Animated Films in 2017

Magikrazy

Donkey Kong
This thread will be about the animated films coming out this year. What you want you want to see, what you don't want to see, etc. First thing's first, a list of these films.

Bunyan and Babe (Exodus Film Group, February 3)
Loosely based on the folklore of Paul Bunyan (John Goodman), the film is about two children exiled on their grandfather's farm in Minnesota who discover a lair where Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox (Jeff Foxworthy) have resided since their disappearance from the Dead Forest. The story sees Bunyan and Babe teaming with the two kids to stop an evil land developer from destroying a town.
The Lego Batman Movie (Warner Animation Group, February 10)
Batman goes on a personal journey to find himself and learn the importance of teamwork and friendship in the hopes of saving Gotham City from a hostile takeover set by The Joker.
The Boss Baby (DreamWorks Animation, March 31)
A teenager named Tim Templeton (Tobey Maguire) narrates himself at 7 (Miles Bakshi) being jealous of his fast-talking, briefcase-carrying baby brother named the "Baby Boss" (Alec Baldwin). When he goes on a mission to win back affection of his parents (Jimmy Kimmel and Lisa Kudrow), he finds out about a secret plot by Puppy Co.'s CEO Francis E. Francis (Steve Buscemi) which revolves around his baby brother and threatens to destabilize the balance of love in the world. Both brothers must unite to save their parents and restore order to the world and prove that love is indeed an infinite force.
Smurfs: The Lost Village (Sony Pictures Animation, April 7)
Smurfette attempts to find her purpose in the village. When she encounters a creature similar to her in the Forbidden Forest who drops a mysterious map, she sets off with her friends Brainy, Clumsy, and Hefty to find the Lost Village before the evil wizard, Gargamel, does.
Spark (ToonBox Entertainment, April 14)
Spark (Jace Norman) is a teenage monkey, and with his friends Vix (Jessica Biel), a fox and Chunk, a warthog, they embark on a mission to take back the Planet Bana from the evil General Zhong (Alan C. Peterson). Spark's quest leads him all over the universe, and to discover the secret of his true identity.
Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie (DreamWorks Animation, June 2)
A mean principal (Ed Helms), gets hypnotized by two elementary school kids (Kevin Hart and Thomas Middleditch) and transforms into a kind hearted, comic book inspired hero named Captain Underpants.
Cars 3 (Pixar Animation Studios, June 16)
Blindsided by a new generation of blazing-fast racers, the legendary Lightning McQueen pushes himself beyond his limits and has a major crash at the Piston Cup, resulting in removal from his racing career to recover from his injury. To get back in the game, he will need the help of an eager young female race technician, Cruz Ramirez. Proving that #95 isn't through yet, he will test the heart of a champion on Piston Cup Racing's biggest stage against his new rival, Jackson Storm.
Despicable Me 3 (Illumination Entertainment, June 30)
Gru faces off against Balthazar Bratt, a former child star who grows up to become obsessed with the character he played in the '80s; and gets into some sibling rivalry when he meets his long lost twin brother, Dru.
Blazing Samurai (Blazing Productions Ltd/Mass Animation, August 4)
The story revolves around a scrappy young dog Hank (Michael Cera) who dreams of becoming a samurai and fights to save the town called "Kakamucho" from becoming the litter box of a nefarious feline warlord Ika Chu (Ricky Gervais) who unveils his grand plan to get rid of the inhabitants.
The Emoji Movie (Sony Pictures Animation, August 4)
The film will center on Gene, a multi-expressional emoji who sets out on a journey to become a normal emoji.
The Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature (ToonBox Entertainment, August 18)
Surly (Will Arnett) and the park animals must band together to prevent Oakton City's crooked mayor (Bobby Moynihan) from bulldozing Liberty Park and replacing it with a dangerous amusement park.
Animal Crackers (Blue Dream Studios/China Film Group Corporation, September 1)
Animal Crackers follows the Huntington family whose life is turned upside down when they inherit a rundown circus and a mysterious box of Animal Crackers, which magically change the person who eats them into the animal they have eaten — including monkeys, giraffes, lions, elephants, tigers, rhinos and bears. They must save the circus from being taken over by their evil uncle Horatio P. Huntington (Ian McKellen).
The Lego Ninjago Movie (Warner Animation Group, September 22)
6 ninjas are "hired" by an old Master (Jackie Chan) and become the "heroes" at night, defeating monsters and riding awesome vehicles. Meanwhile, a hungry warlord (Justin Theroux) plots for revenge on his brother, who was the Master that trained the ninja.
My Little Pony: The Movie (Hasbro Studios/DHX Media, October 6)
In order to stop a threat to the town of Ponyville, the "Mane Six" – Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Rarity – must leave Equestria, meeting new friends and overcoming challenges in the process.
The Star (Sony Pictures Animation/The Jim Henson Company, November 10)
The film centers on a donkey, Bo, and his animal friends who become the unsung heroes of the first Christmas.
Coco (Pixar Animation Studios, November 22)
Coco follows a 12-year-old boy named Miguel who sets off a chain of events relating to a century-old mystery, leading to an extraordinary family reunion.
Ferdinand (Blue Sky Studios, December 15)
If you don't know the story of Ferdinand, you're not going to see this anyway. Gabriel Iglesias is in this, but he's not playing Ferdinand.
There's two other films confirmed for this year, but no confirmed release date. Don't worry, they probably suck. Right now, the only ones I'm really aching to see this year are The Lego Batman Movie and Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie (and maybe Animal Crackers, if only for how bad it will probably be).

