Anyone else find Dark Humored shows hypocritical at times?

For example, issues such as murder, alcoholism, and corruption will be poked fun at while drug abuse, rape, racism are put in a serious light. It's as if their saying, "Hey this one issue you think is serious is pretty funny" while they pussy out and say to another topic "This is a really bad thing". This may just be a "me" problem but whenever this happens it just kills the show for me.

As for rape and murder disparity, I think Jim Sterling made some good points on why talking about killing is fine, but rape is taboo.

pfft dark humor is nothing more then people making light of others peoples misfortunes like making suicide jokes or autistic memes or using the word retarded so lightly, its pretty disgusting to me and rape jokes are just ugh to me as well as ive actually talked to rape victims in depression groups and that shit is not to be taking lightly or made fun of.

But hey its not their problem so why not laugh at it?

i wouldnt be surprised if there were shows about this shit at all, and ive heard people make light of shock therapy before.

I like to keep an optimistic attitude about life but sometimes its hard to do that when people laugh at shit that breaks people left and right.

There are different degrees of what you call dark humor, which isn't something I'd categorize lack of decency like autistic memes (though suicide jokes might be a common component of black humor, but it kinda depends on the context, really), though it often involves lack of political correctness.

idk about you but I find the bunny suicide cartoons to be pretty funny. it's so over-the-top, creative, and cutely juxtaposed that you just smirk at it.

I myself laugh at dark humour at times, even if it is brutally offensive (to which i chuckle and give an "ooooooooo" in a sort of "that was a low blow but it was hilarious" kind of way)

i'll only really laugh if it's a funny joke too, if it's poorly executed or simply wasn't funny, i'll just find it a poor joke and not laugh

i personally don't think there's anything wrong with dark humour, it's pretty much making light of a situation so we can remember it without having to feel bad all the time

yes there are some joke out there which are offensive, and some people will get angry about them, but you'll also find that people in those situations will be able to joke about them too

did you know seth macfarlane was due to be on one of the planes that crashed into the wtc, and by luck missed his flight? he copes with a near miss like that by joking around with it, all the while acknowledging its awful nature. not the best example but it holds some weight

also saturday night live, they mock the trump cabinet with humour, yet that shit is already happening and it's a serious deal, but we can still laugh at it because it's funny

imo it's all about being able to laugh at things in a dark world

i don't really go in for all this politically correct view on humour, the point where it goes too far is when you're specifically targeting a person or a group of people and somewhat egging your audience on to hate them

but then that's not dark humour, that's hate speech

feel free to disagree with me all you like, that's just my stance on it

There's a certain level of comfort people have with these topics. Of they aren't alright with telling jokes related to these topics, they shouldn't have to. And if they are, they shouldn't have to censor themselves.

Really, my full thoughts here mirror Neptune's.

That being said, not sure why a comedian would bring up a subject if he wasn't going to make a joke about it. Any show in particular you're talking about, CaptainXtra?

LeftyGreenMario said:
As for rape and murder disparity, I think Jim Sterling made some good points on why talking about killing is fine, but rape is taboo.

Yeah, I ain't watching that guy. I have my reason for disliking and avoiding his content. But if whatever he says is something you can agree then that's fine. Also, I said murder (killing in cold intentional blood, not every kill is on purpose and therefore is not always a murder) is an issue, not killing in self defense or in defense of others as a last resort. If you or someone else is being attacked, feel free to put the scumbag out, just as long as you weren't the one who started the fight.

Magikrazy said:
There's a certain level of comfort people have with these topics. Of they aren't alright with telling jokes related to these topics, they shouldn't have to. And if they are, they shouldn't have to censor themselves.

Really, my full thoughts here mirror Neptune's.

That being said, not sure why a comedian would bring up a subject if he wasn't going to make a joke about it. Any show in particular you're talking about, CaptainXtra?

Any show (mostly animated) with a sense of dark humor, like Family Guy, Rick and Morty, South Park, Some episodes of Simpsons and Futurama, etc.

I don't really think South Park shys away from telling a joke on any topic. The only thing really coming to mind is the Mohammed incident from the episode "201", but Viacom made the creators censor that episode due to actual terrorist threats. While I don't think it was the right call to cave into terrorist demand like that, I can at least understand why they did it.

CaptainXtra said:
Yeah, I ain't watching that guy. I have my reason for disliking and avoiding his content. But if whatever he says is something you can agree then that's fine.
ok, lol, then don't ask those kinds of questions if you don't like people's viewpoints you asked for.

How many topics do you have to disagree on with someone before you can say "screw them and their thoughts"?

:posh:

In the past 3 years the only things I was ever in agreement with Jim on was #*bleep*onami and those *bleep* brothers that dumped all their garbage games on Steam.

Back