Nintendo's official Japanese bios

Mister Wu

King Bowser
Wiki Administrator
MarioWiki
Mister Wu
As you noticed from the case of Waluigi, in the last months Nintendo has been releasing bios of various characters in the Kids section of its Japanese site, in which many characters from the Mario universe are featured (and it hasn't so far stopped doing so, which means that more might be coming).

Do you think it would worthwhile to translate them and add them to the wiki? If so, what would be the best approach to do so?

I don't see why not. I mean, we have translated bios of various WarioWare characters, and more official, useless (but fun) information like that helps our wiki's purpose.

There is quite some stuff there. It's interesting (and pretty unnerving) that the bio on Toad has information on Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Golf: World Tour, and Paper Mario: Sticker Star. It's as if Nintendo really doesn't care who this Toad really is, lol.

Striker Mario said:
There is quite some stuff there. It's interesting (and pretty unnerving) that the bio on Toad has information on Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Golf: World Tour, and Paper Mario: Sticker Star. It's as if Nintendo really doesn't care who this Toad really is, lol.
In my talk page we were indirectly discussing this too, as the Super Mario Memorial Book describes Toad as pretty much the species, then mentioning that some have a unique name, such as Toadsworth and Captain Toad. Indeed, in the bio page you linked, Toads are talked about as species and then Captain Toad is mentioned in the last paragraph (which is probably why CT: TT appears in the games). So, yes, only Toadsworth and Captain Toad (and possibly Toadette) appear to be officially confirmed as unique characters...

By the way, important information for the translators:

To extract the text from the page, the images don't have to be acquired with an OCR device! In the HTML source of the page, the full text contained in the images is stored in the "alt" attribute of the images!

Mister Wu said:
Striker Mario said:
In my talk page we were indirectly discussing this too, as the Super Mario Memorial Book describes Toad as pretty much the species, then mentioning that some have a unique name, such as Toadsworth and Captain Toad. Indeed, in the bio page you linked, Toads are talked about as species and then Captain Toad is mentioned in the last paragraph (which is probably why CT: TT appears in the games). So, yes, only Toadsworth and Captain Toad (and possibly Toadette) appear to be officially confirmed as unique characters...

By the way, important information for the translators:

To extract the text from the page, the images don't have to be acquired with an OCR device! In the HTML source of the page, the full text contained in the images is stored in the "alt" attribute of the images!

Thanks I needed that. I'm not a full-fledged translator although I make rough translations. Things like official pages with neat paragraphs and formal grammar isn't too hard. I'll see what I can do

Ok
ワリオの相棒。ルイージをライバルだと思っている、変わりもの。キザでずるがしこく、ひねくれた性格。マリオやルイージとたたかう力をたくわえるために、かくれたところでがんばってきたらしい。けっこう、努力家なのかも・・・!?手足が長いので、それをいかしたスポーツで活躍することもあるよ。でも、いつも姿勢がわるいから、あんまりつよそうには見えない・・・。ちなみに、ワリオとはよくいっしょにいるけど、兄弟ではないらしいよ。

"ワリオの相棒"says "Partner of Wario". The word in this sentence can also be used as "accomplice" or "companion". "ルイージをライバルだと思っている、変わりもの。" says "I am thinking that Luigi is his rival, an eccentric". Now this, "キザでずるがしこく、ひねくれた性格。マリオやルイージとたたかう力をたくわえるために、かくれたところでがんばってきたらしい。けっこう、努力家なのかも・・・!?" translates to "Cunning affectation [that part was harder to translate for me, it also correlates to the English words "niminy-piminiy" and "foppish" to be exact, basically a conceited, over-dramatic, affeminate fellow; but "affectation" summed up all those words for me and made more sense with the sentence], twisted [or perverse; refers to abnormality, hostileness, and cynicism] personality. In order to store the power to fight against Mario and Luigi, it seems like he does his best at a hidden place[?]. Fairly difficult, perhaps a hard worker...?!"
"手足が長いので、それをいかしたスポーツで活躍することもあるよ。でも、いつも姿勢がわるいから、あんまりつよそうには見えない・・・。" is "Since he has long limbs, he shows great activity in sports. But, because his attitude is bad, it does not appear he has any strength"

