The evolutionary definition of good and bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMVS7

Monty Mole
Banned User
To basically sum up my worldview in one statement, my good moods/feelings are very profound, powerful, and beautiful experiences for me. This is not a matter of value judgment. These good moods/feelings themselves truly have this profound and beautiful quality. I look at the experiences themselves and truly see what they are. I do not project any value judgments upon them. As a matter of fact, according to my view, value judgments do not exist and it is only our moods/feelings that possess value giving qualities. But like I was saying, any given experience in the absence of my good moods/feelings truly possesses no good value giving quality to my life. These are experiences that can give no joy, beauty, good value, worth, inspiration, or happiness to my life. Again, this is not a matter of value judgment on my part.

Re: My Super Saiyan Analogy

m7JtV7y.jpg

Yeeeeaaaaah I'm gonna need a tl;dr on this one

Tuxedo Ridley said:
Yeeeeaaaaah I'm gonna need a tl;dr on this one

tl;dr he's endorsing hedonism as the only true path to a meaningful life

What about the human ability to take what you'd call "good value" and de-value it? Let's say for breakfast every morning you eat the most delicious apple. It's healthy, it tastes good, and it's a great way to start the day. Eventually, though you start to de-value that apple. You don't really enjoy it anymore, or you want to try something else - even though it has "good value".

Isn't it possible to have "good value" and still feel terrible? Who's better off? Someone who has plenty of objectively "good value" and feels terrible all the time, or someone who's convinced that their orange is an apple and feels great?
yes im replying seriously, fite me

thanks OP

http://vocaroo.com/i/s16hli32anzp

Actually, let me rephrase this whole story/analogy. The state of hopelessness and depression that this character is in would be the Dark Super Saiyan forms. It wouldn't be his normal state. The Dark Super Saiyan forms are an analogy for our unpleasant moods/feelings such as hopelessness, disgust, and despair. They are the only forms of awareness that can allow us to become aware of bad value, hell, sadness, misery, suffering, and torment in our lives. An anhedonic state would neither be a Super Saiyan, a Dark Super Saiyan, or his normal state. It would be a holographic state where this character would be represented as a holographic figure. This is a state that symbolizes neither feeling good nor bad at all whatsoever. This is the only state of awareness where you become aware of a life where there is neither good value, bad value, joy, beauty, heaven, suffering, hell, torment, or misery.
False. There is no such thing as a Dark Super Saiyan.

Unless it's something like Super Saiyan Rose, which seems to be exclusive to beings with divine ki like Goku Black. Not quite the analogy here, The only other Super Saiyan used by an evil character is the Legendary Super Saiyan, but that just turns you into the Hulk so I don't know where that fits in.

But that raises a good question, where do Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan Blue come into play? How about Super Saiyan Rage? Do the advanced grades of standard Super Saiyan used by Vegeta and Trunks in the Cell saga have any special connotations? And of course, does the Oozaru form mean anything?

This may be the most irrelevant thing I've ranted about.

Javelin said:
What about the human ability to take what you'd call "good value" and de-value it? Let's say for breakfast every morning you eat the most delicious apple. It's healthy, it tastes good, and it's a great way to start the day. Eventually, though you start to de-value that apple. You don't really enjoy it anymore, or you want to try something else - even though it has "good value".

Isn't it possible to have "good value" and still feel terrible? Who's better off? Someone who has plenty of objectively "good value" and feels terrible all the time, or someone who's convinced that their orange is an apple and feels great?
yes im replying seriously, fite me

I don't think it's possible to have any real good value and worth in your life while feeling terrible. If you enjoyed the apple less, but still enjoyed it, then that would be a lesser form of good value to you now. It just won't have the great amount of good value it had to you in the beginning.

Snack said:
This is, frankly, psuedo-objectivist garbage that makes me want to drink.

Feel free to point out anything I've written that you thought was garbage and I will attempt to come up with an argument against your point.

