Author Topic: OFFICIAL USER AWARDS IX CEREMONY  (Read 7017 times)

Chiaki Nanami

• Super High School Level Gamer
  • #mwchat Operator
  • Star Spirit
  • RandomYoshi
  • Sweden? More like Memeden.
    • View Profile
Re: OFFICIAL USER AWARDS IX CEREMONY
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2016, 03:38:11 PM »
I STILL DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW I GOT THIRD IN U9. MY EDITS ARE COMPLETELY BLASÉ AND EASY TO MAKE, MY EXPLANATIONS SUCK AND MY EDIT SUMMARIES ARE TERRIBLE. WHAT THE *bleep*.

The Stanley Parable Adventure Line™

• Mushroom Attendant
  • Kingbowser99
  • BA DA DA DUM BA DA DUM BA DA DA DUM BA DA DA DUM
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2016, 03:38:16 PM »
>tfw no love for neptune this year

fantastic presentations, everybody

Rintarou Okabe

• his smile and optimism = gone
  • Donkey Kong
  • freakworld
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2016, 03:38:49 PM »
unreal presentation edo!

Azusa Miura

• Wiki Administrator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Turboo
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2016, 03:39:11 PM »
I'm gonna post here for the record and say that bsg mafia art is the best thing

even if i already posted this in irc

Kazooie

• Red-crested Breegull
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "That's nice."
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2016, 03:43:38 PM »
Posting on behalf of NEXandGBX

results table design (c) pidgey 2015, probably

The Pyro Guy is up next with U5 - Favorite Artist!

"To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation."
 --G. C. Lichtenberg

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2016, 03:45:10 PM »
beautiful cameo

• Mushroom Attendant
  • Kingbowser99
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2016, 03:45:14 PM »
rip nex

"he forgot to post"

Kazooie

• Red-crested Breegull
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "That's nice."
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2016, 03:45:27 PM »
Posting on behalf of The Pyro Guy

How about presenting the top 3 artists through a series of pictures?

Spoiler: 3rd place (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 2nd place (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 1st place (click to show/hide)

Tabuu is up next with U10 - Outstanding Community Achievement Award!

--G. C. Lichtenberg

BEEEEEAAARRRS

• 658 pieces
  • Power Star
  • Toadbert101
  • how about a rousing game of pool
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2016, 03:47:11 PM »
I can lose on every other artistic award but a story I wrote three years ago is going to keep raking in the gold for me

Kazooie

• Red-crested Breegull
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "That's nice."
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2016, 03:49:41 PM »
I can lose on every other artistic award but a story I wrote three years ago is going to keep raking in the gold for me

...It's a very good story?

--G. C. Lichtenberg

Contra(dictory)

• I write and play TF2
  • Dry Bowser
  • Tabuuownsall132x2
  • also I hang out here, I guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2016, 03:50:30 PM »
In honor of the winner of the Outstanding Community Achievement award, this presentation will be done in a format I know she liked: storytelling.

A man older than the ancient street he walked on sighed.

He always hated the rain, especially when it hit older cities so hard- everything turned muggy and foggy and gray. This man, despite his age, didn’t look the part. In fact, for the most part, he looked quite a lot like any other young adult male, the only real distinguishing feature he seemed to have were tightly-wrapped bandages around his eyes. To most, this would give the appearance that he was blind, but his other senses more than made up for any visual shortcomings and his actual vision was greatly impaired in conditions of bright light, so he simply preferred to keep his eyes concealed.

It was a tragedy, in some ways. His sensory deprivation meant that he’d never truly taken in the beauty of bright, radiant colors, the beauty of a meadow on a bright summer day, and even the glistening intimacy that we find in the eyes of other people. At least not in this lifetime. For someone so old, his view of the world was shockingly narrow, as dim and dark as his condition made it out to be.

On this day, he was a man on a mission: to scout out a local pub for the one they called ‘Walkazo’.