Finally, "ちなみに、ワリオとはよくいっしょにいるけど、兄弟ではないらしいよ。" translates to "By the way, it seems Wario is not a brother but there is well being together [?]" (or it might translate to the narrator taking a break and pausing in between that sentence, but it's hard to translate)

Basically I translated this
"Partner of Wario. I am thinking that Luigi is his rival, an eccentric. Cunning in affectation, twisted personality. In order to store up the power to fight against Mario and Luigi, it seems like he does his best at a hidden place. Fairly difficult, perhaps a hard worker...?!
Since he has long limbs, he shows great activity in sports. But, because his attitude is bad, it does not appear he has any strength"

This is a rough translation, like I said, and I have limited proficiency in Japanese and how it works we have to wait until an well-knowledgeable translator comes along. But I hope this helps. :P

~~~~

I went ahead and translated Wario's bio. Pretty interesting too.
His childhood friend is his biggest rival (Mario), "or so that's what he says." He's strong and he has a personality that doesn't worry too much about little things. He would do anything to earn his money, and so he's an adventurer, traveled the world to find treasure, and is a president of his own company. And his favorite food is garlic which he eats every day. It also greatly helps his stamina.

(why are wario and waluigi friends again, total opposites)

superlumiella said:
Ok
ワリオの相棒。ルイージをライバルだと思っている、変わりもの。キザでずるがしこく、ひねくれた性格。マリオやルイージとたたかう力をたくわえるために、かくれたところでがんばってきたらしい。けっこう、努力家なのかも・・・!?手足が長いので、それをいかしたスポーツで活躍することもあるよ。でも、いつも姿勢がわるいから、あんまりつよそうには見えない・・・。ちなみに、ワリオとはよくいっしょにいるけど、兄弟ではないらしいよ。

"ワリオの相棒"says "Partner of Wario". The word in this sentence can also be used as "accomplice" or "companion". "ルイージをライバルだと思っている、変わりもの。" says "I am thinking that Luigi is his rival, an eccentric". Now this, "キザでずるがしこく、ひねくれた性格。マリオやルイージとたたかう力をたくわえるために、かくれたところでがんばってきたらしい。けっこう、努力家なのかも・・・!?" translates to "Cunning affectation [that part was harder to translate for me, it also correlates to the English words "niminy-piminiy" and "foppish" to be exact, basically a conceited, over-dramatic, affeminate fellow; but "affectation" summed up all those words for me and made more sense with the sentence], twisted [or perverse; refers to abnormality, hostileness, and cynicism] personality. In order to store the power to fight against Mario and Luigi, it seems like he does his best at a hidden place[?]. Fairly difficult, perhaps a hard worker...?!"
"手足が長いので、それをいかしたスポーツで活躍することもあるよ。でも、いつも姿勢がわるいから、あんまりつよそうには見えない・・・。" is "Since he has long limbs, he shows great activity in sports. But, because his attitude is bad, it does not appear he has any strength"

Finally, "ちなみに、ワリオとはよくいっしょにいるけど、兄弟ではないらしいよ。" translates to "By the way, it seems Wario is not a brother but there is well being together [?]" (or it might translate to the narrator taking a break and pausing in between that sentence, but it's hard to translate)

"Partner of Wario. I am thinking that Luigi is his rival, an eccentric. Cunning affectation, twisted personality. In order to store up the power to fight against Mario and Luigi, it seems like he does his best at a hidden place. Fairly difficult, perhaps a hard worker...?!
Since he has long limbs, he shows great activity in sports. But, because his attitude is bad, it does not appear he has any strength"

This is a rough translation, like I said, and I have limited proficiency in Japanese and how it works we have to wait until an well-knowledgeable translator comes along. But I hope this helps. :P

~~~~

His childhood friend is his biggest rival (Mario), "or so that's what he says." He's strong and he has a personality that doesn't worry too much about little things. He would do anything to earn his money, and so he's an adventurer, traveled the world to find treasure, and is a president of his own company. And his favorite food is garlic which he eats every day. It also greatly helps his stamina.

Taking his bios into account (and common sense), I'd say this is a more accurate translation:
"Partner of Wario. An eccentric who thinks Luigi is his rival. Mischievous with a twisted personality. In order to be strong enough to fight against Mario and Luigi, it seems like he does his best behind the scenes. Perhaps a hard worker...?!

