Laptop is being very strange...

Stargazing

Retired.
Pronouns
They/them
A little while ago, I got a weird startup screen on my computer. It was kind of white and neon-y, which is unusual to my usual Windows startup screen. Nyrie told me that's the screen that rendered her laptop completely unusable, so I force shut down my computer in a panic, but it still worked! Sort of.

It was very very slow at times, sometimes when I shut it down the internals wouldn't shut off (which leads to the dead battery thread I had about half a year ago), and in the last days before I took it in to get it fixed, it wouldn't load names of my plugged in devices (eg. "Apple iPhone" instead of the custom name I gave it, no name for my USB drive). I got it fixed at GeekSquad. They told my my Windows operating system seemed to have corrupted. All seemed to be well when I got it fixed.

Except a few days ago, I got that weird startup screen again. My computer's started to be very slow at times, and I'm running into the battery problem. Do I need a new laptop, because I'll just keep shelling out money to get this one fixed otherwise? Or, is there a solution right under my nose? Help is appreciated.

if windows is corrupted a clean install will solve the problem, though this likely goes deeper from what it sounds like

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

id still try it though. note: you have to wipe your hard drive completely during the setup (boot the install tool from a dvd or usb while in bios) and by completely i mean completely, so id secure any important data before this

(there will be a screen where it asks you which drive you want to install windows on (choose C:)), and theres a rubber icon and use that on C: before installing

also if you already have windows 10 installed this will activate itself so no worries there

if you need detailed instructions query me or w/e

Dr. John H. Watson said:
if windows is corrupted a clean install will solve the problem, though this likely goes deeper from what it sounds like
i actually was talking with my dad about how geeksquad handled my computer tonight. after stating that he thinks that this was a virus that came from "all the forums i go on" and that you guys are all phishers that install software on my computer to find my computer details, he also stated that geeksquad did not replace my hard drive but actually did a clean install of windows itself, which is what you're saying i do. third time may not be the charm, lol.

maybe the problem would be fixed with a new hard drive, but i'd also need software that tells it how to run and i don't know where to get that so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ this is all very complicated and i'll actually talk about the suggested method when he gets home from work tomorrow

I view that as a compliment. I wish I had a skill to write a virus.

Stargazing said:
he thinks that this was a virus that came from "all the forums i go on" and that you guys are all phishers that install software on my computer to find my computer details
ah shit, guess my quest for finding out the exact hertz rate for your multicore processors is over

Back