Author Topic: Suggestions for next year  (Read 3151 times)

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
Suggestions for next year
« on: August 12, 2016, 09:40:47 PM »
In a continuous effort to improve, please tell us things that could be changed, or new ideas, new awards, nominees, what worked, what didn't work, anything, we will look over everything posted in here.

I'll lob some thoughts and ideas in here eventually.

Nabber

• Mushroom Attendant
  • nabber
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for next year
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 09:43:24 PM »
let's just give all the awards to edo and meta knight

Lord Bowser

• Super High School Level Bowser
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • "It's funny because we're all living in a simulation and free will is a lie."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 09:44:32 PM »
best smiley

maybe best quotes from the rpgs?

(credit to TPG)

(credit to Mr. Edo)

Rintarou Okabe

• his smile and optimism = gone
  • Donkey Kong
  • freakworld
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 10:04:36 PM »
ban me from making presentations

The Stanley Parable Adventure Line™

• Mushroom Attendant
  • Kingbowser99
  • BA DA DA DUM BA DA DUM BA DA DA DUM BA DA DA DUM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 10:07:10 PM »
that's a big no-no

cause you did really well

Rintarou Okabe

• his smile and optimism = gone
  • Donkey Kong
  • freakworld
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 10:14:05 PM »
that's a big no-no

cause you did really well

it would aid my sanity though

Chihaya Kisaragi

• King Bowser
  • Snack
  • Bluebird; Even If Happiness Is Close By...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 10:38:26 PM »
I could post A7 again

NEXandGBX

• Honoka’s #1 Fan
  • Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 10:51:26 PM »
I'm not sure if U7 will be relevant anymore by the time Mario Awards XI comes around so maybe come up with an alternative award in case it's not.

Rest in peace, Walkazo.

Chiaki Nanami

• Super High School Level Gamer
  • #mwchat Operator
  • Star Spirit
  • RandomYoshi
  • Sweden? More like Memeden.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 01:09:49 AM »
Limit the amount of people in the AC. We had a bunch of people doing literally nothing. If you want to be part of the AC, you need to do stuff.

Arataka Reigen

• The Greatest Psychic of the 21st Century
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • 100% Legit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 01:25:41 AM »
best smiley

maybe best quotes from the rpgs?

That wouldn't really work. For the polls you have to be able to narrow down the options to like, around 15. There is just too many quotes for us to be able to do that efficiently and without extreme bias.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 04:19:25 AM »
Limit the amount of people in the AC. We had a bunch of people doing literally nothing. If you want to be part of the AC, you need to do stuff.

re: this, one of my suggestions was going to be (and now is as I'm posting it) to create an actual application process for joining the Awards Committee and limiting the numbers of people who get in, all while enforcing activity.  This won't be super strict, but I'm imagining it as being more strict than it has been.

And with that, dare I suggest, renewing the ralph-era tradition of requiring Awards Committee members to do at least 1 presentation.  When we have 2 people doing 1/4 of the total presentations within the final few days of the work period because no one is willing to sign up or are dropping out, we either need to get more people to sign up for more or we need to downsize the entire awards process, starting with cutting a significant number of awards.

While this year has been mostly stress-free, it's impossible for us (me, edo, 22, turb, pidgey) not to notice that like 70% of the effort this year has been prodding people to do pretty much any and everything.  When I have to exert a tremendous amount more energy to get people to participate in the AC process or presentations than I do actually managing the events, why do we even bother with the AC and presentations to begin with?  There's been serious talks of cutting a huge number of things because of a perception of a lack in interest, but brainstorming reasons as to why has convinced myself that there were many factors at play this year that have nothing to do with a lack of interest in the awards project.  It's easy to get cynical and write it off as "no one cares, let's just ends this on a good year" which I'm gonna be honest and say I was seriously considering, but it's more fruitful to tackle the minor causes that are wholly preventable or explainable than to give up.

We cannot maintain such an enormous undertaking with the willpower of a handful of people.  This shouldn't be like herding cattle.  The Awards Ceremony doesn't just poof into existence, it takes work, it takes time, it takes energy, it takes dedication, but most of all it takes cooperation and group effort.  It's a tough balance maintaining morale and keeping people happy, and tightening the reins and whipping things into shape.  This year, with the unfortunate passing of Walkazo, morale took quite a hit and I saw the direct impact on that for awards.  A lot of people who would always snag a presentation or two went quiet, which is ok as they may need time or may have moved on.

With that, as for a thing we can actively tackle rather than wait for the healing process to work its magic, a big one I've seen a lot of people comment about is that they didn't want to sign up for presentations because they felt that they would suck compared to everyone else.  I'm not going to tell people to make worse presentations, but what I can say is to not be discouraged by solely comparing yourself to other people who have been working on their craft for years.  Everyone starts somewhere, and with practice makes perfect.  If you never try, you will never succeed.

I do have faith in next year, and really enjoy seeing the fruits of our labor and everyone come together and take part, but we need more participation in the creation of it.

Wii can do it, guys!

Gamefreak75

• Global Moderator
  • Power Star
  • "The hated boss who beats you down..."
    • View Profile
    • Kirby Wikia
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 04:27:35 AM »
More Miitomo presentations.

On a serious note, I'm fine with making an application for being on the committee. It's not like you have to be on he AC to go to meetings anyways, you just won't get access to the board..........and other places.  :bowser:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 04:30:52 AM by Oboro »

Lord Bowser

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 04:31:24 AM »
I woulda done favorite partner developer but I misunderstood the "partner" part and thought it referred to the RPG partners, otherwise I woulda signed up

so sorry for inadvertently adding onto MK's load this year :/

I'm planning to apply next year and will hopefully churn out some presentations ^^

(credit to TPG)

(credit to Mr. Edo)

Arataka Reigen

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • 100% Legit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 04:40:09 AM »
Out of curiosity: What did you think of the "developer" part of that title?

Lord Bowser

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 04:42:03 AM »
I thought it might've been the creators of the partners themselves or something. I dunno it was really dumb of me in retrospect lol

(credit to TPG)

(credit to Mr. Edo)

GalacticPetey

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 06:42:20 AM »
Hold the awards when I'm actually in town.

In all seriousness, as great a job as Edo and Meta Knight did, they seemed overworked. The idea of having the awards committee members doing at least one presentation sounds good.

Chiaki Nanami

• Super High School Level Gamer
  • #mwchat Operator
  • Star Spirit
  • RandomYoshi
  • Sweden? More like Memeden.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 12:45:23 PM »
I thought it might've been the creators of the partners themselves or something. I dunno it was really dumb of me in retrospect lol
It is really dumb, because one single look at the nominees would have told you otherwise, unless you literally don't even vote in the polls.

Ritsuko Akizuki

• also known as Blocky
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Superchao
  • give it up for loud noises
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 01:48:49 PM »
i support a limiting of the AC so that people are active contributors to the process this time around

Arataka Reigen

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • 100% Legit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 03:05:14 PM »
It is really dumb, because one single look at the nominees would have told you otherwise, unless you literally don't even vote in the polls.

Let's not publicly shame people over this. We all kinda make stupid mistakes like that every once in a while.

Lord Bowser

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 03:17:33 PM »
not even going to bother responding to pi

and thanks edo for understanding. I'll make up for this next year

(credit to TPG)

(credit to Mr. Edo)