Top Ten Super Mario Odyssey Music - Countdowns discussion thread

What would you most like to see me write? (See current thread update for details)

• More Countdowns

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • A section analyzing music from various Nintendo games (sort of like Mario's Boombox but with officia

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • A game review section (possibly Marioverse Reviews but I might want to be open to non-Mario games)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Czario

Rightful ruler of the kingdom of Russia!
MarioWiki
Luigi 64DD
This is the official discussion thread for my 'Shroom section, Countdowns. Here you can share you opinions on the section and read some bonus content. The current countdown is Top Ten Super Mario Odyssey Music.
Here is the link to the current thread update.

Archives
So, as you have already seen if you've read the 'Shroom for this month, I've started a new section entitled Countdowns, where I count down various things Mario and Nintendo related. Hooray! This month's theme is the Top 10 Super Mario games, by which I mean the platformers only. Here is a link to the thread: Top 10 Super Mario Games (The_%27Shroom:Issue 121/Critic Corner#Countdowns). This thread will serve as a discussion thread for that section. Did you agree or disagree with my list? Do you want to punch me in the face? What is your personal list of the best Super Mario games? Inquiring minds want to know. Also, there is a poll asking what countdown you would like to see next. Keep in mind that while the results of the poll will affect my decision, it will not guarantee which one I will do next. Finally, as a bonus, I am including in this thread #17 - 11 of the Super Mario games I think are the best. I hope you enjoy!

17. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
This game is so similar to Super Mario Bros. that it's more like an expansion pack than a new game. Also, it is frustratingly hard. There's not really much more to say about it. If you like really hard versions of already existing games, then this one's for you. But I personally would leave that to the ROM-hackers.
16. New Super Mario Bros. 2
120px-Raccoon_Mario_-_New_Super_Mario_Bros_2.png
"Are you sure this isn't a remake of Super Mario Bros. 3?"
This is the game that embodies the complaint of unoriginality in the New Super Mario Bros. series. Reused music? Check. Reused World themes and visuals? Check. Bringing back random aspects from Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World? Double check. What makes it worse than the other NSMB games is that it's only original powerup is a fire flower that generates coins (Gold Flower) and it's just way too easy. Despite all this, it's still a solid game, which attests to how good the Mario series is in general. It's also a good game for kids who are just getting into the world of Mario thanks to its easiness and simplicity. But for Mario veterans (9-Volt), these things make it one of the weakest titles in the series.
15. Super Mario Land
Now we come to one of the more obscure titles in the series--for the average person, anyway. While Super Mario Land has a great soundtrack, an original setting, and a plethora of weird (Tokotoko) and wonderful (Mekabon) enemies, it is generally not as good as Super Mario Bros., the game that it most resembles gameplay-wise. Specifically, it's graphically inferior, it has only 12 levels compared to SMB's 32, and its physics are not as good. Overall, it's still a fun game, but it doesn't live up to the standards that the other games set.
14. New Super Mario Bros. U
New Super Mario Bros. U largely suffers from the same problems as New Super Mario Bros. 2, but on a somewhat smaller scale. Its visuals are more unique and it has more original power-ups (Super Acorn) and music tracks. It made a small attempt at originality with Bowser's invasion of Peach's Castle and the Bros. (and Toads) being thrown out. This was nice, but it was certainly not enough. As with NSMB2, the game does not fail to deliver the classic Mario platform goodness we all know and love, but that's unfortunately about all it delivered.
13. Super Mario Bros. 2
Well... um... this is the one game on this list that I don't have much of an opinion on. It's basically only at this place because I needed to put it somewhere and I can't compare it to the others very well. So, if you love SMB2, don't pull out your torches and pitchforks. Please?
12. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
120px-MarioZone.png

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto.
This game is perhaps one of the more underrated entries in the series. This game is a lot like Super Mario World in some ways, such as its gameplay and graphics. In other ways, it is incredibly unique. The different areas in this game are some of most creative out of all the sidescrolling games. Going to space (Space Zone), shrinking to the size of ants (Macro Zone), braving a turtle's gut (Turtle Zone), and entering a giant robot of himself (Mario Zone) are just a few of the things that Mario can do. Honestly, I can't think of any big flaws in the game except maybe the fact that has only one new power-up (Carrot) that isn't incredibly interesting. I could have put this higher on the list, but the following games are all good too. However, I almost feel a little bad for putting this lower than the next game on the list.
11. Super Mario Sunshine
A very controversial game, eh? Many people say it's not very good. Many reasons are cited for this, such as certain (Pachinko Game) infamous (Lily Pad Ride) levels, a decreased focus on platforming in favor of the F.L.U.D.D. mechanic, questionable story choices, and bad voice acting. In spite of all this, it still has memorable locales, good music, and at least some of the exploration that made Super Mario 64 so great. While it might be one of the lesser 3D titles, it's still a worthwhile experience.

