Author Topic: Tournaments  (Read 2084 times)

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
Tournaments
« on: February 07, 2017, 07:33:56 PM »
Plans, ideas, general discussion re: tournaments  :waluigi:

Alexander Hamilton

• Secretary of Treasury Packy
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
Re: Tournaments
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 07:54:54 PM »
Pokémon Gen 7 tournament, anybody?  :boo:

Lord Bowser

• Super High School Level Bowser
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • "It's funny because we're all living in a simulation and free will is a lie."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 07:56:37 PM »
will the (likely) mk8 tournament this year be using regular mk8, the deluxe version for the switch, or both?

(credit to TPG)

(credit to Mr. Edo)

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 07:59:07 PM »
There's been a vague idea floating around about an Overwatch tournament of sorts, and with literally the patch update today that might be more possible/fun/flexible.

New Feature: Server Browser

Starting today, every player can create their own, unique Overwatch experience and share it with their friends, their teammates, or the entire world. Introducing the Server Browser.

An extension of Overwatch's Custom Game mode, the Server Browser allows you to adjust the settings on various maps, modes, and heroes, creating your own tailor-made server. If, for example, you want to increase Pharah’s missile speed or remove the cooldown from McCree's Combat Roll, the power is yours. Once you're happy with your settings and you're ready to launch your game, you'll need to set up the permissions. You can limit the number of people who can join your game by toggling the "Friends Only" or "Invite Only" options, but if you want to put your strange creation to the real test, set your server to "Public" and click the launch button.

The Server Browser is currently being tested, so we'll be making changes throughout the PTR. Thank you for helping us test the feature, and we're excited to see what you make of it.

Hurdles for this tournament would be numbers--the game can be pricy for some people ($40 minimum, sales ???) and not too many people have it.  Being able to adjust the game size from 6v6 to 3v3 might be able to help, as well as other mini-game ideas.

will the (likely) mk8 tournament this year be using regular mk8, the deluxe version for the switch, or both?

Depends on who runs it honestly, but whichever one is more inclusive would be the one I'd like to see ran; both can potentially be done, though.

BEEEEEAAARRRS

• 658 pieces
  • Power Star
  • Toadbert101
  • how about a rousing game of pool
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 08:18:04 PM »
idk if this is the place for it but me and uniju are basically confirmed to do minecraft again

Stargazing

• Astronomer, Astrologer
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 09:39:15 PM »
i would like to do mario kart 7 again, but i don't think it's very likely because connection problems with the game were very bad when i last did it, not just with me but with everyone. regardless, i still have fun hosting so if no one cares i'll do if again

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 10:24:14 PM »
I suck at tournaments, but I'm in :)

Of course we have to have a Smash Bros. tournament as well. Not sure if I'm able to host, though.

Lord Bowser

• Super High School Level Bowser
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • "It's funny because we're all living in a simulation and free will is a lie."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 10:30:10 PM »
i could potentially host the mk8 tournament if no one else has already claimed it, same with smash (3ds or wii u)

(credit to TPG)

(credit to Mr. Edo)

Doof

• I believe the morning sun, always gonna shine again
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • DragonFreak
  • Everything that drowns me makes me wanna fly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 11:21:10 PM »
Yoshin and I have been talking about doing Terraria Games (not to intentionally compete with Minecraft games)

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
  • Rest in Peace, Walkazo 😢
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 07:08:54 AM »
Have thought about having a 'vanilla' Mario Kart 8 tournament, but having a Deluxe version next to it which instead of regular races is a Battle tournament.

Seeing that's the main plus of Deluxe and I haven't seen any Mario Kart Battle tournaments yet, that could potentially be interesting.

Cirdec

• Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 10:16:37 AM »
I would like to host Splatoon and make it hopefully happen this time.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 01:41:25 AM »
So as you all can probably see by now, tournaments are all getting started.  If anyone would like to host one, please be sure to send your prospective opening post (rules, etc.) to both me and turb to look over first before posting it up here.  With that we can give you pointers and details, and help you plan when it will run, etc.

Awards Tournaments will run from June 1st to August 31st, so please keep those confines in mind when submitting your tourney.

Broly

• Handicap? Is that another word for "coffin"?
  • Shine Sprite
  • aregularforumuser
  • Broly: Screaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 12:28:35 PM »
i could host the smash tournament if we still need someone for it

Alexander Hamilton

• Secretary of Treasury Packy
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 12:35:23 PM »
I'm super late in getting the Pokemon tournament prepared, and I am so sincerely sorry for that. I'm wrapping up my finals today and my plan is to get right to work on getting the Pokemon tournament up as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I lost my SD card like two months ago that had my Moon save file on it, so I am currently unable to actually go through the confusing process of registering people and connecting with them to battle online (and it would probably take too long to get to the point of where I can actually do that myself). Would somebody be willing to help me out with that, please? I would sincerely appreciate it greatly and I will make sure whoever can help me out will get tokens for it.

If you would like and you are super-interested, I would definitely be interested in having a co-host as well; and, if you're worried, don't - you can still play in the Pokemon tournament!

If you're interested in being a co-host or would just like to help me out, let me know; I would absolutely love and appreciate any help I could get regarding the process of registering / connecting with others online because I know it's a bit of a hassle. Ideally what I am looking for is to be able to explain it within the opening post, like Dippy and I did for last year's tourney. Thank you!! <3

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 12:50:02 PM »
i could host the smash tournament if we still need someone for it

That would be great. I mentioned making it myself earlier, but I have no idea what to do :P

Marie

• The best squid girl
  • Dry Bowser
  • Luigi 64DD
  • If you find any good Marie fanart, send it here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 09:14:50 PM »
Can someone make a Mario Kart 8/ Mario Kart 8 Deluxe tournament?

Credit to several artists for my avatars, see this post. Also click the above image for nice music!
Userpage | Ask | Art

Stargazing

• Astronomer, Astrologer
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 09:15:52 PM »
It's probably still in the works. Last year, the post went up in late May.

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
  • Rest in Peace, Walkazo 😢
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 03:28:01 AM »
Can confirm that.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 02:46:03 AM »
Just a notice to all tournament hosts:

While the AC works on finalizing how to do tokens this year and into the future, plan on awarding your players tokens as if nothing has changed, using last year as an example to go off of.  We will work that into our new setup later without you having to wait and worry about what will change.  With the shifting prize landscape thanks to changes within Steam's gifting policies, it may take more time than intended to come to a final conclusion on what will work best, but assuredly they will be ready well enough before prize distribution occurs.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, compliments, bribes, please feel free to lob a PM at me or comment here!

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »
SO WE'VE DECIDED ON A THING
In an effort to create more of a standard for tokens distributed in tournaments, we've decided to use a blend of two plans proposed within the AC. This new plan involves creating a set amount of tokens given to the hosts per the amount of participants; each participant increasing the total by 30. These tokens can then be given out by them as they see fit.  The totals given are not absolute, and tournament hosts will be able to request some wiggle room (within reason) if the total does not line up with their plans. Thus, this solution remains flexible.  This will help tournament token rates make more sense and help remove a lot of the 'ehhhh this feels fine' and the guessing games, but won't remain inflexible and will still allow for tournament hosts to request some wiggle room.  Prize prices will remain similar to last year.

There was certainly a lot more detail to this internally, so if you have any questions beyond just this necessary information please feel free to ask!  I will be sending hosts PMs shortly confirming to them how much tokens they have to divvy out and correspond with them on any further requests and confirmations.