(the "he trains behind the scenes" part sounds like it's taken from his Mario & Sonic @ rio bio actually)

Striker Mario said:
Pretty sure Toad, Yoshi and Kamek are nonspecific "species" characters, although there are exceptions for the latter two (Yoshi's Island DS showing a particular Yoshi as being a Star Child, Mario & Luigi 4 showing "the" Kamek leading many other "Kameks").

Koopalmier said:
superlumiella said:
Ok

"Partner of Wario. I am thinking that Luigi is his rival, an eccentric. Cunning affectation, twisted personality. In order to store up the power to fight against Mario and Luigi, it seems like he does his best at a hidden place. Fairly difficult, perhaps a hard worker...?!

~~~~

Taking his bios into account (and common sense), I'd say this is a more accurate translation:
"Partner of Wario. An eccentric who thinks Luigi is his rival. Mischievous with a twisted personality. In order to be strong enough to fight against Mario and Luigi, it seems like he does his best behind the scenes. Perhaps a hard worker...?!

(the "he trains behind the scenes" part sounds like it's taken from his Mario & Sonic @ rio bio actually)

Striker Mario said:
Pretty sure Toad, Yoshi and Kamek are nonspecific "species" characters, although there are exceptions for the latter two (Yoshi's Island DS showing a particular Yoshi as being a Star Child, Mario & Luigi 4 showing "the" Kamek leading many other "Kameks").

Ok.
You said the word I used could mean mischievous, but it translates to one of doing a cunning deed or a sneaky person. Those are two different meanings of itself because mischievousness is more light-hearted and playful while cunning means skills to do whatever (devious) thing you want through shrewdness and deceit.
"がしこく" also means "cunning" or "sly". Again, mischievous is a different word from this.
However, you let me notice a flaw in my translation
It is "ずるがしこく" which is "Zuru kashikoku". It could be better translated as "crafty" which has a same meaning as cunning, but better to understand for English readers in the context,
and the "kiza" (for affectation [meaning faking emotions, ect],conceit,snobbery; seems to be used only for men) has "de" at the end which I failed to notice somehow

So it would rather be, "Crafty in affectation" or "Cunning in affectation"

superlumiella said:
Ok.
You said the word I used could mean mischievous, but it translates to one of doing a cunning deed or a sneaky person. Those are two different meanings of itself because mischievousness is more light-hearted and playful while cunning means skills to do whatever (devious) thing you want through shrewdness and deceit.
"がしこく" also means "cunning" or "sly". Again, mischievous is a different word from this.
However, you let me notice a flaw in my translation
It is "ずるがしこく" which is "Zuru kashikoku". It could be better translated as "crafty" which has a same meaning as cunning, but better to understand for English readers in the context,
and the "kiza" (for affectation [meaning faking emotions, ect],conceit,snobbery; seems to be used only for men) has "de" at the end which I failed to notice somehow

So it would rather be, "Crafty in affectation" or "Cunning in affectation"

However, that is never how Waluigi is described in English. Hence it is more likely this is what it's supposed to mean.
Not that it matters because we can't add anything on the wiki until we're sure of it.

However, that is never how Waluigi is described in English. Hence it is more likely this is what it's supposed to mean.
That doesn't make sense, just because it's translated differently most of the time means it's supposed to say that?
But the transliteration and original wording doesn't mean "mischievous" so that's just a blatant mistranslation.

Even if you were right about him never being described as that in English, you're still wrong.
He was described as "cunning" in his English Super Smash Bros Trophy description
A crooked mustache and a long, red nose–Waluigi has "villain" written all over him. He considers himself Luigi's rival. He's cunning and quick. When summoned into battle, he'll rush the nearest fighters and stomp them into the ground–then thwack them with his foot or tennis racket!

Now, in Mario Party DS
"This sly guy cuts a cool figure in his purple getup. And his dastardly cunning knows no equal. At least, that's what Waluigi tells himself!"

Not that it matters because we can't add anything on the wiki until we're sure of it.
Well, actually. I believe I said that in my post where I translated it. It does matter if the users want to know the general meaning of what the text says until an esteemed and more knowledgeable translator comes and gives it a proper, full translation.

