Super Mario Run: The Most Dissapointing Mario Game this Year

Lemon

funny
Well, this year, we didn't get too many Mario games. Just Super Mario Maker, and of course, the one, the only, Super Mario Run. Now, some people may like it, and I respect that. But I have my reason to why I just HATE it.

Well, first off, the price for the full game. After playing 1 or 3 levels, you have to pay 10 dollars for the rest, 10 dollars! Now, you may be thinking, "It's Nintendo, of course they will." Well, Mario Run is the worst thing to exist mostly because YOU HAVE TO PAY 10 DOLLARS FOR THE GAME! Nintendo shouldn't get their expectations up high for the game if they make players PAY for most the game, so they shouldn't have made it at all.

Next up, you need an internet connection to play. Seriously, the only function in the game that needs Wi-Fi is buying the whole game and possibly other in-app purchases. But seriously, this game doesn't need an internet connection! It's making you spend more cash, and it goes like that forever. So if you don't want to pay for a data plan, don't get this game.

Another reason, you need an iPhone to play. Seriously Nintendo, not everyone is gonna pay for an iPhone to play this game.

And the final reason is the gameplay. It's seriously boring, and all you do is tap the screen. No on-screen controls to play, just your finger to tap. Honestly, people can turn their phone sideways to play and use controls, I want it to be like a traditional Mario game, not Geometry Dash.

Anyway, don't get this game. You will regret it.

I think you're overreacting by calling this the, ahem "Worst thing to exist". The price is too premium for what it offers, true, but the gameplay itself is still solid for an auto-runner and the level design is still very spot-on and Mario quality.

Online-only DRM makes sense only in Toad Rally but not in World Tour mode. I think the devs wanted World Tour to be offline-available but I forgot where so don't quote me.

Also, playing a traditional platformer with touch screen buttons sounds miserable imo. I already have enough issues navigating through clicking links.

OmegaVenomous said:
Another reason, you need an iPhone to play. Seriously Nintendo, not everyone is gonna pay for an iPhone to play this game.
hey, you may call it a waste of $700, i say it's barely a trifle to play the best designed game ever made

Baby Luigi said:
I think you're overreacting by calling this the, ahem "Worst thing to exist". The price is too premium for what it offers, true, but the gameplay itself is still solid for an auto-runner and the level design is still very spot-on and Mario quality.

Online-only DRM makes sense only in Toad Rally but not in World Tour mode. I think the devs wanted World Tour to be offline-available but I forgot where so don't quote me.

Also, playing a traditional platformer with touch screen buttons sounds miserable imo. I already have enough issues navigating through clicking links.

True, it's not the worst thing ever, considering what Superman 64 was.

I agree that the price here is incredibly disappointing, along with it being (currently) exclusive on an OS I really don't like. I love it how Nintendo makes it always online-DRM primarily because fears of piracy. No shit, they could've reduced the piracy amount by reducing the price to a much more reasonable 2-3 bucks. That works. I find it hilarious that they're scared that people will pirate their products right after they slap a 10 dollar price tag on this thing. If no price reduction, they need to put more content and focus on the meat of the game, the levels, not Toad Rally, where they tried to focus the game on. Make it actually worth 10 dollars.

To put it in perspective, Rayman Fiesta Run has 72 levels and costs only a few dollars. Sure, it has in-app purchases, but I believe they don't detract from the game.

OmegaVenomous said:
Well, first off, the price for the full game. After playing 1 or 3 levels, you have to pay 10 dollars for the rest, 10 dollars! Now, you may be thinking, "It's Nintendo, of course they will." Well, Mario Run is the worst thing to exist mostly because YOU HAVE TO PAY 10 DOLLARS FOR THE GAME! Nintendo shouldn't get their expectations up high for the game if they make players PAY for most the game, so they shouldn't have made it at all.

are you getting your games from pirate bay? poor kid, that stuff's draining on your internet connection you know.

OmegaVenomous said:
Next up, you need an internet connection to play. Seriously, the only function in the game that needs Wi-Fi is buying the whole game and possibly other in-app purchases. But seriously, this game doesn't need an internet connection! It's making you spend more cash, and it goes like that forever. So if you don't want to pay for a data plan, don't get this game.

data plan? don't you have wi-if?

wtf how do you access pirate bay without wi-fi? are you still using dial-up? if so how long is one download usually taking you holy shit aaaaaa

OmegaVenomous said:

Yeah + it's not really a good idea to get an ipod touch/ipad/iphone without actually having real internet access. Besides that, an android version has been announced.

OmegaVenomous said:
And the final reason is the gameplay. It's seriously boring, and all you do is tap the screen. No on-screen controls to play, just your finger to tap. Honestly, people can turn their phone sideways to play and use controls, I want it to be like a traditional Mario game, not Geometry Dash.

youve been disappointed by a game that's been advertised as being playable with one hand all the time? okay then.

OmegaVenomous said:

I don't necessarily disagree with this point but the people are hating on this game for all the wrong reasons. (btw the above replies have been sarcasm mostly in case you couldnt tell)

To be honest to me this still seems like a welcome change and cheaper alternative to paying 40 bucks for the same shit again and again (cough new super mario bros), thus I'm absolutely fine with paying only 1/4 for a game that virtually has the same amount of content. Besides that, the game is a really good timewaster and that's everything i want from a phone game.

The always on drm doesn't really apply that much as it only applies whenever you are starting or finishing a level, or using the toad rally or kingdom builder modes. In the levels itself no internet connection is required. source: im driving through an area with no mobile internet connection on my way home from work and i was stuck in a level and nothing happened. Also I've been checking my data plan and super mario run has used up a whopping 346 KB of it this month so far. good bait considering im almost exclusively playing it when im not at home.

if you want a real portable mario game nobody is stopping you from just bringing a 3ds, its not like this was ever intended to be a full on mario game anyways

now please get off of your high horse and face the reality that mobile gaming is a thing now. I know how you feel because that's how i used to feel as well.

