Will the Switch get its own unique Smash game?

Paper Mario

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
I feel like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was a waste of a Switch Mario Kart just because the alternative would have been a brand new Mario Kart 9. I hope they don't do the same thing with Smash and just port over the Wii U version with 3DS content and a couple new characters. It's just not as hype as a full-on new title. Like, imagine if next E3 they showed Smash 4 gameplay with slightly better graphics. Would that be nearly as hype as when Smash 4 itself was first revealed? They need to blow us away again.

I believe they'll get a completely new Mario Kart and Smash Bros. running. Porting doesn't take that much time, though all that development time is for the courses in Mario Kart and debugging like always. Oh, and trying to get it running in the Switch in the first place.

I don't see why the Switch wouldn't get a new Smash game. Both a new Smash and Mario Kart are pretty much guaranteed to be a top 5 console bestseller.

im pretty much counting on it, generally not too interested in it but i have no doubts there will be a new smash.

Maybe later down the line possibly, but for now I'm pretty sure they'll be happy with a port of Smash 4. It hasn't been that long since Smash 4 was released after all

While I feel that a Smash 5 is inevitable, it'll be in the far future because Smash is too special of a series to announce a new one when Sm4sh isn't that old.

Of course we'll be getting a new Smash game for the Switch. The thing prints money.

Now, as to if we'll be getting a port of Smash 4 or a brand new game, we'll have to wait and see.

Smash 5 will definitely be coming to the Switch. One thing I want is to not have a title as stupid as "Super Smash Bros. for Wii U". It sounds so pretentious.

Baby Luigi said:
Smash 5 will definitely be coming to the Switch. One thing I want is to not have a title as stupid as "Super Smash Bros. for Wii U". It sounds so pretentious.

Back when Smash 4 was in development, I thought that the Wii U version was going to be named "Super Smash Bros Universe".

Baby Luigi said:
I think they were trying to play off of the word four.

This is very tricky to say....

On one hand, Smash 4 is going to get stagnant SOMETIME. A fresh new game could really bring life and speculation back to the series again. I wanted more tracks and more amiibo suits in Mario Kart 8...oh well.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and this Smash port will be the only games in their franchise for a generation, as a brand new entry on the same system would split the playerbase, and with paid online, the last thing you want is a split playerbase. Also, I think fans are way too hung up on tradition. Do people really want to get of Lucina and Dark Pit because of tradition? Do you really want to see the massive amount of content in both games shrink? The Switch isn't a generational leap from Wii U, so I think they should have a team working on such games for the long term.

I hope there will be a much better theme song. To be honest the theme to Smash 4 is pretty bland compared to the music in the previous games, especially Brawl.

Considering how poorly the wii u sold there is plenty of market for them to make money off switch ports of these games that were no doubt expensive to produce initially.

supermariofan said:
All I'm asking for in terms of newcomers is Sora.

Don't hold your breath.

They already paid a hefty fine of royalties to use Cloud.....

Not even sure who owns Sora anyway, Disney or SE

I'd rather they stick with cloud, much better character, pre-advant children.

I think Sora has a bit of a complication of being partially owned by Sora and Disney. Either way though I don't think he's the best choice should Square Enix get another rep.

I think it'd either be a Dragon Quest protagonist, Lara Croft, or possibly even Geno (Since we now know Sakurai has had interest in having him in Smash even back in the Brawl days)

supermariofan said:
I hope there will be a much better theme song. To be honest the theme to Smash 4 is pretty bland compared to the music in the previous games, especially Brawl.
I agree, though on a stronger opinion. I think that music grates on my ears after a while.

Northern Verve said:
I think Sora has a bit of a complication of being partially owned by Sora and Disney. Either way though I don't think he's the best choice should Square Enix get another rep.

I think it'd either be a Dragon Quest protagonist, Lara Croft, or possibly even Geno (Since we now know Sakurai has had interest in having him in Smash even back in the Brawl days)
Personally I think Chrono would be a great Square rep, especially due to the nostalgia his inclusion would entail.

Roserade said:
Northern Verve said:

Personally I think Chrono would be a great Square rep, especially due to the nostalgia his inclusion would entail.
And then whiny fanboys would cry about another "anime swordsman"

"but it's Nintendo ALL STARS".

I would also like another story mode feature added in this game, I thought Subspace Emmisary despite uninteresting plot, was actually a pretty cool feature and I hope they create a new story here.

Back