MattMVS7 said:
Feel free to point out anything I've written that you thought was garbage and I will attempt to come up with an argument against your point.

All you do is repeat the same half dozen words and sentences a few dozen times in a barely comprehensible way for far longer than it needs to go on for, and the only real argument I can figure out from it is something about hedonism being the only important thing in life and empathy is bad and makes you feel dead inside or something. Like, pretty sure most people besides teenagers (like, I've been there – I apologize if I'm assuming wrongly that you are a teenager, but; most likely it'll get better) or sociopaths get something emotionally out of helping other people, given humans are social creatures, even besides the fact that you can't have a functioning society without it.

Sorry, but it pisses me off.

Snack said:
MattMVS7 said:

All you do is repeat the same half dozen words and sentences a few dozen times in a barely comprehensible way for far longer than it needs to go on for, and the only real argument I can figure out from it is something about hedonism being the only important thing in life and empathy is bad and makes you feel dead inside or something. Like, pretty sure most people besides teenagers (like, I've been there – I apologize if I'm assuming wrongly that you are a teenager, but; most likely it'll get better) or sociopaths get something emotionally out of helping other people, given humans are social creatures, even besides the fact that you can't have a functioning society without it.

Personally, I thought what I have written was very comprehensible. I had good punctuation, spelling, and I articulated my points quite well. But I just don't agree with most of the values and teachings of society. Therefore, I personally define what I think is true value, worth, joy, beauty, and happiness. It is just my own personal philosophy.

Snack said:
MattMVS7 said:

In addition to the previous reply I have made to you, I would also like to say that I have deleted all of those repeated terms to make it easier on the reader as you've suggested.

MattMVS7 said:
In addition to the previous reply I have made to you, I would also like to say that I have deleted all of those repeated terms to make it easier on the reader as you've suggested.
Readability has greatly improved, thank you.

I can kind of agree with your approach to the whole "pursuit of happiness" thing, but would have to disagree with the assertion that no "good value" can be derived from interactions with others - in fact, I would say that there are "good values" that can ONLY be derived from interactions with others. Mental stimulation from a good conversation. A sense of safety when someone is there to help you out. Pride at group accomplishments.

While obviously not physical "good values", values such as these are likely important to emotional/mental health. After all, if humans don't really benefit from having each other around, why do family units exist? Why is peaceful cooperation so successful? Why does civilization work at all? Wouldn't most people just grab what's important to them and leave? Seems to me like there are some emotional needs that are filled by human interaction.

Considering the effort he put into this post, and the fact that he's responding to comments, I'm led to believe this might not sort of odd trolling attempt.

And if it is, hey, let's see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Javelin said:
MattMVS7 said:
Readability has greatly improved, thank you.

I can kind of agree with your approach to the whole "pursuit of happiness" thing, but would have to disagree with the assertion that no "good value" can be derived from interactions with others - in fact, I would say that there are "good values" that can ONLY be derived from interactions with others. Mental stimulation from a good conversation. A sense of safety when someone is there to help you out. Pride at group accomplishments.

While obviously not physical "good values", values such as these are likely important to emotional/mental health. After all, if humans don't really benefit from having each other around, why do family units exist? Why is peaceful cooperation so successful? Why does civilization work at all? Wouldn't most people just grab what's important to them and leave? Seems to me like there are some emotional needs that are filled by human interaction.

Empathy and character strength would be nothing more than brain mechanisms that fool us into believing that our lives can have real good value to us without our good moods/feelings. This fooling mechanism was there since it offered all of the benefits you have mentioned. But, again, no actual awareness of good value can be had for a person without his/her good moods/feelings. Sight and hearing are forms of awareness that allow us to visualize objects and perceive sound. In that same sense, our good moods/feelings are the awareness of good value and worth in our lives. Believing that you can see and hear won't work when you are blind and deaf just as how believing that your life has good value won't work either without your good moods/feelings. You would have to be delusional to think it does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back