Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Hobbes

Tucayo
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
MarioWiki
Henry Tucayo Clay
Discuss the 2016 Olympic Games.

I preferred London's opening ceremony but this one was not bad, just ridiculously long as they always are.

cw09_1_English-Gentleman-Drinking-Tea.jpg

Are the Olympics on again? I hadn't noticed. We did such a top job of it last time, I thought we wouldn't need to hold another one.

...It's in Rio?! I've never heard of that place. Is it a London Borough by any chance?

...It's in Brazil?! Well what's it doing over there?! Ridiculous poppycock, won't be going for that one, old chap.

in all seriousness though, hope brazil has fun hosting this year, call me a nationalist, but i'm honestly not as interested as i was with the 2012 olympics :P

Highlights from the opening ceremony.

*all pictures in spoilers due to quantity.

Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce's hair

shellyhair-640x3581.jpg

tumblr_obgw1fAXUl1qjoebio1_500.jpg

tumblr_obgx06hysv1qgiss7o1_500.jpg

The Creepy Triplets from Estonia (I'm kidding, they are great.)

tumblr_obgyb0Pq8j1rsaszno1_500.jpg

57869FB6987A99EB63FDBEC05A5CAC29A696920CF2353BF77AF78378600F3517.jpg

Team Refuge!

TEAM REFUGE!

tumblr_obgvqoXoUp1sna7bvo2_500.png

tumblr_obgvqoXoUp1sna7bvo1_500.jpg

FIJI AND TONGA

tumblr_obgvd9NiTb1ql413zo1_500.jpg

tumblr_obh02yIx8U1raox22o1_500.jpg

Iran's first women flag bearer and the first athlete to compete in the Olympics AND Paralympics in 20 years.

tumblr_obgy7ctUjO1tjb5xlo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mn3tbuWOC21qfthwao3_500.jpg

And finally. The most important.

TEAM USA!

tumblr_obgvcd9HZz1vc82kmo1_500.jpg

*except this one, because: AMURICA, FUCK YEAH!

U!S!A!U!S!A!U!S!A!U!S!A!U!S!A! U!S!A! U!S!A!U!S!A!U!S!A!U!S!A!U!S!A!U!S!A!U!S!A!U!S!A!U!S!A!

ihtemzl---imgur1.gif

tumblr_obgwo58ERN1v63cmbo1_500.jpg

tumblr_obgvhys7yR1qjvd0ko2_500.jpg

tumblr_obgvhys7yR1qjvd0ko4_500.jpg

tumblr_obgvhys7yR1qjvd0ko8_500.jpg

tumblr_obgwmf2KcG1vc82kmo1_500.jpg

Highlights from the 2016 Olympics.

friendly reminder katie ledecky won 400m freestyle by a full 5 seconds ahead of everyone else, beating the world record by a full body length finishing 2 seconds ahead of the time set by herself.

1470625321209.jpg

189441.gif

Katie+Ledecky+Swimming+15th+FINA+World+Championships+20BLlHF4WHol.jpg

ct-ledecky-swim-world-record-again-20150804

the swimmer from great britain, adam peaty finished a full body length ahead of the other racers in 100m breaststroke, breaking his own world record set yesterday! usa swimmer cody miller finished with a bronze in the same race, but set a record for usa mens swimmers. the two celebrated together during the win.

adam-peaty-large_trans++qVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

Swimming+Olympics+Day+2+4PdNcjW2usWl.jpg

xIbqRDD.jpg

LKi0X21.jpg

USA's gymnastics team finished a FULL TEN POINTS ahead of china and russia, 9.95 and 10.62 respectively.

Simone Biles and Aly Raisman qualified for team usa for the all around competition.

gabby douglas, defending all-around gold medalist from usa, finished 3rd among all gymnasts during the team qualifiers, but will not represent team usa in the all-around finals due to the two athlete per country rule.

simone and aly, having finished 1 and 2 overall in the team comp qualifiers, will be defending usa's gold in the individual all-around comp this year in gabby's place. all five of team usa's gymnasts will participate in the team competition.

