack by Ms. Shinobu Nagata and the legendary Koji Kondo.

Wow, it's hard to believe that Sunshine being a 15 year old game hasn't been re-released on Virtual Console or receive a remake/enhanced handheld port. Mario 64 was 10 years old when it was re-released on the Wii Virtual Console along with the N64 being featured as part of the Virtual Console and 8 years old when it received it's enhanced handheld port on the DS. Nintendo skipped GameCube games on Wii U Virtual Console but are finding a way to hopefully implement that on Switch Virtual Console.

Sunshine already has become 15 years old and now we're at the end of August. Now November will mark SMG1 turning 10.

I don't think the voice acting feels old; it was just bad to begin with. I think other games at that time had better voice acting, so bad voice acting isn't necessarily an attribute of old games.

Luigi 64DD said:
I don't think the voice acting feels old; it was just bad to begin with. I think other games at that time had better voice acting, so bad voice acting isn't necessarily an attribute of old games.
To be fair a lot of TurboGrafx-16, Sega CD, 3DO, PS1, Sega Saturn, and even N64 games did have far worse acting than Sunshine. Tonnes of examples: Mega Man 8 (that was purely garbage), Mega Man X4 (X's voice was the only voice that was terrible), Resident Evil 1 (this one is humorous at times), Clock Tower, and Last Alert.

Sunshine's voice acting is okay, just average, and maybe around Mega Man X4 level.

I'm only 5.5 months younger than Mario Sunshine? Wow. That's kind of surprising :P

Let's see, January 2003...

Wow, only now do I realize how close to Sunshine's release date I was born.

Btw Galaxy came out when I was four but I got it something like three years later.

I would also add Piantas, Delfino Plaza, The Coment Observatory, and Captain Toad as other significant additions.

Roll and Maria Renard said:
Sunshine's voice acting is okay, just average, and maybe around Mega Man X4 level.

Mega Man X4's should never be used as a baseline for "average"

If Super Mario Sunshine ever does get remastered, they might either keep the original voiced dialogue intact or if there are additions then, it'll be hard to have Dolores Rogers and Jen Taylor reprise their roles like how Leslie Swan did for Peach in Super Mario 64 DS.

I think trying to get Jen Taylor and Dolores Rogers to reprise their roles is the challenging part that's keeping Sunshine from getting a remake or remaster since they no longer voice Peach and the Toads (Jen Taylor) and Bowser Jr. (Dolores Rogers) anymore.

Since November will mark Super Mario Galaxy's 10th anniversary and that's when Samantha Kelly became the permanent defacto voice of Peach. I made a special video about it.

Wow, July and August passed and Sunshine became 15 years old. Super Mario Galaxy's 10th birthday and anniversary is coming right up and with Super Mario Odyssey coming right around the corner, it will be a big month.

And we're now in November. This month marks the 10th anniversary of Super Mario Galaxy 1. It was one of the biggest pinnacles in the series that has been only surpassed by Odyssey which came out two weeks ago.

And wow, November went by and Super Mario Galaxy 1 became 10 years old. Both Sunshine and Galaxy 1 (including Rosalina and her Lumas) celebrated their anniversaries and we're approaching the end of the year.

SMG1 is going to be coming on the Nvidia Shield soon. I hope the Shield version comes to the Switch with improvements along with Galaxy 2.

Sunshine should also be coming soon hopefully. It should also come to the Switch as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back