Image Help Thread

Alex95

The True Power Master
Banned User
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Alex95
Trying to find a good spot to put an image, but instead of going to one person for help or showing the image in a random, scrambled thread like the General Discussion, I thought "Why not make a thread about this type of thing?" This way, users can show their images that they found and ask for help as to where it should go on the wiki, whether it's authentic or not, what categories need to be included, etc.

I'll go first.
Found this gif on the My Nintendo Reward for the new Yoshi theme for the 3DS. I could upload it and put it in Gallery:Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World, but so many images are found solely in galleries and die get lost, so what would be a good place to put the image? Would Yoshi Theater (Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World) be a good place, considering the shorts is where this gif came from?

I could also maybe upload the theme itself. Do we do that? I have a few other Mario-related themes I could snap a pic of and include.

Image:
9481bfa23a553dc0

I can't really think of a specific use of this gif OTHER than in gallery articles. If placed on the main article, it artificially jacks up loading time, and the gif is very distracting to readers. It doesn't even really illustrate anything either, so there's basically no practical use for it. Galleries do serve an important function, many users myself included enjoy browsing through galleries and just looking at images.

For some reason, loading times and distractions did not come to mind (I'm kinda half-asleep today). Alright, I'll just put this in the general gallery then :P

EDIT: For the Nintendo 3DS#List of Mario-related themes, do the Smash Brothers themes count as "related"?

OK I can do that, but would it be ideal to put in the Bowser's Inside Story gallery, or perhaps the page for the Mario & Luigi series since it appears on most of the logos (and all of them in the Japanese versions)?

ok actually I did run into an issue. I can't crop the SVG to the correct size, or at least I have no idea how to. Inkscape puts it inside this huge document sized rectangle and I have no idea how to shrink that.

WUFDVX1.png

Wipes away the dust

Bit conflicted regarding an image I uploaded.

Endless_Stairs.png

Wildgoosespeeder told me the specifications for images, which I agree with. The quality of the image should be clear, which can be done through emulation.
But at the same time, I disagree. The blurriness factor is visible in just about every N64 game, which I feel adds to its authenticity. Like I said, I agree with his specifications, but emulation clears the image to look unlike how it does in actual games. I'm not against using emulation, but it seems to tamper with the images, which also goes against policy.
Unless I just have a terrible capture card, which I probably do.

If emulation can produce better quality images, I don't think we need to be 100% faithful to the game down to replicating flaws that can easily blur out the point of images: to illustrate something.

Baby Luigi said:
If emulation can produce better quality images, I don't think we need to be 100% faithful to the game down to replicating flaws that can easily blur out the point of images: to illustrate something.
Agreed. There's a reason we crop out sprites and add transparent backgrounds to them.

OK so this image (File:Malghostcackletta.png) has been bugging me for a long time.

Malghostcackletta.png

It appears to be Mario's turn in battle, as he has selected an attack and is selecting the target. But then again, Fawful is kinda hanging out there. I'm pretty sure he never stays on the field after you counter his attack, and the attack is endless until you counter it, so how would he be there? If it's possible for him to stay I'd love to know, otherwise this image bugs me because it's probably hacked or fanmade.

I can't find anything on the wiki about what happens after the attack, but you have to hammer the Fawful apperation to get it to stop. Pretty sure it's fan made, but I could be wrong as I haven't made it to that spot personally in a while.

I noticed File:Mariofaint.png has some white along the bottom of the otherwise transparent image. Normally this would be considered bad transparency but this seems to be the official transparency. I found the image on the official TTYD JP website and though small, you can see the white in the same places. What would be done here, manually remove the white or leave it since it's technically an error on the part of whoever rendered the artwork officially?

sEjQ7yq.png

I think we can allow official transparency errors to be corrected when they're non-invasive. It should be easy to highlight those white areas and remove them.

Back