After thirty minutes in the rain, he found the place he was looking for: a lonely hole-in-the-wall restaurant/pub the locals called Mesmerize. It was run by a tall, lean, redheaded man with a strange penchant for spiral-shaped glasses- they called him Anton. Our mercenary scanned the bar’s occupants carefully, searching for but not finding his mark. He sighed in exasperation and sat at the bar to the right side of one some called Stooben and a rarer few called Patrick.

Stooben had a tall, full glass of beer on the surface of the bar in front of him, but his tired blue eyes merely stared at it. The blonde was clearly lost in thought, so our mercenary didn’t immediately try to get his attention. Instead, he silently indicated to Anton, the bartender, what he wanted from his diverse menu of alcohols and drinks. The holiday season was nearing, so he opted for rum-infused eggnog: an old favorite of his.

The drink was set in front of him very quickly. Despite the fact that he didn’t use his eyes to see at all, the mercenary’s head was turned toward the transfixed Stooben, silently waiting for him to exit his mesmerized state while the mercenary raised his glass to his lips and sipped.

Delicious.

After a few minutes of this, he coughed, and Stooben jumped back into reality. “Oh!” Patrick exclaimed, “I’m so sorry! What do you need?”

The mercenary knew that Stooben was close friends with his mark, yet decided to be upfront. “I’m looking for a friend of yours,” he said, “Walkazo. I have a package to deliver to her.”

Stooben sighed. “We were supposed to meet today,” he said sadly, “But I was late again. This time by two hours. Right now, she could be anywhere- she could be working at the Database Building, she could be out looking for birds, she could be writing at hom-”

“I get it.” The mercenary interrupted, “Your friend is busy. We all are.”

“What’s your name?” Stooben asked.

The mercenary paused. It felt like it’d been a lifetime since he’d been asked that question- as his usual business wasn’t much in the ways of exchanging pleasantries- and it had been even longer since he’d been inclined to lie. “Contra,” he said, knowing that he’d be recognized if he used his actual name, “Just call me Contra.”

He’d met all these people before. In another life. In so many different iterations of this old story he’d lost count. This time, he was a stranger to them, and he was okay with that.

Stooben bit his lip. “You look a little familiar, but I can’t say I’ve heard that one before.”

Contra chuckled. “Not many people have. Can you finish my delivery for me?”

Stooben twisted in his bar stool and held out his right hand. From seemingly nowhere, Contra pulled out a rectangular, wrapped package about the size of a shoebox, and placed it in Stooben’s waiting hand.

“What is this?” Stooben asked.

“It’s a gift,” Contra stated, “From my employer to her. It wouldn’t make a lot of sense to you, I don’t think.”

“Am I delivering something illegal?” Stooben squinted suspiciously, “Am I delivering a bomb?”

Contra laughed. “No. God, no. It’s...it’s a gift from an old friend. There’s a letter or two in there. A few personal items. Nothing to concern yourself about.”

“Why is this friend delivering it to her now? Are they from around here?”

Contra winced. “Sort of. It’s a little complicated, but she’d understand it. She’s always had a penchant for figuring things out, you know?”

“Yeah.” Stooben agreed. He paused. “Wait, do you know her?”

“Not- not here, I don’t.”

“What does that even mean?”

Contra bit his tongue. Hi, Stooben, I’m your best friend in three different universes before this one, even though you’ve never met me here before. Also, in this package are things from those universes. This all makes complete sense and I’m not crazy at all.

“It’s-” he sighed, “It’s a little complicated.”

“Take off your bandages.” Patrick said, suddenly.

“I can’t do that.”

“Yeah, you can.” Patrick said, biting his bottom lip, “I know you. I need to see your eyes.”

Contra obliged, moving his hands to his bandages and slowly unravelling him. As they fell off his face, Stooben gave a light gasp, though he wasn’t sure why, and Contra held his eyes firmly shut.

“Is that...is that you?”

The mercenary lied, shook his head. Not here. Not like this.

Look at me!” Stooben demanded.

Contra opened his eyes slowly. Despite the low-light conditions of the bar, he was momentarily blinded by the intensity of it all. It took a full minute of staring ahead and blinking before he could make out the face of his old best friend before him, who looked pained and on the verge of tears.

