Super Mario Run

freakworld

El Psy Kongroo
Banned User
ios exclusive mario game, just got word about this from a guy watching the apple keynote

have no other information so far, will post more stuff soon

EDIT: apparently mario stickers will be available on imessage (apple's messaging service), also miyamoto himself showed up to present

Does anyone else remember a point where wikia always had a link at the bottom of a page to some kind of touchscreen gaming wiki, and the preview picture is a guy holding an iPhone with a screenshot from NSMB photoshopped on so it looks like he's making Mario run by tilting the device is this ringing any bells

Oooh, this looks fun.

If it's an iPhone exclusive though I will scream.

Cory Baxter said:
Oooh, this looks fun.

If it's an iPhone exclusive though I will scream.

they said "first on iphone"

good thing i just bought an iphone i guess lol

This looks like an enjoyable time waster and therefore right for the iPhone.

this sure reminds me of something

Sonic wants you to beat your friends

anyway a mario-themed infinite runner seems to work much better than i expected. hopefully the fact that it it isn't a freemium game means it wont have ridiculous microtransactions like the other mobile games out there (for example, sonic dash, which i just brought up anyway)

Wow, this went quickly, they even jumped a few intermediate steps and directly went to runner with Mario presented at an Apple conference! Now I want to see the computer software, Nintendo!

This being said, the two Rayman runners were actually pretty great in my opinion, so it's not like this is necessarily the end of quality in the Mario franchise.

still, there is something that makes me think:
  • Why on earth does Mario have a set of moves that weren't featured in the NSMB games?
  • The NSMB style is clearly THE official Mario style, if P&D:SMBE wasn't already explicit enough, still, with Super Mario Maker and now this game, the fate of the NSMB series is now debatable at best, because another game with this style will be considered bootleg tier at best. The next 2D Mario game should be no less earthshattering than what SMW and SMW2: YI were at the time to be credible even in the eyes of the casual gamers. Or, you know, Nintendo can just stop caring, keep on recycling every reusable asset it can using only a different rendering resolution (in particular, the Larry artwork, model and animations) and go on beyond human reason because the series is doomed anyway, maybe a so intrisically hopeless series can become a source of memeing.
  • Toad Rally, seriosuly, is Nintendo really trolling all the people who disliked the Toad aspect of Sticker Star? We saw Color Splash first with Tabata comments that ensured that the NPCs are mainly Toads, then Mario Party with Toad Scramble, now this. Good thing that Toad is one of my favorite Mario Kart characters ;)

Yasuke Matsuda said:
Looks like they're trying to make Toads the NPC mascot characters, kind of like how Goombas represent the enemies. Doesn't look like it's working out very well, though.
To be fair, Green Toad should be Nintendo's official mascot on LINE:

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/d88d7786-a54e-11e5-a02c-0a6d14145cb1.html

>only on iOS

Phone-ist! All who have Androids should rise up and speak our minds! Nintendo should do better! Android lives matter!

Aw, it is going to be a paid app. It makes me so sad.

Looks fine for a mobile game.

I like his movement animations though, almost like parkour.

Mcmadness said:
Looks fine for a mobile game.

I like his movement animations though, almost like parkour.
It plays like the Rayman mobile games, but controlling with one finger instead of two.

I wonder if there will be power ups in this game.

Back