Graphics text in Super Mario 64

In case anyone was wondering, no, I did not flip-flop the words in the title. This thread is about the text in some of the graphics used in Super Mario 64.

First, there's the one we all know about: "Eternal Star", or, as some used to think it was in the days of the "Luigi in Super Mario 64" hoax's popularity, "L is real 2401". I'm pretty sure it's "Eternal Star", there's not much evidence against. What I'd like to know is what the text below it is. Some in the "Eternal Star" camp think it's "We hope for" or something along those lines. The "L is real 2401" camp, on the other hand, seems to universally believe it's "In Paper M", which, as hardcore Mario history buffs know, was actually called "Super Mario RPG 2" at that point in development, when Nintendo was still on relatively good terms with Square, which had co-developed the original Super Mario RPG for the SNES. I just want to know what that bottom text on that plaque really is.

And then, of course, there's the sign and noticeboard graphics. For the former, I could only make out three words: "I" (the first), "am" (the second), and "Mario" (the fourth), all on the first of three lines. For the latter, it's also a three-line affair, except there's some blue text above them all which I have reason to believe says "Notice", and there also appears to be a signature at the very bottom. Apart from that, I'm pretty much stumped.

I'm going to need some good, hard clues, as I'm hoping to make a texture pack of my own and make it look like both a decent scale-up from the original 240p (or, more accurately, 224p) graphics mode the game employed and an accurate hi-res rendition of certain graphics.

I wish we had images in this topic so I could take a look at the signs.

Your wish is my command.

...At least, it would be if I could get the images to work right or send attachments. Could be a while.

I'm not sure if the text is actually discernible or if it's just a blurry squiggle employed by the artist to give the illusion of text.

I'm pretty sure it's not a blurry squiggle. Perhaps we might want to properly scale some text in the SM64 dialogue box font?

Might as well be lorem ipsum text.

Well, we all know what the one on the left is, and the one in the middle looks nothing to me like "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera".

Well, I must say, years ago, I was one of the dumb players who hunted for Waluigi in Super Mario 64 DS and of course that text, interpreted as "L is real 2401", played a huge role. I heard about having to run around the fountain 2401 times, collecting 2401 coins in all the courses and other dumb stuff. Usually it would end with the empty character door, for which the glowing rabbits have the key, changing into a Waluigi door.

That was years ago, when I still had the first-generation Nintendo DS. Today, I no longer believe in Waluigi in SM64DS, and I never believed in Luigi in SM64 of course, and the text saying "Eternal Star" or even being a lorem ipsum text seems much more realistic.

If you want, I can use my capture card to take screenshots of those mysterious signs ;)

PS: Wouldn't be a funny idea to include Luigi textures for Mario (or Waluigi if you're going to create a DS version of the mod too) and using the text "L is real 2401"? :D

Back