For the affectation part, Waluigi is known for being over-the-top dramatic and conceited (pulling out roses, doing theatrical poses, saying he's the best, ect) so I don't see how this translation is a problem.

Now, if I'm wrong I'll eat my hat.

Thanks a lot superlumiella and Koopalmier!
I'm still figuring out how to proceed. One thing we might do is posting a tentative translation in the talk page of the characters, discuss the critical aspects and then, once a consensus has been reached, we could transcribe the proper translation on the main page, like I'm doing in the case of the Koopalings. Do you have better approaches?

Mister Wu said:
Thanks a lot superlumiella and Koopalmier!
I'm still figuring out how to proceed. One thing we might do is posting a tentative translation in the talk page of the characters, discuss the critical aspects and then, once a consensus has been reached, we could transcribe the proper translation on the main page, like I'm doing in the case of the Koopalings. Do you have better approaches?

Sure, I like your approach for it!

Thanks to GBAToad for the complete bio translations:

Bright, cheerful, and everyone’s favourite person!
His twin brother, Luigi, is his closest friend, and together the two are a great pair.
An all-rounder in sports from tennis, baseball, soccer, to car-racing, he's stylishly good at anything!
In fact, long ago, Mario was also occasionally working as a plumber.
He loves Princess Peach, and if she's ever captured, he'll always go and save her.
But, Bowser always comes to impede him however.
If Mario has lots of power-ups and his amazing jump, he'll remain calm no matter what Bowser’s ill-intentions are!

Mario's twin brother!
He's a bit of a coward, but has a kind personality.
His weakness is none other than ghosts. But in reality, almost like his brother Mario, he possesses considerably true power.
Like Mario, it appears Luigi was also working as a plumber.
When the two of them, Mario and Luigi, are present, they have tremendous strength!
Luigi's trademarks are his green hat and green shirt.
In comparison to Mario, Luigi's only a little bit taller. But if you take a closer look, the shape of Luigi's mustache is also a little different however...did you already know that?

The princess of the Mushroom Kingdom!
There are often times where she is kidnapped by Bowser, who comes to attack the Mushroom Kingdom.
She's incredibly kindhearted, and is always hoping that everyone can live in happiness.
She loves making cakes and cooking, but is also surprisingly good at sports!
She's on very good terms with Mario, and is always relying on him.
Her pink dress is very lovely.
She's also paying attention to fashion, and appears to also own a summer dress and sports wear!

He disturbs the peace of the world, and is the [great demon] king of the Koopa Troop!
Mario and friends' eternal rival.
Accompanied by lots of underlings such as Koopas, Goombas, Bullet Bills, and Shy Guys, he attacks the Mushroom Kingdom!
Even though he decides to do evil things such as capturing Princess Peach, he's always failing, being held back by Mario and friends...
In regards to his son, Bowser Jr., Bowser spoils him a bit too much.
But, to Bowser Jr., Bowser is his strong and proud father.
He has superhuman strength, and his fire-breathing packs a real punch!

Mario’s childhood friend, and his biggest rival! (or that’s what he says). He’s energetic, and is the kind of person that doesn’t really worry about the little things. Even though he should be a good person at heart, he’s got a weakness for money, so he’ll try his absolute hardest to make money from anything!
He travels the world, searching for treasure as an adventurer, and he’s also the president of the company WarioWare Inc.!
By the way, his favourite food is Garlic! It seems he’s eagerly eating it every day. As a result, his stamina is outstanding!

Wario’s partner. An eccentric character who thinks Luigi is his rival. He has a smug, sly and rebellious personality. In order to build up strength to battle with Mario and Luigi, it seems he has (up until now) been working hard at a secluded location. Is he actually a nice, hardworking person!
Because his limbs are long, he can do very well in sports where he can use this to his advantage. However, because his posture is always bad, he doesn’t seem to look very strong…
By the way, even though Wario is often with [Waluigi], the two don't seem to be brothers!

He works by Peach's side, and lives in the Mushroom Kingdom.
There are a lot of similar characters like him, and Toads that have different colours such as blue and green! Everyone's very brave, and they can do any job!
They try their hardest to save Princess Peach from Bowser, who targets the Mushroom Kingdom, but it seems they fail every time...
