Paper Mario for Switch?

Paper Mario

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
Well the Wii U eventually pulled through and had a Paper Mario release even if it wasn't exactly the return to form most wanted. But still, the trend of a Paper Mario for every console since the 64 continues. So that means the Switch will likely have a Paper Mario installment as well. This was further implied by Kensuke Tanabe in the Game Informer interview where he mentioned a desire to make a Paper Mario game with a new system.

Regardless of what we officially know now, I'm 99% sure this series will see an installment on Switch. I'm also (unfortunately) 90% sure it will keep the same bullshit character restrictions placed on the last 2 games, thanks to Tanabe's comments in the above-linked interview.

I don't have high expectations for the Switch Paper Mario, though I am hopeful that one day either Tanabe will realize that obliviously following Miyamoto's instructions is hurting the series (and it's not disrespectful to politely say "no"), or a new producer will come in who is passionate about the older games and understands the fanbase.

Anyways. What are your ideas for a Switch Paper Mario? What new ideas do you think would take the series in a turn for the better?

If we get a game as good as color splash sign me up.

I wouldn't be surprised if they ported color splash to the switch with some tweaks.

Still I am curious where they go from here, I rather enjoyed Colour splash so I'm looking forward to whatever they decide to do next.

Air Conditioner said:
I don't have high expectations for the Switch Paper Mario, though I am hopeful that one day either Tanabe will realize that obliviously following Miyamoto's instructions is hurting the series (and it's not disrespectful to politely say "no"), or a new producer will come in who is passionate about the older games and understands the fanbase.

Cq4YJZGXEAAY_p4.jpg

(For context, RK = Ryota Kawade, director of the first three games)

Mcmadness said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they ported color splash to the switch with some tweaks.
I wouldn't mind this actually. Since the Switch doesn't use two screens at once, they would have to put everything on one screen making recording or streaming playthroughs so much more convenient. No more lack of battle cards in videos.

After how badly the newer Paper Mario games split the fanbase, I'm frankly personally done with Paper Mario for a lifetime.

Baby Luigi said:
After how badly the newer Paper Mario games split the fanbase, I'm frankly personally done with Paper Mario for a lifetime.

I blame the Canadians

If they're continuing in the Sticker Star/Color Splash style, here is some changes that I would like to see:

~Make Mario's regular Jump and Hammer attacks individual commands instead of stickers/cards so incidents like this won't occur.
~Please don't bring back the mechanic where Kamek randomly appears and screws with your cards.
~Take notes from Huey and make the next exposition fairy equally as likable, give them a role to play in battles similar to how partners functioned in PM/TTYD and how Huey functioned during the Black Bowser battle. (Or really, just partners in general would be nice.)
~Bring back unique NPC/Enemy designs, the Rock Paper Wizards and Shy Bandits were a small step in the right direction.
~Stop giving bosses insta-kill attacks that can only be countered by a certain "thing".
~A warning before springing a insta-kill overworld obstacle would be nice.

Well we can have Bowser as a bad guy. The first paper mario did it and it was great nontheless.

Koops the koopa troopa said:
Well we can have Bowser as a bad guy. The first paper mario did it and it was great nontheless.

not to mention that paper mario was a really great way to retell the old smb plot.

Bowser was pretty good in color splash
even if he was brainwashed

cpm said:
have a different bad guy other than bowser.

Only if they keep Bowser out of the game.

Plus if you want to get technical he wasn't really the villain of CS.

How about the ability to play as other Mario characters? Why is it that my least favorite Paper Mario game was the only one to get this right (aside from the first two games' various intermissions, but that's not what I'm talking about)?

I have always said I would have preferred Luigi over any paper mario partner any day.

Damn right they should make a version of the waffle kingdom arc in TTYD.

Mcmadness said:
I have always said I would have preferred Luigi over any paper mario partner any day.

same here.

though I still like the Paper Mario partners regardless. There's something fun about playing as a member of species of enemy.

Baby Luigi said:
though I still like the Paper Mario partners regardless. There's something fun about playing as a member of species of enemy.

The only downside is it created about a million Do not steal fan characters on deviantart to go along with the other millions that already existed.

Eh, that's an inevitability of any fandom. So why not?

Back