Next Mario & Sonic Olympic for Nintendo Switch

Will be Next Mario & Sonic Olympic?

I got newcomer mario characters such as:
*Baby Mario
*Baby Peach
*Toadette
*Dixie Kong

But, Wendy had a Pink shoes are skating in the future Winter Olympic

Putting Baby Peach over Baby Luigi is a disgusting move and always had been. Baby Luigi should always take priority over her.

From what I saw, Rio 2016 didn't do all that great, so the possibility of another Mario and Sonic game is a bit on the low side after that.

But on the flip side, Mario is set to be the mascot for when the Olympics visit Japan, so that would kind of be a wasted opportunity.

None of the Olympic games do ''great'' , they are made out of tradition not because they are system sellers or anything like that.

Same with Mario Party , specially now that the series is dead.

MarioRedux56 said:

...? Anyway...

I'm not really hoping for another M&S Olympic Games game. I got bored with the first one and the series has grown rather stale. Like Swifty said, they're more of a tradition than anything. I'd rather a true Mario & Sonic adventure.

Regardless, put in Mona. She seems like she'd be a good fit.

MarioRedux56 said:
Will be Next Mario & Sonic Olympic?

These two "sentences" are even funnier than "help[ing] the Cubs baby collect stars it."

But uh, yeah, basically like Alex said, I only have one M&S game and it got boring pretty fast.

Would be nice if they finally made one worth a crap.

You know, if they focused solely on the amazing Dream Events, then the games might actually be really worth it. They're easily the best part of the Olympic games.

That would require them not rushing these out once a year

Yeah, true. Except I think the graphics are usually very pretty eye-candy too, so I think they function better as HD character fanservice than they do as a video game.

Also, Rhythmic Ribbon and Rhythmic Gymnastics need a focus as well. They're also easily the best non-Dream Event events.

I just look forward to the soundtracks because Sega makes great remixes.

In the artistic department, I think the Olympic games are great there.

Again, I think they're better off as fanservice than actual games. It's nice to oogle at screenshots, take a look at their models, and listen to their music, but not actually play the game.

One thing I did like about Sochi was the special animations between some characters like Sonic and Amy, Mario and Peach and Dr. Eggman and Bowser.

Not really sure what to expect from the next Winter Olympics one. But I am interested to see if they ramp things up for the 2020 one (The next Summer one) since that will be set in Japan. Regardless how we feel we may get tired of these games. That one might be actually one to look forward to since Sega and Nintendo will probably want to do alot for their home country.

I do get they've kinda lost their novelty and I would like an actual Mario and Sonic crossover that isn't just Olympic Sports. But it's not like these are the worst sports games out there. If you want a game based on the Olympics there's one or two games that wouldn't be too wrong to get. (Though the series peak is still mainly the Vancouver 2010 and London 2012 games)

I am very curious for the next installment though.

For one it's gonna be Winter Olympics , which is amazing , i love those more than the normal ones , mostly talking about the Vancouver one , that game was so amazing. I spent tons of hours in both versions before the series started to suck.

And also the location is South Korea , so i want to see what kind of flavour they will add because it's totally Asian themed.

Pauline appearance, even just as a supporting NPC. Maybe Morton, Lemmy, and Iggy, if the other four Koopalings are kept.

And, of course, not limiting characters to certain events.

I've only ever played 2010 Winter Olympics & London 2012 Olympics, but from what I've seen of Rio 2016 Olympics, I've figured out some stuff that I think should be changed:
  • Return of the Dream Events
  • Characters not exclusive to specific consoles & events (take notes 3DS)
  • Remove the Deadly Six
  • Remove Sonic Riders Characters
  • Remove the Koopalings
I'd also like to see something similar to the Winter Village from the 2010 Winter Olympics reappear, with shops that you can buy special items with points that you earn depending on how well you do in events. As long as the scratch cards from the London 2012 Olympics don't come back, the game will be fine without this.

The Koopa Bro. said:
I've only ever played 2010 Winter Olympics & London 2012 Olympics, but from what I've seen of Rio 2016 Olympics, I've figured out some stuff that I think should be changed:
  • Return of the Dream Events
  • Characters not exclusive to specific consoles & events (take notes 3DS)
  • Remove the Deadly Six
  • Remove Sonic Riders Characters
  • Remove the Koopalings
I'd also like to see something similar to the Winter Village from the 2010 Winter Olympics reappear, with shops that you can buy special items with points that you earn depending on how well you do in events. As long as the scratch cards from the London 2012 Olympics don't come back, the game will be fine without this.
Honestly, Rio kept all the core roster and on 3DS even managed to add Birdo and Dry Bones before Mario Kart 8, why would you want to remove new characters that didn't do anything bad to the core roster?