“You’re him.” Stooben said, “You’re him. I remember you sometimes. I’ve dreamed of you. You’re...I don’t know your name, but you’re him.”

“That’s me.” Contra said, weakly. “Where I’m from, it’s...it’s too late to give all of this to her. All the things we left unsaid. All the things we didn’t do.”

Stooben gulped. “Do you mean...?”

“You know what I mean.” Contra said, “But it doesn’t matter. Not here, it doesn’t. She’ll always live here. Just like you. Just like me.”

Stooben paused. “What did she mean to you, back then?”

“She gave me the skills I needed to take control of my life.” Contra said, “I’m...not doing the best job this time. Not since she left.”

“Well, you’re here now, right?” Stooben said, leaning forward and grabbing the other man’s hand, “You’re here now, and that’s what matters. And you don’t need to be alone.”

Contra sighed. “I do. At least for a little while. Will you get this to her for me?”

“I will.” Patrick promised. “Anything else?”

“Spend all the time you can with people.” Contra said, standing and starting to move from the bar, “You never know when they’ll enter your life and you never know when they’ll leave. Make sure everyone knows what they mean to you. Make sure that they know they aren’t alone.”

“What about you, then?” Patrick asked, “What are you going to do?”

Contra stared at the bandages in his hands with his own two eyes, pondering whether he wanted to put them back on, which was easy, or to tackle the difficulty of learning to see again.

“I don’t know yet,” he said, truthfully, “But I think you’ve given me an idea.”

Walkazo came in first place for Outstanding Community Achievement. Nobody here is ever going to forget that, and the contributions she's left behind in all of her walks of life will never die. Thank you, Walkazo, and thank you for reading this.

Anton will be concluding User Awards IX with a closing remark next.

BEEEEEAAARRRS

• 658 pieces
  • Power Star
  • Toadbert101
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2016, 03:51:43 PM »
...It's a very good story?

well, I'm still glad everyone thinks so

Lord Bowser

• Super High School Level Bowser
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • "It's funny because we're all living in a simulation and free will is a lie."
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2016, 03:52:12 PM »
very nice story contra

(credit to TPG)

(credit to Mr. Edo)

Rintarou Okabe

• his smile and optimism = gone
  • Donkey Kong
  • freakworld
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2016, 03:52:35 PM »
great story contra!

NSY

• Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2016, 03:52:41 PM »
heartwarming and wonderful, thanks tabuu
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 04:01:01 PM by NSY »
Rest in Peace Walkazo, forever will be missed

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2016, 03:55:18 PM »
Congratulations to all of the winners for...winning!  And to all of the nominees for being nominated, and our presenters for presenting, and for the friends we made along the way~.

I’m proud of how smoothly this year went, and hopefully will continue to go as I pre-write this closing script a couple days before the actual implementation of the ceremony!  HELLO FUTURE-ANTON, I HOPE YOU’RE ENJOYING THOSE CHOCOLATE SNACK PIES I BOUGHT FOR YOU!!!

Thank you for attending User Awards IX!

That’s it for the UP Awards! In ten minutes, ‘Shroom Awards VII will begin with the introduction from the Host, Pidgey. In fifteen minutes, Pidgey will post up the first ‘Shroom Awards presentation: S1 - Favorite Director.

Nabber

• Mushroom Attendant
  • nabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2016, 03:55:25 PM »
Tabuu, that was a fantastic, moving story. Thank you for that.

BEEEEEAAARRRS

• 658 pieces
  • Power Star
  • Toadbert101
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2016, 03:57:14 PM »
congrats to the winners, and the writers too because there was a lot of nice tributes to read here

congrats to cylons for killing me

• Mushroom Attendant
  • Kingbowser99
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2016, 03:57:54 PM »
Good User Awards Ceremony this year, guys! Here's hoping next year is just as good!

and here's hoping i win some awards next year, too

Noisemaster

• It's ya boy ERNEST CLINE comin' up on you DEAD from READY PLAYER ONE!
  • Global Moderator
  • Celestial Guide
  • MrConcreteDonkey
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2016, 04:01:35 PM »
congrats to everyone who presented, and everyone who won. a lot of great tributes to walkazo too.