At times, they help out Mario, and they occasionally travel together on an adventure!
There's also another similar Toad known as Captain Toad! He's got the shape of someone that looks like they like adventure very much!

The king of the jungle, and the Kong family's superstar!
He possesses a large body and extraordinary strength! He can also easily hurl massive barrels, and can smash the ground, causing huge tremors as a result!
But, he's usually easy-going, though maybe a bit absentminded.
By working together with his partner Diddy Kong, his grandpa Cranky Kong, and other similar friends, they punish anyone who disturbs the peace of the jungle.
Bananas are DK's greatest, most favourite food ever! He keeps lots of Bananas in his house all the time. If you try to take them, watch out, because he'll get awfully angry!

The princess of the country known as Sarasaland. She's super cheerful and energetic!
She might also have a bit of a tomboy streak.
Although she was once captured by a villain known as Tatanga, she was rescued by Mario then as well.
Her trademark characteristics are the flowers attached to her crown and earrings!
Even though she's a princess, she's really active! Whenever she's playing mixed sports with Mario and friends, she tries her absolute hardest not to lose!

A mysterious woman that travels the cosmos with the star children, Lumas.
She travels by riding the starship known as the Comet Observatory.
She acts as a mother for the various multicoloured Lumas as well.
Although she looks kind of stern, she's very kindhearted to the Lumas.
She possesses a mysterious power, and is always floating around.
When she rides a bike, she sports a stylish rider suit!

A ghost that loves mischief, and often appears from dark areas.
Even though it slowly tries to fly down and approach you from behind, it seems if you turn and face it directly, it becomes embarrassed and completely unable to move.
Maybe its name Teresa comes from the word Tereya-san (shy person)?
There are various Boos, among them there's even a large Boo that wears a crown!

Coming from Yoshi's Island, it's Mario's trusted companion!
Yoshi has a carefree and easygoing personality. Even though there's a shell on his back, Yoshi isn't a turtle, or a dinosaur, and in actual fact we don't know what Yoshi is!
Yoshi love eating things! With his long tongue, he can swallow fruits and enemies completely whole. However, anything Yoshi swallows can only be laid as an egg! But, as you'd expect, it seems he can't eat Thwomps or Bowser...
Aside from Green Yoshi, there's Yoshis of various colours, such as Red, Light Blue, and Pink!

A mischievous young male Kong with his trademark features of a red cap and red shirt!
He's Donkey Kong's trusted companion and close friend! They're always adventuring together, and Diddy's a reliable friend who helps assist Donkey Kong. It seems he also has a girlfriend named Dixie Kong.
Although he's small, he's nimble and his jumping strength is an excellent quality. He can also hang from things with his long tail.
In comparison to Donkey Kong, Diddy has quite the firm character. He can skillfully wield all kinds of items!

King Bowser's son. A naughty brat who loves mischief. He resembles Bowser when he was younger.
Although his body is still small, he's hiding the Bowser power he's inherited! In actual fact, Bowser Jr. may also be considerably smart! By riding a vehicle known as the 'Junior Clown Car', he's been a nuisance to Mario. If Bowser Jr. doesn't get what he wants, he won't settle down, it's one of the selfish traits he has.
The scarf with a picture of a large mouth drawn on it is his favourite. It's just a picture of his aspiring dad's mouth

YoshiKong said:
Thanks to GBAToad for the complete bio translations:

Bright, cheerful, and everyone’s favourite person!
His twin brother, Luigi, is his closest friend, and together the two are a great pair.
An all-rounder in sports from tennis, baseball, soccer, to car-racing, he's stylishly good at anything!
In fact, long ago, Mario was also occasionally working as a plumber.
He loves Princess Peach, and if she's ever captured, he'll always go and save her.
But, Bowser always comes to impede him however.
If Mario has lots of power-ups and his amazing jump, he'll remain calm no matter what Bowser’s ill-intentions are!

Mario's twin brother!
He's a bit of a coward, but has a kind personality.
His weakness is none other than ghosts. But in reality, almost like his brother Mario, he possesses considerably true power.
Like Mario, it appears Luigi was also working as a plumber.
When the two of them, Mario and Luigi, are present, they have tremendous strength!
Luigi's trademarks are his green hat and green shirt.
In comparison to Mario, Luigi's only a little bit taller. But if you take a closer look, the shape of Luigi's mustache is also a little different however...did you already know that?

