SpongeBob creator Stephen Hillenburg dead at 57

Magikrazy

Donkey Kong
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/spongebob-squarepants-creator-stephen-hillenburg-reveals-als-diagnosis-1202007865/

Stephen Hillenburg revealed that he has recently been diagnosed with ALS, a rare terminal illness that affects the central nervous system. He is apparently in the early stages of the illness, but will continue to work on SpongeBob for the time being.

It's heartbreaking to hear about this, but I wish Stephen the best while he deals with this.

Edit: https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/spongebob-squarepants-creator-dead-dies-stephen-hillenburg-1203037362/

Re: SpongeBob creator Stephen Hillenburg diagnosed with ALS

This disease is horrible, and it's disheartening to see such a great creator who created one of my childhood cartoons suffer from a neurodegenerative disease that slowly kills. I hope the best for him, and us spongebob fans will always respect him.

Re: SpongeBob creator Stephen Hillenburg diagnosed with ALS

Oh man, now that's a name I've known for a long time. He created one of my first obsessions and inspirations, and it's sad to hear that he has to suffer like this. I wish him the best.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/spongebob-squarepants-creator-dead-dies-stephen-hillenburg-1203037362/
Damn, this is pretty disheartening. SpongeBob was one of my favorite cartoons as a kid, and I had a lot of respect for Stephen Hillenburg. It's sad to see him go like this, thoughts and prayers to his family.

Stephen Hillenburg has passed away

Just as Stan Lee succumbed earlier this month to his old age, Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of Spongebob Squarepants, arguably the most successful cartoon in history, let alone recent history, has died to his ALS.

I hope people will leave him in peace and not try to dig up nonexistent dirt on him for attention, but let's face it, too many people are awful for that to not happen.

It's just so surprising, that a mere two weeks after one creator of beloved childhood icons passes, another does so as well.....

Re: Stephen Hillenburg has passed away

Doc von Schmeltwick said:
Just as Stan Lee succumbed earlier this month to his old age, Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of Spongebob Squarepants, arguably the most successful cartoon in history, let alone recent history, has died to his ALS.

I hope people will leave him in peace and not try to dig up nonexistent dirt on him for attention, but let's face it, too many people are awful for that to not happen.

It's just so surprising, that a mere two weeks after one creator of beloved childhood icons passes, another does so as well.....
i wouldnt consider it surprising considering one of them had als and the other was in their 90's but regardless
this is still a tragedy and i truely hope he rests in peace

I hope Stephen rests in peace, he was the creator of an enormously successful cartoon that has been in the childhood memories of millions of people all over the world.

Aw man, I really loved Spongebob, easily my second favorite cartoon of all time. The best thing is, since it's a television show, I can watch my favorite episodes over and over again and still get a laugh out of them today.

Rest in peace, Stephen Hillenburg.

DtBzpz3U0AAj8H6.jpg:large

Like Stan Lee, I was shocked about his death, I didn't believe his death at first. May he rest in peace. I loved SpongeBob SquarePants, I wonder who will direct the show due to his sudden death.

I remember being devastated when I heard about his ALS diagnosis, and now it's hard to believe that he's gone. Few shows were as consistently funny and witty as Spongebob was when he was in control. I grew up with this show and it still makes me laugh to this day. Rest in peace.

Man... Spongebob was one of my favorite shows growing up, and even now, I still watch and enjoy it. Hillenburg's talent created my childhood and that of many other people. I didn't know how hard his death would hit me (I knew about his diagnosis with ALS) until it did. May he rest in peace.

I am writing this comment with tears in my eyes. I just found out an hour ago from the Google News feed. I still watch the show regularly to this day as a senior in high school.

Prayers and condolences go out to his friends and loved ones. Much like what has occurred with Stan Lee not too long ago, it's very saddening to lose another talented creator that has given the world so much joy. I absolutely loved SpongeBob growing up, the uniqueness of the show was lightning in a bottle and there will never be anything else quite like it.

Rest in Peace.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about this. Spongebob was a really good cartoon. And hearing about this makes me sad :(. R.I.P.

Even as a guy who didn't grow up watching too much SpongeBob, I still got some laughs out of what I did see, and hearong of his death is like having a boulder hit me on the forehead. I respect the man, but sadly, all the great people in this world have a time to go.

R.I.P, you made cartoon history.

This is heartbreaking to hear. SpongeBob was (and still is) my favorite animated TV show thanks to Hillenburg's lovable characters and settings. It almost doesn't feel real that he's gone, and 57 is so young to go. RIP :'(

Back