Mister Wu said:
Honestly, Rio kept all the core roster and on 3DS even managed to add Birdo and Dry Bones before Mario Kart, why would you want to remove new characters that didn't do anything bad to the core roster?
For some reason, I just have something against the Koopalings. There's nothing specifically wrong with them, It's just that I disliked them, especially when Bowser Jr., in my opinion, is a more likeable character.
Same thing applies to the Deadly Six & Sonic Riders character. Unlike the Koopalings, I don't consider either of these groups of character as main Sonic character (1. Possibly not the correct word 2. I'm giving Sticks a chance as she appeared in the most recent main series Sonic game (if Sonic Boom is a main series game))

I think in addition to Mario and Sonic, two additional teams comprised of characters from other Nintendo and Sega games should be added.

The Koopa Bro. said:
Mister Wu said:
Honestly, Rio kept all the core roster and on 3DS even managed to add Birdo and Dry Bones before Mario Kart, why would you want to remove new characters that didn't do anything bad to the core roster?
For some reason, I just have something against the Koopalings. There's nothing specifically wrong with them, It's just that I disliked them, especially when Bowser Jr., in my opinion, is a more likeable character.
Same thing applies to the Deadly Six & Sonic Riders character. Unlike the Koopalings, I don't consider either of these groups of character as main Sonic character (1. Possibly not the correct word 2. I'm giving Sticks a chance as she appeared in the most recent main series Sonic game (if Sonic Boom is a main series game))

For the record not any of the Sonic Boom games are main series games. The Deadly Six technically has more of an argument since they're actually in a game considered part of the main series while Sonic Boom is a spin-off in it's entirety in a different universe and styling. (Neither Sonic Boom game nor the show itself are headed by the main Sonic Team in Japan)

The Koopa Bro. said:
Mister Wu said:
It's perfectly fine to dislike the Koopalings and prefer Bowser Jr. over them, I still think that Mario & Sonic implemented them in one of the best ways: first of all, each of them has its own animations and model with correct body proprortions, unlike in SSB4; secondly, as I stated before, to add them they didn't have to remove characters from the main roster, in fact, the characters of the main roster still get a preferential treatment.
As an example, let's think about Bowser Jr.:
  • in the 3DS version, he is playable in two events instead of the single event each of the Koopalings is playable in
  • in the Wii U version, he's playable in all events, while each of the Koopalings is playable in only one event
  • in the arcade version, he's playable in all events as well, while the Koopalings aren't featured at all
the idea of not introducing all of the Koopalings probably allowed this "respect" of the core roster, generating a different situation from that of Mario Kart 8 where the toll on the roster was pretty much acknowledged by the director. Even though I like Lemmy and Morton, I prefer this situation if anything because it clarifies that the Koopalings are seven individual characters - something SEGA seems to have clearly in mind when dealing about teams, as it treated the Team Chaotix, the Babylon Rogues and the Deadly Six in the same way, as teams made of individual characters.

Speaking of the Babylon Rogues, surprisingly the Sonic Riders series was developed directly by Sonic Team, making them "core" Sonic characters from a devlopers' point of view, even more than Sticks who comes from a Western reinterpretation of the Sonic Universe, Sonic Boom, in which Sonic Team was barely involved. As Northern Verve noticed, the Deadly Six are even more "core" characters, as Sonic Lost World is effectively the last main Sonic platform game directly developed by Sonic Team. We can argue that they are more or less blatantly based on the Koopalings, but we could say the same of those bunnies in Super Mario Odyssey so...

I would also like to point out something important: since the failure and closure of Sonic Runners, Mario & Sonic has become the main (and only!) spin-off series of the Sonic universe. Unless SEGA loses the licensing from the IOC due to consistently bad results, I see them continuing it because it's the main chance for them to show the various characters of the Sonic universe in a different context - I now understand why trivia and dialogues were added in the Wii U version of Rio in this sense; it was funny seeing that some of these dialogues and trivia also resulted useful for our Wiki, such as the Waluigi and Wario case, the current status of the Koopalings and even the return of Italy as possible country of origin of Mario (something that was stated in Japan in the '90s!)!

To be honest, the Mario and Sonic games started to go downhill after the 2012 London Olympic games. They haven't sold that well.

Pwwnd123 said:
To be honest, the Mario and Sonic games started to go downhill after the 2012 London Olympic games. They haven't sold that well.

While it's certainly true to look that the series hasn't really reached past the peak of London. I do agree neither Sochi 2014's or Rio 2016's were as good as Vancouver 2010's or London 2012's.

But in terms of sales that could be because they were released on Wii U which the console itself didn't sell well. The first 3 games in the series were on the Wii, one of the best selling consoles in history. So even if they weren't that good (The first game is probably the worst in the series, more reliant on motion control then any of the other games in the series.), it sold well purely for the novelty of it being the first game Mario and Sonic were featured together (When the game was announced we didn't even know if Sonic was going to be in Brawl yet so it is indeed the very first official game where we knew Mario and Sonic were together in the same game. Heck I think we may have just passed not too long ago the 10 year anniversery of the announcement of the first game. I remember people thought it was an early April Fools joke played by Nintendo and Sega way back when).

Surely some of the novelty has dropped since then, but if the Switch is a success I could easily see the Mario & Sonic games still getting some good sales. Both Mario and Sonic are still cash cows.

Back