i can't wait for cars 3, literally pixar's take on Logan

I would see the lego movies. I'm actually more excited about Ninjago than Batman cause man that tv show was great. I can't believe they are actually going to make a MLP movie that's not Equestria Girls. Also I hope the Captain Undertale movie knows that by calling their movie the first movie their jinxing themselves of potentially not having a second. I've only seen that jinx fail one time and that's with Pokemon.

The Smurfs movie, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3, the emoji movie, and the nut job 2 can go fuck themselves .

I'm actually looking forward to Cars 3. It looks pretty interesting so far.

I also don't like the premise of Captain Underpants. Why are they high school kids now? The series is aimed at elementary school children, and the original book is set in elementary school.

i just hope jeremy clarkson will be able to cameo again

that was one of the best bits of that film

Baby Luigi said:
I'm actually looking forward to Cars 3. It looks pretty interesting so far.
I have ZERO expectations that it will be good.

I know how you work pixar.
Baby Luigi said:
I also don't like the premise of Captain Underpants. Why are they high school kids now? The series is aimed at elementary school children, and the original book is set in elementary school.
...wtf. Ok yeah that movie is defintely going to fail then.

Then again, Wikipedia also contradicts this synopsis by saying it will take place in elementary school and the kids will be 10 years old.

Make up your mind.

Baby Luigi said:
I didn't even catch that (I pretty much just copypasted the premises from Wikipedia). The trailers show them as they are in the books, and like you said, Wikipedia themselves later say they're in elementary school. In addition, this npr podcast talks about the movie and includes a soundbite of Ed Helms playing Mr. Krupp where he clearly calls it an elementary school. I think it's safe to say "high school" is probably an error, though on whose part I don't know, as a few other sources also use the words high school.

Just a few notes on the MLP movie I want to share.

Season 7 of the main show is slated to start in April this year. The reason I bring up the show is because it's very likely Season 7 will still be going by the time the Movie is released in theaters. Cause it's been confirmed to be a full 26-episode season. The only way they could of timed it well enough with the former Spring release date is if the Season started on the very first Saturday of Spring. And then 23 straight weeks of new episodes. Though even then. The movie would be out one day before the Season 7 Finale. But since it starts in April and there hasn't been a season without some kind of 1 or 2 month long break since Season 4 there will likely be some amount of episodes still to air after the movie makes it.

So I don't know how much Season 7 will really connect to the movie. Though it's possible some minor connections could make it in.

I do know that most of the people still around that worked on Seasons 1-5 are focusing on the movie. While 6-7 may be lead by a sort of B-team that's keeping the show going while the higher-ups are focused on the movie. (Which may explain why Season 6 got it's mixed reception. It definitely wasn't quite as popular in the fanbase as previous seasons.)

Back