Wiki ads

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
14:41 WikiGuest46 i just got redirected from one of this website's wiki pages to an advertisement website... without clicking anything...
14:42 WikiGuest46 i think someone is doing something shifty with whatever ad network you use
14:46 Anton{Politoed} I've had that happen before but only on certain browsers
14:46 Anton{Politoed} which one are you using
14:46 Anton{Politoed} I'll pass a message along
14:46 WikiGuest46 i'm using chrome
14:46 WikiGuest46 i can give you the link i was redirected too, if that's useful
14:46 Anton{Politoed} sure
14:47 WikiGuest46 http s://verosmedia.com/verosad/832739274.js?pubid=fb9580c293&domain=http%3A%2F%2Fmariowiki.com&t=BQBDRkRYc2R3cnAaBkdbX0hrfGpwdhsFR1lCSXdwdnZ8BgZXODg%3D

I wasn't sure where else to post this so I guess here works. I've had this happen to me before while trying to get on the wiki anywhere other than my own laptop, which is probably because I'm not logged in or using adblockers. Ads are fine and necessary and I understand all of that, but it's pretty annoying to be trying to click links only to just have it constantly be redirecting you to an outside site that sketches me out. A solution probably could be to just log in, but can't something else be done about the ad content to avoid this kind of thing? Thanks!

edit:
14:54 WikiGuest46 yeah, i did a google search and it looks like others are having the same problem on different websites
14:54 WikiGuest46 it appears to be someone abusing the ad network
14:55 WikiGuest46 all of the redirects originate with that verosmedia url and have the originating website in the url, similar to how that link has mariowiki.com in it, i believe it's a way for the advertisement to track traffic

I can't really solve things, but I know at least Chrome will at some point put limits on what an ad (or any other embedded site) can do without user interaction.

But yeah, especially mobile ads are prone to this and is also a reason I don't use the mobile versions of both sites on my phone, and use adblockers elsewhere (among other reasons).

I don't want to derail this or anything but I admit to using adblock on every website specifically because I had shit like this happen on newgrounds, that is ads basically rendering the site unbrowsable because content elements stop working because they're overlaid with ads.

And I'm not going through the trouble of whitelisting every website that does not have malicious ads (Arguably I had adblock disabled here for a while until I got all those gay manga ads). Also, recently I've found out that I'm completely dropping support for websites that are banning adblock users.

It's really sad that it had to come this far but I think there really needs to be a change in the way internet advertising works in general. Showing ads is fine, but you need to make absolutely sure shit like this doesn't happen. I'm very sure I'm not the only one who's just blocking ads because they're opening pop-ups and are broken as fuck.

Back