The 'main series' (platformers)

Jarvio

Goomba
What is the official list of the 'main series' of Mario platformers? Is there an official list?

Obviously definites would be: Super Mario Bros 1, 2 (Japan), 2 (US), 3, World, 64, Sunshine, Land, Land 2, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, NSMB, NSMB Wii, NSMB U, NSMB 2, 3D Land, 3D World, Odyssey.

But what about the following, that sometimes make the list too?

Mario Run? - I've never played it so can't say, but it's a mobile game, so...

Mario Maker? - Personally I think not, because it's more like a 'tool' (like Mario Paint), and there is no main objective to 'beat' the game.

Yoshi's Island? - This makes a lot of lists and I have no idea why. You control Yoshi, not Mario. I know it has Super Mario World in the title, but still... and yet, nobody ever includes Yoshi's Island DS or Yoshi's New Island. This makes no sense. If Yoshi's Island counts (which it shouldn't), then why not Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi's New Island too?

I think those 3 are the only exceptions, other than Mario Land 3: Wario Land, which doesn't always make the list anyway.

According to Super Mario Wiki, those 3 games, along with Super Mario Bros. Special, New Super Luigi U, and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker are considered to be related to the Super Mario series, while not officially being considered parts of it. It also notes that Shigeru Miyamoto considers Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island part of the core series.

Mario Maker is included in the list of "main" games in Encyclopedia super Mario Bros. nevermind I have aids

Miyamoto said he and the series core development team consider Yoshi's Island to be a "core Mario game" in this interview.

SM: When we first made Yoshi's Island, we considered it part of the Mario series. After that, the Yoshi series continued on its own. As developers, do we consider it to be part of the core Mario series? The answer is yes.

There's been no statement on Super Mario Run.

Makes sense. It is an origin story of shorts.

who says they aren't?

Glowsquid said:
Mario Maker is included in the list of "main" games in Encyclopedia super Mario Bros.
Actualy, on page 255, the Encyclopedia gives Super Mario Maker a rating of 3/4, meaning it's not part of the "Super Mario Bros. series" (which is the Encyclopedia's name for the Super Mario series). The games considered part of the Super Mario Bros. series are those described in detail in the Encyclopedia (pretty much the ones in the wiki page plus the first two super Mario Land games).

Back