Forced update, thought I had that disabled

Paper Mario

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
Got up this morning. Instead of my computer being the way I left it, it was on the home screen. Apparently "We've updated your PC" and there was a longass wait before I could do anything. Everything I had open was now gone because Windows decided to ignore the fact that I had it set to only update when I tell it to. Or so I thought, IIRC my settings have been preventing automatic updates ever since I got this thing, what changed I have no idea but I'd really like to know how I can make 100% sure this bullshit doesn't happen again.

im not sure you can even disable those updates

they are handled seperately from normal system updates, apparently.

ya mean that wasn't a normal update, but a 100% mandatory for everyone thing that resets your PC no matter what you're doing? Well fuck that's shitty.

k now I'm getting a random beep once in a while, it's loud af and i have no idea what it is, i don't see any notifications or anything odd, just a random loud ass beep.

I think only Windows 10 professional allows you to outright stop updates. You can prolong them with some setting in the standard edition but eventually it will be like OK TIME TO UPDATE NOW

ugh that is so shitty. I don't want Cortana but now I can't disable it without fooling with the registry which is terrifying as fuck. Not to mention there was no warning unless it happened after I went to bed, because I left my shit open expecting to go back to it in the morning.

Fawful & Cackletta said:
k now I'm getting a random beep once in a while, it's loud af and i have no idea what it is, i don't see any notifications or anything odd, just a random loud ass beep.
I feel like a dumbass. This is Discord. I guess it's doing it when a random room I haven't visited in months has a new post. I would've never figured that out if I didn't spot the speaker icon in that tab just now when it happened.

Back