Go here (The_%27Shroom:Issue_121/Critic_Corner#Countdowns) for the rest of the list.
Bonus content for Top 15 Mario Music (May Issue 122)
Bonus content for Top 10 Worst Mario Kart Characters (June Issue 123)
Bonus content for Top 10 Wii U Games (July Issue 124)
Thread update for Top 5 Worst Nintendo Mistakes and Top 5 Successes (August Issue 125)
Thread update for Ten Retro Courses I Want In The Next Mario Kart Game (November Issue 128)

Re: Top 10 Super Mario Games - Shroom section discussion thread

First off, welcome to the team! You did a good job on this!

Super Mario 64 will always be my top game purely on nostalgia alone. But not counting nostalgia, my list would be pretty much the same as yours, though I would probably swap NSMBWii and 3D Land, and Sunshine would be placed higher up (though I'm not sure how high up).

Thanks! I can understand switching NSMBW and 3D Land. And yeah, I probably focused on the bad aspects of Sunshine too much and not enough on the good stuff. It really is fun to play and is interesting setting-wise. It also was less linear than even SM64, although whether or not that's a good thing is up for debate.

I love Super Mario Bros. 2 but I'll pull out my torches and pitchforks anyway because it's fun.

Anyway, I'd probably rank Super Mario 3D World higher on the list because multiplayer is awesome, even though it does have a quite ton of really crappy design problems. And I totally agree with you that Champion's Road is a terrible level.

I'm not too passionate about Mario platformers aside from Super Mario Bros. 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario 3D World, and Super Mario 64 DS (and Galaxy to an extent), so I'm afraid I can't really comment more outside from that.

I did want to see your Top 10 Worst Mario Kart characters. Idk I love when people rant about this type of stuff.

Replace the Spiny in my avatar with Baby Luigi holding a pitchfork and there you have it.

Did you have a person who was not very good at SM3DW playing with you? Cuz that makes it even worse. At the time, my younger brother was not too good at it, though he got a lot better after playing 3D Land. Technically, I never said Champion's Road was a bad level, just that I don't feel like beating it; I can't really make a judgment on it if I haven't beat it.

About the worst Mario Kart characters, be warned that if you share opinions with your sister on a certain character (you can probably guess who), you are certainly gonna disagree with me. :evilgrin:

Champion's Road is a terrible level. Beautiful to look at, but not all that great in the platforming compartment, especially with the depth perception problem. We wasted over 300 lives just on that level alone.

Smiley Man said:
Did you have a person who was not very good at SM3DW playing with you? Cuz that makes it even worse. At the time, my younger brother was not too good at it, though he got a lot better after playing 3D Land. Technically, I never said Champion's Road was a bad level, just that I don't feel like beating it; I can't really make a judgment on it if I haven't beat it.

About the worst Mario Kart characters, be warned that if you share opinions with your sister on a certain character (you can probably guess who), you are certainly gonna disagree with me. :evilgrin:

My sister is around the same level as me playing 3D World, and we're better than our friends, so it's not that bad most of the time, especially if you don't take the game too seriously.

Metal Mario likes to be hated on, even Mario Sports Superstars knows it :smug:

Alex95 said:
Champion's Road is a terrible level. Beautiful to look at, but not all that great in the platforming compartment, especially with the depth perception problem. We wasted over 300 lives just on that level alone.

I think it's both hideous and unfun to play on.

No, not Metal Mario. The one I'm famous (infamous?) for hating. I bet LGM would know who I'm talking about.

Mario himself? Man she'll hate you for sure.