The princess of the Mushroom Kingdom!
There are often times where she is kidnapped by Bowser, who comes to attack the Mushroom Kingdom.
She's incredibly kindhearted, and is always hoping that everyone can live in happiness.
She loves making cakes and cooking, but is also surprisingly good at sports!
She's on very good terms with Mario, and is always relying on him.
Her pink dress is very lovely.
She's also paying attention to fashion, and appears to also own a summer dress and sports wear!

He disturbs the peace of the world, and is the [great demon] king of the Koopa Troop!
Mario and friends' eternal rival.
Accompanied by lots of underlings such as Koopas, Goombas, Bullet Bills, and Shy Guys, he attacks the Mushroom Kingdom!
Even though he decides to do evil things such as capturing Princess Peach, he's always failing, being held back by Mario and friends...
In regards to his son, Bowser Jr., Bowser spoils him a bit too much.
But, to Bowser Jr., Bowser is his strong and proud father.
He has superhuman strength, and his fire-breathing packs a real punch!

Mario’s childhood friend, and his biggest rival! (or that’s what he says). He’s energetic, and is the kind of person that doesn’t really worry about the little things. Even though he should be a good person at heart, he’s got a weakness for money, so he’ll try his absolute hardest to make money from anything!
He travels the world, searching for treasure as an adventurer, and he’s also the president of the company WarioWare Inc.!
By the way, his favourite food is Garlic! It seems he’s eagerly eating it every day. As a result, his stamina is outstanding!

Wario’s partner. An eccentric character who thinks Luigi is his rival. He has a smug, sly and rebellious personality. In order to build up strength to battle with Mario and Luigi, it seems he has (up until now) been working hard at a secluded location. Is he actually a nice, hardworking person!
Because his limbs are long, he can do very well in sports where he can use this to his advantage. However, because his posture is always bad, he doesn’t seem to look very strong…
By the way, even though Wario is often with [Waluigi], the two don't seem to be brothers!

He works by Peach's side, and lives in the Mushroom Kingdom.
There are a lot of similar characters like him, and Toads that have different colours such as blue and green! Everyone's very brave, and they can do any job!
They try their hardest to save Princess Peach from Bowser, who targets the Mushroom Kingdom, but it seems they fail every time...
At times, they help out Mario, and they occasionally travel together on an adventure!
There's also another similar Toad known as Captain Toad! He's got the shape of someone that looks like they like adventure very much!

The king of the jungle, and the Kong family's superstar!
He possesses a large body and extraordinary strength! He can also easily hurl massive barrels, and can smash the ground, causing huge tremors as a result!
But, he's usually easy-going, though maybe a bit absentminded.
By working together with his partner Diddy Kong, his grandpa Cranky Kong, and other similar friends, they punish anyone who disturbs the peace of the jungle.
Bananas are DK's greatest, most favourite food ever! He keeps lots of Bananas in his house all the time. If you try to take them, watch out, because he'll get awfully angry!

The princess of the country known as Sarasaland. She's super cheerful and energetic!
She might also have a bit of a tomboy streak.
Although she was once captured by a villain known as Tatanga, she was rescued by Mario then as well.
Her trademark characteristics are the flowers attached to her crown and earrings!
Even though she's a princess, she's really active! Whenever she's playing mixed sports with Mario and friends, she tries her absolute hardest not to lose!

A mysterious woman that travels the cosmos with the star children, Lumas.
She travels by riding the starship known as the Comet Observatory.
She acts as a mother for the various multicoloured Lumas as well.
Although she looks kind of stern, she's very kindhearted to the Lumas.
She possesses a mysterious power, and is always floating around.
When she rides a bike, she sports a stylish rider suit!

A ghost that loves mischief, and often appears from dark areas.
Even though it slowly tries to fly down and approach you from behind, it seems if you turn and face it directly, it becomes embarrassed and completely unable to move.
Maybe its name Teresa comes from the word Tereya-san (shy person)?
There are various Boos, among them there's even a large Boo that wears a crown!

Coming from Yoshi's Island, it's Mario's trusted companion!