I mean I respect your opinion but all I'm seeing is people shilling against this game and I'm seriously not seeing it

freakworld said:
I mean I respect your opinion but all I'm seeing is people shilling against this game and I'm seriously not seeing it

Ok, I'm fine with your opinions disagreeing with the OP up until you accuse people of disagreeing with you as "shilling". That's not right. We have absolutely nothing to gain from "shilling" against this game.

okay i might have worded that wrong

what i tried to say is im tired of seeing uninformed people who probably havent played this game nor even looked it up propagating the same opinion that might be founded coming out of the mouths of people like us here but not so much your average user from lets say /v/ who probably doesnt even care they just need something to complain about

i tried to say something about those people, not the people on here (ive been following the mario run thread), thus differentiating between those two groups

Coming from an unabashed pirate bay user.

What does pirate bay have to do with this? I'm not even going to begin why people do pirate seeing that's it's another bird feeder of arguments. <-sarc so edited it out; You're [still] making bad assumptions already about this person and people like me who do think this game is a disappointment, and that's not how you present arguments and it's not how you get anywhere with arguments. The person has never complained about mobile gaming in of itself. Maybe the person is new to it, but don't accuse of "high horses" and shilling, you only provoke.

And besides, I myself am entirely unable to play this game thanks to my utter contempt for anything and everything Apple but even if this were on Android, I'd choke at spending ten bucks on a 24-level game that emphasizes on tedious online competition and extremely repetitive "replay value". This game is overpriced to me, not to you. You probably felt that you got 10 bucks worth, and that's good. I wish I have the same satisfaction, but I didn't like what I saw, so that's my conclusion. Yes, other games have bad cases of in-app purchases which can total to worse than ten bucks, but it doesn't make this game good to me either.

OmegaVenomous said:
Well, Mario Run is the worst thing to exist
pretty sure herpes is worse

OmegaVenomous said:
now this just makes me want to buy it, forbidden fruit, y'know?

OmegaVenomous said:
You will regret it.
https://youtu.be/Qku_VDZoB6c?t=15s

OmegaVenomous said:
the whole thing
maybe it's time you migrated away from mario games for a while

why not try out PC gaming? it's fun! come to the dark side

for me, mario has lost its touch recently, i'll always remember the games pre-2012

Decidueye said:
I know you're not directing it at me

But I think I've been consumed.

Thanks a lot, Steam.

Decidueye said:

pc gaming is the dark side????

uh...muahahahahaha?

freakworld said:
okay i might have worded that wrong

what i tried to say is im tired of seeing uninformed people who probably havent played this game nor even looked it up propagating the same opinion that might be founded coming out of the mouths of people like us here but not so much your average user from lets say /v/ who probably doesnt even care they just need something to complain about

i tried to say something about those people, not the people on here (ive been following the mario run thread), thus differentiating between those two groups

oh man it's like this in gamefaqs

more often than not, you'll probably see me defending that game because of people hating on it irrationally, and I don't even like Super Mario Run

it's not like i'm trying to convince people who don't like this game to like it because that's a fair opinion but "muh data plan" i mean come on

anyways i think ive made my point here

it's time for me to fly to the next topic

*woosh*

Decidueye said:
OmegaVenomous said:
Well, Mario Run is the worst thing to exist
pretty sure herpes is worse

OmegaVenomous said:
now this just makes me want to buy it, forbidden fruit, y'know?

OmegaVenomous said:
You will regret it.
https://youtu.be/Qku_VDZoB6c?t=15s

OmegaVenomous said:
the whole thing
maybe it's time you migrated away from mario games for a while

for me, mario has lost its touch recently, i'll always remember the games pre-2012

I am a PC gamer, got my Steam account with 15 bucks in my bank. Spent 5 on Undertale, so MLG.

Also, please break up the fight between Mario Run. We don't need a flame war to go on.

OmegaVenomous said:
Also, please break up the fight between Mario Run. We don't need a flame war to go on.
there's a fight going on?

*checks back through thread*

omg totes did not see that until now

Decidueye said:
OmegaVenomous said:
there's a fight going on?

*checks back through thread*

omg totes did not see that until now

Ironic thing is that I wasn't even involved

OmegaVenomous said:
Well, this year, we didn't get too many Mario games. Just Super Mario Maker, and of course, the one, the only, Super Mario Run. Now, some people may like it, and I respect that. But I have my reason to why I just HATE it.
And I respect your opinion.
OmegaVenomous said:
You're complaining about a measly ten dollars? Jeez, and Super Mario is, what, forty dollars? 10<40. If you don't learn your math, you're not gonna survive out there.
OmegaVenomous said:
Yeah, sure, you need SOOOOOO much money to BUILD A FRIGGIN' CANTENNA! (not a spelling mistake; cantennas are antennas made out of tin cans)
OmegaVenomous said:
Not everybody's gonna buy a 3DS or Wii U to play Super Mario Maker.
OmegaVenomous said:
But I like Geometry Dash and the Impossible Game and Sonic Runners and Super Mario Run!
OmegaVenomous said:
I DON'T RESPECT YOUR OPINION ANYMORE!

I rest my case.

Speaking of Geometry Dash, my account is SuperDoom. I'm working on a level called 'Potential'.

i bought it and i liked it, and if you don't like it that's okay.

there's no need for me to put a wall of text here, because that's really all there is to say.

Back