No, no, no. I afraid you'll just have wait to find out. Or look in my ask board to a question that A51 Trooper asked me recently, but not the most recent one. Now that I think about it, I can see how you wouldn't know, since she doesn't like the character that much.

I mentioned on my userpage on the wiki that Super Mario Galaxy 2 is better than Super Mario Galaxy so the order they are in is wrong.

As for New Super Mario series, my order from best to worst for that is New Super Mario Bros. 2 is up high (just like I said on my userpage), New Super Mario Bros. Wii, New Super Mario Bros., and New Super Mario Bros. U/New Super Luigi U. If you want order, put 2 the one above Wii

I will agree on Super Mario Land being worst than Super Mario Land 2, but to me its still a good game. It beats New Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario 3D World is actually better than Super Mario 3D Land. Mainly due to it having more things to do and some other stuff. I haven't played the former, but have played the latter, so this is basically from what I know of 3D World. 3D Land is just a little better than New Super Mario Bros. 2, but 3D World will be next in line.

Super Mario Sunshine seems low on the list for me. I would put it somewhere after 3D Land, but its hard to say after 3D World, though. I haven't played it, but want to.

Lastly, I like Super Mario Bros. 3 better than Super Mario 64 DS (slightly better than the original), but Super Mario World is near the others I haven't played due to I haven't played it. Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros.: the Lost Levels should be closer to each other with Lost Levels beating the original. I will not go as far beyond Super Mario Land 2, though. Super Mario Bros. 2 is between the original and Lost Levels.

Re: Top 15 Mario Music - Shroom section discussion thread

A new countdown was released, and it is the Top 15 Mario Music! I don't have much in the way of bonus content this month, but I do have a few things. First, some honorable mentions that could not be added to the list due to time constraints. In no particular order:
Honorable Mentions
Staff Roll - Super Mario 64
World 8 (Bowser) - Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart Stadium - Mario Kart 8
GCN Yoshi Circuit - Mario Kart 8
3DS Neo Bowser City - Mario Kart 8

Another Bonus is this: a playlist of Nintendo music that I like! Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgTozRVbVHaPDIaslZvnTB6S8XN5U2QyQ. The playlist has every song on the countdown, many Mario songs that didn't make the cut, and music from several other Nintendo series. Listen to it and judge how close your musical taste is to mine. Or, if you don't want to do that, you still have a nice list of Nintendo music to listen to!

One more thing. Being the bumbling idiot that I am, I accidentally left #6 on the countdown off the section when I sent it in (and an image of Luigi dancing). Our glorious Hypno-director failed to notice this, not that I blame him for that. In any case, the mistakes have been fixed. So, if you have already read the section, you might want to read #6 on the list. I'll be more careful not to make this mistake in the future. Anyway, enjoy the section and the bonus content!

Dude, the Credit Music form Mario 64 is like the best video game music I've ever heard, not just an "Honorable Mention."

There's my opinion for you.

Yeah, I thought someone might say that. It is in my top 20, though, so that's hopefully some consolation. It would have been on the list if I had not run out of time to do 20.

Not a single entry from Mario & Sonic and Mario Sports Mix. Eh.

This thread is going to be moved to Fan Creations with the rest of the Shroom disscussion threads. I feel like such a hipster, 'cause I did it before it was cool. 8)

Baby Luigi said:
Not a single entry from Mario & Sonic and Mario Sports Mix. Eh.
I've only played the first M&S and that was ages ago. I've never played Mario Sports Mix.

I would have recommended Smash Custom Music as a place to listen to video game soundtracks if it wasn't down right now. I'd recommend Toad Park, Smash Skate, Feed Petey, Daisy Garden, and Rainbow Ship from Mario Sports Mix if you come across music on YouTube.

J-Fred said:
Dude, the Credit Music form Mario 64 is like the best video game music I've ever heard, not just an "Honorable Mention."

So much nostalgia for me on the SM64 Credits. It's my favorite song, like, ever!

Baby Luigi said:
Rainbow Ship from Mario Sports Mix

This one's one of my favorites, too. KHInsider has the soundtrack up. Here's the theme for the Star Ship.

https://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks/album/mario-sports-mix/1-18-star-ship.mp3

As for the countdown itself, I have a terrible time ranking music, as there's just so much good music in the Mario series. MK64's Rainbow Road would be closer to the top, however, and Purple Comet would be above Buoy Base, though I'm not sure where I'd place Buoy Base itself.