Yoshi has a carefree and easygoing personality. Even though there's a shell on his back, Yoshi isn't a turtle, or a dinosaur, and in actual fact we don't know what Yoshi is!
Yoshi love eating things! With his long tongue, he can swallow fruits and enemies completely whole. However, anything Yoshi swallows can only be laid as an egg! But, as you'd expect, it seems he can't eat Thwomps or Bowser...
Aside from Green Yoshi, there's Yoshis of various colours, such as Red, Light Blue, and Pink!

A mischievous young male Kong with his trademark features of a red cap and red shirt!
He's Donkey Kong's trusted companion and close friend! They're always adventuring together, and Diddy's a reliable friend who helps assist Donkey Kong. It seems he also has a girlfriend named Dixie Kong.
Although he's small, he's nimble and his jumping strength is an excellent quality. He can also hang from things with his long tail.
In comparison to Donkey Kong, Diddy has quite the firm character. He can skillfully wield all kinds of items!

King Bowser's son. A naughty brat who loves mischief. He resembles Bowser when he was younger.
Although his body is still small, he's hiding the Bowser power he's inherited! In actual fact, Bowser Jr. may also be considerably smart! By riding a vehicle known as the 'Junior Clown Car', he's been a nuisance to Mario. If Bowser Jr. doesn't get what he wants, he won't settle down, it's one of the selfish traits he has.
The scarf with a picture of a large mouth drawn on it is his favourite. It's just a picture of his aspiring dad's mouth

Can we send a truck of likes to GBAToad? It's not the first time we receive an exceptional help!

This being said, there is actually something interesting being said here:

• Two retcons: Waluigi doesn't seem to be Wario's brother and, most importantly, the confirmation that Yoshi is not a dinosaur; at this point the smartest thing to do now, like in the case of the Koopalings, might be trying to find if there are indeed Japanese sources that used to state the opposite
  • I'm seriously surprised that they mentioned that Mario and Luigi were once plumbers; apart that now we don't know anymore what their job is supposed to be (are Bowser's attacks that frequent?) I thought that at this point this aspect of Mario and Luigi was retconned as well (well, it is, but only in part!)
  • Similarly, Tatanga is mentioned as well; is there still hope for him?
  • And oh, Wario is still Mario's childhood friend (but really, do childhood friends typically try to kill each other in the Mario universe?)
  • Ok, maybe a Toad character exists, after all...
  • It's funny how King Boo is mentioned in a way that all his depictions are appropriate
  • Oh, we finally know that Bowser Jr.'s bandanna depicts his father's mouth! I wonder if Nabbit stole his one from Bowser Jr. too...

Yep, but we still treat official recolors as separate artworks. Such as all the Yoshi icons for Mario Tennis Open here, or the second and third artwork at Gallery:Bowser. These are all indeed recolors, but they were officially released as separate images.

• Mister Wu said:
    • Two retcons: Waluigi doesn't seem to be Wario's brother and, most importantly, the confirmation that Yoshi is not a dinosaur; at this point the smartest thing to do now, like in the case of the Koopalings, might be trying to find if there are indeed Japanese sources that used to state the opposite
    • I'm seriously surprised that they mentioned that Mario and Luigi were once plumbers; apart that now we don't know anymore what their job is supposed to be (are Bowser's attacks that frequent?) I thought that at this point this aspect of Mario and Luigi was retconned as well (well, it is, but only in part!)
    • Similarly, Tatanga is mentioned as well; is there still hope for him?
    • And oh, Wario is still Mario's childhood friend (but really, do childhood friends typically try to kill each other in the Mario universe?)
    • Ok, maybe a Toad character exists, after all...
    • It's funny how King Boo is mentioned in a way that all his depictions are appropriate
    • Oh, we finally know that Bowser Jr.'s bandanna depicts his father's mouth! I wonder if Nabbit stole his one from Bowser Jr. too...

Yoshi's signature in SMW was "Super Dragon Yoshi", wasn't it?

Are we sure the Toad bio says "he"'s a servant of Peach? Isn't it rather saying "they" are servants of Peach?

The Yoshi bio mentions "Yoshi Island" (as in, the one in SMW2, Mario Golf 64 and YIDS, not the one in SMW and SMRPG). Just a little detail.

The DK bio doesn't mention the Mario vs DK series. Why does it never get any attention from Nintendo anyway?

Mister Wu said:
Maybe we shouldn't charge ahead with that just yet: Yoshis were being called dinosaurs as the 1993 Nintendo Character Guide (List_of_Yoshi_profiles_and_statistics#Nintendo_Character_Guide_.281993.29) and as late as a bio for the 2009 New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and those are among a collection of other examples. If you want in-game sources, the trophy descriptions in Super Smash Bros. Melee (List_of_Yoshi_profiles_and_statistics#Super_Smash_Bros._Melee) and Mario Party DS (List_of_Yoshi_profiles_and_statistics#Mario_Party_DS) both refer to him as a dino. I think it's less a retcon and more a lack of communication between Nintendo staff.

At this point, should we directly put the translations on the wiki or it's still better to put them in the talk pages and discuss them individually?

Time Turner said:
Mister Wu said:
Maybe we shouldn't charge ahead with that just yet: Yoshis were being called dinosaurs as the 1993 Nintendo Character Guide (List_of_Yoshi_profiles_and_statistics#Nintendo_Character_Guide_.281993.29) and as late as a bio for the 2009 New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and those are among a collection of other examples. If you want in-game sources, the trophy descriptions in Super Smash Bros. Melee (List_of_Yoshi_profiles_and_statistics#Super_Smash_Bros._Melee) and Mario Party DS (List_of_Yoshi_profiles_and_statistics#Mario_Party_DS) both refer to him as a dino. I think it's less a retcon and more a lack of communication between Nintendo staff.
Add to those the European site for Super Mario Advance 2 (that was recently released on Wii U Virtual Console) and the North American site for Super Mario World on 3DS. I too tend to agree with you on the matter.
My point, though, is this: was this a Japanese thing, too? If not, we shouldn't worry about those Japanese and European sentences suggesting he's not a dinosaur, it's just Nintendo being awful with character management. But if he was, and the Japanese bio, along with the European one, starts confirming that this is not a case, we might have to at least add a single line on the wiki stating that currently bios from Nintendo don't consider him a dinosaur, much like we did with the Koopalings - and we had material from NOE released or at least revised in 2016 that states they are Bowser's children.

2257 said:
YoshiKong said:
Even though there's a shell on his back, Yoshi isn't a turtle, or a dinosaur, and in actual fact we don't know what Yoshi is!

i feel like a little shit saying things like this, but i dont see where "背中にコウラがあるけど、カメなのか、恐竜なのか、実はわかっていないんだって。" says that he's not a turtle or a dinosaur
I'm sorry for the delay in addressing this!

GBAToad said:
upon second glance, he's right, it doesn't explicitly say he's not either of those things so sorry for the confusion.

if i were to translate it again i'd probably say "Even though there's a shell on his back, we actually don't know whether Yoshi's a dinosaur or a turtle!"
I've added the revised translation to the List of Yoshi profiles and statistics page, following the format that Mister Wu used for Bowser Jr.'s page.

YoshiKong said:
2257 said:
YoshiKong said:
Even though there's a shell on his back, Yoshi isn't a turtle, or a dinosaur, and in actual fact we don't know what Yoshi is!

i feel like a little *bleep* saying things like this, but i dont see where "背中にコウラがあるけど、カメなのか、恐竜なのか、実はわかっていないんだって。" says that he's not a turtle or a dinosaur
I'm sorry for the delay in addressing this!

GBAToad said:
upon second glance, he's right, it doesn't explicitly say he's not either of those things so sorry for the confusion.

if i were to translate it again i'd probably say "Even though there's a shell on his back, we actually don't know whether Yoshi's a dinosaur or a turtle!"
I've added the revised translation to the List of Yoshi profiles and statistics page, following the format that Mister Wu used for Bowser Jr.'s page.
Sorry that I didn't do anything as for now, except for Bowser Jr., because the trivia that his bandana depicts the mouth of Bowser was on the main page and thus it was mandatory to add his profile that was the source for that trivia. If you want, I can slowly start adding the translations to the various profile pages. Don't expect me to be very fast, but I can do it.

No worries! We could even split the work, if that makes things easier for you. It wasn't too much of a hassle for me to copy/paste the Katakana and add the English text below it.

Games journalism just recently discovered the "Mario worked as a plumber" tidbit and is now exploding. We even got a GameFAQs poll over it. What to make of it? Honestly, I don't buy it, or I think the story isn't as world-breaking as the reporting is making it out to be. Can anyone provide some better information of the nature of the translations?

ping 2257 or GBAToad oh wait we don't have a ping feature.

Back