• feet

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • claws

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Lord Bowser

listen
Banned User
so i had a discussion about bowser's feet in chat.

...long story don't ask

anyway, the main question was this; would bowser's feet be better known as just feet or paws?

the definition of paws is as follows;
[quote author=our google overlords]
an animal's foot having claws and pads.
synonyms: foot, forepaw, hind paw
"dogs protect their paws from frostbite by pulling them up against their stomachs"
[/quote]

as you can see in this (amazing) picture, bowser's feet do indeed have claws and pads.
Bowser_Artwork_-_Dance_Dance_Revolution_Mario_Mix.png

a more recent example is also this;
Nintendo_Switch_-_Bowser_and_Bowser_Jr.jpg

however, bowser's pads don't exactly look or act like traditional animal pads.

the pads at the bottom of an animal's paw are there to provide stability and to increase friction so the animal doesn't just suddenly fall. however, paw pads are usually raised from the base of the paw; bowser's pads aren't. instead, they're pretty much flush with the rest of his foot.

so, are bowser's feet able to pass as paws or not?

[00:43] <dia> Lord_Bowser
[00:43] <dia> i think i would call them paws
[00:43] <dia> because of like
[00:43] <dia> the shortness and other features
[00:43] <dia> claws etc
[00:43] <dia> but you could also call them feet because
[00:43] <dia> he walks on two legs
[00:43] <dia> instead of like 4
[00:44] <dia> he has hands, and he has feet
[00:44] <dia> his feet just happen to also be paws

racoons have feet that are similar enough to humans (being mammals) and they have cushions on the bottom of their feet that are basically pads but do not necessitate its feet being paws

humans also technically have "pads" too on the ball and heel, also aren't paws

maybe we need to backtrack and figure out how to classify bowser first

these looks pretty bowsery to me

12-5dc1693santacruztortoisefeet5x7100rcpywrt.jpg

i believe nintendo has stated that bowser was like a cross between an ox and a turtle, but now he seems more like an oversized koopa, which is clearly derived from a turtle or tortoise.

EDIT: i also think it would be worthwhile to discuss meowser. meowser, as you can see, has pretty clear paws;
Meowser_Cat_Bowser.png

could this be perhaps evidence that bowser's feet are truly paws, or is this simply part of the transformation?

man sometimes i wonder what thrilling discussions i'm missing out on in #mwchat

I would classify them as feet.

In addition, I would classify the question being posed here as odd.

The only feet I know of when it comes to Bowser is defeat.

But you basically answered your own question. You clearly say "feet" in the question without even mentioning the possibility of paws.

Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that they are indeed feet.

My real guess is that they're actually closer to paws than feet though.

Bob Eubanks said:
But you basically answered your own question. You clearly say "feet" in the question without even mentioning the possibility of paws.

Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that they are indeed feet.

My real guess is that they're actually closer to paws than feet though.
All paws are feet, not all feet are paws.

I just classify them as "yellow feet". Though looking at them more closely now (I don't usually look at feet and have never looked at feet this intensely before), I'd say they look more like paws.

Bowser's supposed to be some sort of reptile, right? Are there any lizards out there with these types of feet?

Lord Bowser said:
poll added
cast your votes

you should submit this to the poll committee srly :dk:

something we should address is: why is bowser barefoot?

when you think about it, he, jr, and the koopalings (and wart but no one cares about wart) are the only ones in the mario universe without shoes

his fellow koopas, goombas, shy guys, even bloody yoshis have the decency to put on footwear

this must be a pain for him, walking barefoot in his stone, probably very hot castle

Cloud Strife said:
this must be a pain for him, walking barefoot in his stone, probably very hot castle

nah, his species evolved to walk on hot stuff

it's why his family is known for performing the stunt of walking on hot coal very easily

Cloud Strife said:
something we should address is: why is bowser barefoot?

when you think about it, he, jr, and the koopalings (and wart but no one cares about wart) are the only ones in the mario universe without shoes

his fellow koopas, goombas, shy guys, even bloody yoshis have the decency to put on footwear

...wow that's actually a good observation

humans need shoes to provide protection, while animals (as they typically have paws) don't need them...

maybe bowser's feet /are/ paws then... :eek:

Salazzle said:
Alex95 said:
I just classify them as "yellow feet".
new meta of classifying

Did someone say meta?

Let's try taking a look at it from a different perspective, lets take a look at the skeletal structure of Bowser's feet. To help us is Dry Bowser.

latest

As you can see Bowser has a bone structure that resembles that of a human with a calcaneus, tarsals, metatarsals, and phalanges.

170px-Blausen_0411_FootAnatomy.png

In contrast, let's take a look at a skeletal structure of the animal Bowser is based on (turtle).

lzdyfzG.jpg

As you can see, while they share some of the same body parts, the feet on the turtle are kind of backwards, and don't really resemble Bowser's foot whatsoever.

Next, let's take a look at a paw to determine if Bowser's feet resembles it at all

59a70aae1dc3f177985e761d7209d4e1.jpg

As you can see, this paw is of a dog, so it may not have much resemblense to Bowser, but generally this is the first thing someone thinks of when they think of a paw in order to compare it to other things such as determining whether or not Bowser's foot is a paw. It's also hard to judge as Bowser is a bipedal creature, while dogs are quadrapeds. However, you can see a tremendous arch with each individual digit with what resemble toes. It's clear from Dry Bowser that Bowser's feet look nothing like this structurally.

From this, my conclusion is that Bowser's feet are just simply feet, and not paws.

Afaik it's because DragonFreak kept referring to them as paws so we had to come here to Marioverse to put it to the test with the proper authorities

Back