GettyImages-587130250-620x401.jpg

WomensGymnastics_080716_800x375.jpg

RIOEC871M7XT3_1536x864.JPG

RIOEC871O8L7F_1536x864.JPG

RIOEC871PMUCZ_1536x864.JPG

The swimmer from hungary, katinka hosszu, broke the world record for 400 meter womens medley by 2 seconds, winning gold. The previous record was set by ye shiwen of china in london. american maya dirado finished with a silver, trailing katinka by a full 5 seconds.

636061622474303604-USP-OLYMPICS-SWIMMING-EVENING-SESSION-83882418.JPG

michael phelps won his 19th medal and his 1st of the 2016 olympics with the help from caeleb dressel, ryan held, and nathan adrian in the mens 4 x 100 meter freestyle relay. it was ryan held's and caeleb dressel's first gold olympic medals, and nathan adrians 4th.

2008-400-free-relay-700x500.jpg

hbMUhf3.jpg

virgina thrasher won the first gold medal of the games for team usa on day one in the 10m air rifle competition, surprising everyone with an underdog win. virgina was not one of the favorites entering the competition, but came out on top leading the pack through the final round.

thrasher_ginny_080616_800x450.jpg

in womens olympic road race (cycling) mara abbott of the usa made a huge individual effort to lead the second pack back to catch the lead riders. abbott was a full minute behind the leadering pack. abbott went on to hold 2nd place behind netherlands rider ammemiek van vleuten, until van vleuten took a curb too tight and crashed head first into the curbs during the final descent of the race. mara abbott would go on to hold the lead for the majority of the last leg of the race.

but it was anna van der breggen of the netherlands who shocked mara abbott, moving from 4th to first all within sight of the finish line. mara abbott would finish in 4th behind sweden and italy, visibly out of gas and unable to prevent her trailers from passing her.

image.jpg

GettyImages-587122974.jpg

Australia won 3 golds. catherine skinner in womens trap, mack horton in mens 400m freestyle, and set a new world record in womens 4 x 100m free style relay.

emma mckeon, brittany elmslie, bronte campbell, and holder of the 100m freestyle world record cate campbell topped the american silver medalist squad by a full body length. simone manuel, abbey weitzel, dana vollmer and katie ledecky finished 2nd for the silver. canada picked up their first medal of the olympics, finishing with bronze.

the-australia-womens-4-x-100m-freestyle-relay-team-of-emily-seebohm-picture-id527371690

image.jpg

relay-bronze.jpg

It's only a matter of time before Nintendo try to sue the ceremony for his appearance.

It's a shame that Malaysia lost to China once again, which also happened during the London Olympic Games back in 2012.

On the bright side, I am loving the closing ceremony because it features Mario and Doraemon interacting with each other! It's a dream come true since I love Mario and Doraemon.

bb0.gif

Thanks for reading.

So just to clarify

Japan's 5 minutes spotlight time were used to highlight japanese culture and their best inventions, to shape the opinion of their country on a global scale

so basically they showed sports, animes, hello kitty, and video games.

An interesting trend last year was coming up with replacement logos for Tokyo's Olympic Games, and this is my favourite:

tokyo-olympic-logo-parody-hello-kitty-pokemon-mario.png

Everyone here should have already known about Mario and Pikachu (which Nintendo fan doesn't?), and to a lesser extent Hello Kitty and Doraemon (the blue one). The green one is probably the oddest choice for a foreigner because this is a Japanese-centric character that is unknown outside Japan, a lot more so than Doraemon. Had to look it up, and it's Gachapin, a dinosaur. Of course, Mario's the only human in this group.

It's very interesting in retrospect mainly because 3 out of the 5 characters appeared in the closing ceremony, though it could very well be Pikachu appearing too if that can be done. It's doubtful that Gachapin would appear since he's not well-known worldwide, unlike the other four.

Thanks for reading.

im so excited for the mario and sonic at the tokyo 2020 olympics irl

Back