Hudson Mario Beta and More Information Found

So by now you all should be familiar with Super Mario Bros. Special for PC-8801 and Sharp X1. The game is far from obscurity nowadays and its siblings, Punch Ball Mario Bros. and Mario Bros. Special, are on the same path.

But we still don't know everything, mainly about the latter two. I've researched countless Japanese sources, but have yet to find a firm release date for either, nor where even the Wiki's dates came from. I also discovered a few other versions last year that are now on the Wiki, but excluding the PC-9801 version go undumped. And what about the forgotten fourth that's worth of its own category, Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu? Again, I've researched it to no end, but have yet to find a firm release date beyond the Wiki's October 1984 (which I got from these sites, I created that page). It's not even dumped at all, and the chances of that changing are slim.

Though I have some good news: I've gotten closer to solving all this. I found out that these games were advertised in a Japanese magazine called Micom Basic Magazine, and bought several issues from 1984 (no SMB Special here) I knew to have them. Not only have I limited down release dates, but I actually found beta of Special and Dai Gyakushuu. It appears that different versions of these games actually had different release dates, and that Punch Ball might have been a last-minute work and been released after Special - October's states that DK3: DG would be released that month, while Special, bearing no date, apparently already had at least one version released. Punch Ball wasn't mentioned once until November. Some versions were also added or cancelled in the future, as seems to have been indicated by issues I don't have.

Where would be the best place to upload these images?

I don't know where to host them, but one of the pages was archived here, though I got better images of it: http://famicom.chu.jp/pc/log-page/no0006.html

If you know a good place to host them, I'll put them there.

Any images and additional info can just be added to the game's page itself, just upload them and stick them in the gallery. Just be sure to categorize them correctly!

If the dates we have on the wiki are incorrect, they can just be removed or replaced, and the references we have for them should be corrected. You seem to have put a great deal of effort into finding all the missing information, so feel free to correct anything you find.

Hey, looks good! Always interesting to me to see how much levels have changed over time :)

Few things you should know about the images though. Left a message on your wiki talk page so you have an easy access to that info ;)

Back