Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakituthequick

Celestial Guide
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
The logo is also a graphical asset of the wiki, but not a banner, will post here instead. Eldritchdraaks (User:Eldritchdraaks) contacted me (and a few others) because he took a shot at redesigning the logo, but also doesn't feel for creating an account here just yet.

Dp1lxKa.png
xNmXEyv.png

Steve appears to give a liking for the second one.
Personally I find them possibly a bit generic (or at least the second), plus I've noted the drop shadow at the bottom right as irregular.

Some talk pages: Eldritchdraaks (User_talk:Eldritchdraaks#Re:_Wiki_Logo) - Porplemontage (User_talk:Porplemontage#The_Super_Mario_Wiki_Logo) - Lakituthequick (User_talk:Lakituthequick#Wiki_Logo) - YoshiKong (User_talk:Shokora#New_Super_Mario_Wiki_Logo)

A logo should ideally use the least colors as possible, and the mushroom color fits the bill. Additionally, that render of Mario running from Super Mario Run can be very easily dated when a few years come and go while the 2D Mushroom logo will age far less. And finally, the less colors fits the .svg format perfectly, something very ideal when designing logos.

Between the two, I'd pick the second one, but as you've said, the drop shadow is distracting and it's a bit generic. It's easily identifiable, but nothing about it is particularly suggestive of the wiki (besides the obvious text).

The current logo at this time shows SMB to SMG. It seems as that seems a little dated itself. As for the Mario from Super Mario Run, if chosen, it would have to be updated to SMO. The Mushroom with something more will be fine with me.

Personally, I much prefer the current logo over these proposed ones.

I absolutely hate the current logo. It's a mish-mash of different screenshots (that we arguably didn't make, only edited) from a random assortment of Mario games with Mario's Mario Baseball artwork being used for whatever reason. Google the word "logo" in Google Images, see how they're designed? You can also think of up a logo in mind too, which follows up to my next point. They're always very simple with very minimal colors. Being simply designed makes logos more memorable. Wikipedia is an exception to this rule, but their logo design is intuitive, clever and has a strong reason behind its design so they have an excuse, unlike our logo.

The logo would work better if it was, say a button thumbnail, but that's not its purpose.

I think the current logo is ugly as sin and I welcome any replacement. out of the proposition, I prefer the Super Mushroom one (plus it goes somewhat with the twitter feed's icon).

I'm all for changing the logo. I like the proposed Mushroom one, it's simple and looks good. I've also always liked the one we use for NIWA:

supermariowiki.png

I've liked that logo design as well. Never see why we never used it.

Yoshi the SSM said:
We could even add some eyes until the end of the Super Mario Odyssey era.

I think it's better if we allow the logo to never grow outdated, and making it about a specific game would definitely make it outdated in just a few years.

The Pyro Guy said:
Yoshi the SSM said:
We could even add some eyes until the end of the Super Mario Odyssey era.

I think it's better if we allow the logo to never grow outdated, and making it about a specific game would definitely make it outdated in just a few years.

Well, we did something similar for the Year of Luigi, where the wiki was branded as the "Super Luigi Wiki" for December of 2013 only. I don't see why we couldn't have fun with the logo every now and then, though perhaps we should wait until Odyssey is actually released.

On topic, while I'll definitely miss the old logo, it is overdue for a change. I'm good with either the mushroom or the NIWA version.

I'm open to the mushroom logo, although resizing down from 1500x1500 isn't ideal. A native 150x150 version or SVG would be welcome.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing an alternate version with the "Super Mario" text on separate lines and larger, like the current logo.

I like this logo, much better than the current one. The one with the hat and the light blue background is nice and I've wanted the change years ago, but yeah.

I have split this discussion to a new topic, for easy reference.

I have a question. You think we should stylize the logo a bit more? I overlooked LTQ's comment that the logo looks a bit generic, and I'll have to agree with that.

Not saying we should go back to it, but I miss the very first logo we had. Although that may be due to nostalgia.

LeftyGreenMario said:
I have a question. You think we should stylize the logo a bit more? I overlooked LTQ's comment that the logo looks a bit generic, and I'll have to agree with that.
Yeah, I do think so. I like the simplicity of the mushroom graphic. But when reduced to the correct logo size, I think the text becomes noticeably plain. It would be good if it can be stylized a bit more. And like Porple said earlier, it could be made larger and rearranged.

Also, notice on the full size image how there is a darker edge on the right side of the mushroom? I think that should be removed, because when the logo size is reduced to the ideal x150px, that effect no longer works, and it only causes the shape of the mushroom to appear a bit off.

You mean that one with Super Mario All-Stars Mario? I... sort of miss it, but it's in distant memory. Maybe we can reuse it for special occasions?

Eldritchsdraaks said:
Ok, so I'll remove the dropshadow on the mushroom. The mushroom itself is a good representation of the mushroom kingdom as a whole, rather than specifically Mario himself, as the wiki covers the entire franchise and everything relating to the mushroom kingdom and it's citizens.

2BrvLao.png

KPH2293 said:
Smwlogo.PNG

Brings back so many memories...
the horror

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back