OBS won't record properly

Natalie J.

I have no mouth, but I must traffic.
Poll Committee
Pronouns
She/her
I downloaded OBS a few days ago so I could record my emulator, but when I attempted to just record Project64, all I'm getting is a black screen and my mouse cursor when I hover over the window. I got a screenshot so you could see exactly what's happening.

Screenshot_4.png

Is there a setting I need to change or what?

have you set it to window recording?

make double sure you have the right window its recording

also, right click on the icon you use to start obs and select graphics card and internal graphics, that fixes 95% of all problems obs ever has for me

I do have it set to window recording. I'll check on the other thing too.

Update: I don't see that option when I right click, is it under another drop-down menu or something?

10896d1a951c40a68298f2790c4a0b66.png

also while youre at it, try the 64 bit version as well (or the 32 depending on which one youve been using before)

I've been on the 64 bit version, so I'll try the 32. Will check on the other thing if I don't forget again.

Sorry for double posting, but it looks like I don't have that option unless I'm missing something.

Screenshot_5.png

that probably just means that you don't have a video card in which case youre on integrated graphics by default

also while youre at it, check if any other methods of recording work like webcam, monitor recording, game recording, etc.

because if none of these work it might just be a general problem in your settings and not something specific

like for me for example monitor recording doesnt work unless im on integrated graphics and not my video card

My webcam works, but I'm not sure how to check the other two.

I think I'm using a different version than you are because I downloaded the latest update which I believe was May 21? I'll still see if I can get that though. (If I knew what any of it said :P )

yeah i had that for a while but i deinstalled it because i like the old look more

also here are all my settings. i record and stream using those frequently.

MCXAEb.jpg

Kmv6oz.jpg

xf2zSN.jpg

sZOBRr.jpg

A lot of the settings in your menus aren't showing up in mine:

Screenshot_6.png

Screenshot_7.png

Screenshot_8.png

As you can see, the Encoding menu doesn't show up either.

Koichi Kizakura said:
that probably just means that you don't have a video card in which case youre on integrated graphics by default
Like I can't help with OBS and stuff, but I do want to mention that this menu might just be an extra that NVIDIA does, which means that if he has some other brand of graphics card it doesn't appear.

I.e. my laptop happens to have it, but my desktop doesn't.

Update: I figured out how to get it to record more than a black screen (there was a snap setting that was enabled, I disabled it) but now when I try to record it's dropping about 50 frames a second. It also makes my emulator incredibly laggy, usually dropping the framerate to only about 45 FPS. Is this inevitable, do I need an internet connection, or what?

Back