Luigi 64DD said:
Our glorious Hypno-director failed to notice this, not that I blame him for that.

one of the few downsides to having 40000 sections submitted to Critic Corner :-[

Alex95 said:
J-Fred said:

So much nostalgia for me on the SM64 Credits. It's my favorite song, like, ever!

[...]

As for the countdown itself, I have a terrible time ranking music, as there's just so much good music in the Mario series. MK64's Rainbow Road would be closer to the top, however, and Purple Comet would be above Buoy Base, though I'm not sure where I'd place Buoy Base itself.
Well, part of the problem with SM64 Credits and MK64 Rainbow Road is that I've listened to them so much that they had stopped seeming quite as good when I made this list. I will say it was very close between Purple Comet and Bouy Base, but Bouy Base ended up coming out on top.

Anton said:
one of the few downsides to having 40000 sections submitted to Critic Corner :-[
Like I said, it's not really your fault. I think what caused it is that when I was copying the section from the document it was saved on to the message, I only copied #15 - 7 at first (even though I thought I had highlighted the entire thing). When I went to copy the rest, I accidentally highlighted only #5 - 1, leaving out #6. I thought I remembered making sure I got it all, but I apparently did not. It's all good now though. :D

Want to know my favorite music?

In the Final (aka The Grand Finale) - Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

Want to listen to it? Let me give you this: The 'Shroom:Issue 117/Ultimate Music Battle.

My comments: It is very ideal for what it was meant to be for the game.

Edit: By the way, I like the reference to the Borgs in the Shroom Section.

I like that music too. One thing I must say is that this list is not at all comprehensive. When I made that YouTube playlist, I thought of the music that I like to listen to from most of the Mario games I've played. Then I sorted those out into the best later when I made this section. Therefore, only the Mario music in that playlist were considered for the list (except for Dire, Dire Docks and Ultimate Koopa from SM64, neither of which made the list anyway).

The Borg reference was unintentional, I thought that was just a normal expression. I didn't know that's where it's from. :lol:

"Resistance is futile" may be a pretty common saying in terms of media maybe, but I believe it did originate from the Borg. Since it's pretty straight to the point, it's used quite a bit.

New 'Shroom issue is out, and I say for the Countdowns that Wiggler has a lower number (meaning closer to worst Mario Kart Character) than what the issue says, mostly because Wiggler appears whenever you play as Yoshi.

Arrgh! I forgot about this! Well, anyway, a new issue of countdowns is has been released! It's the Top 10 Worst Mario Kart Characters! Co-starring Wario! Now for the first bonus content (and I promise Wario's not here anymore):
Dishonorable Mentions in no particular order
Paratroopa (An unoriginal character, but they needed him to be Koopa's partner in Double Dash, although if they do that again, maybe they should use Dry Bones instead.)
Dry Bowser (Kinda unoriginal, but he was a major part of NSMB, so he was relevant. Besides, he's much more interesting than all the other clones.)
R.O.B (Kinda weird, but that sort of thing is good once in a while.)
Donkey Kong Jr. (Not a great character but you can't blame since they literally had no one else to go with back then.)

And the second bonus content:
Top 10 Best Mario Kart Characters as in who deserves to be in Mario Kart the most
10. Daisy/Waluigi/Rosalina (I admit, I cheated on this one, but would you wanna be mauled by rabid fans?)
9. Koopa (The most famous enemy, he deserves to be here, unlike his Spiny-throwing relative.)
8. Donkey Kong (If he wasn't here, it'd be on like Donkey Kong.)
7. Wario (The Anti-Mario deserves it, also he'll beat me up if I don't put him here.)
6. Toad (The NPC thanks you, but says the princess is higher on the list.)
5. Bowser (The main villain! He's ee-vee-il!)
4. Yoshi (Why is he above Bowser? Ask Mario Party Advance. Or that Rabbids crossover that everyone's making a fuss about.)
3. Princess Peach ("HELP!" cried the eternal damsel-in-distress.)
2. Luigi (1 player game or 2 player game?)
1. Mario (Whattya think this is? Crash Tag Team Racing?)

That's all the bonus content. I hope you enjoyed the countdown and the bonus content, and don't forget to share your thoughts!

Back