Shakespeare

GalacticPetey

Donkey Kong
I'm not sure how much of a response this will get on these boards, but I figured, why not? Let's talk about Shakespeare! Whether on your own, or forced to in English class, you've probably been exposed to his writing. I don't know about you, but I always enjoyed them, even in English class. The witty writing and beautiful poetry always stuck out to me. I took an entire class on him my Junior year and it was a great class.

I've read or seen the following in some form or another:

A Midsummer Night's Dream
Romeo and Juliet
Hamlet
Macbeth
The Tempest
The Taming of the Shrew
The Merchant of Venice
Richard III
Twelfth Night
Measure for Measure
Pericles
Much Ado about Nothing
Othello

Of these, I've enjoyed Macbeth the most. It's such a great story. I definitely need to get around to reading King Lear and Julius Caesar.

This might be a little "high brow" for some, but I figured it could be interesting. As a side note, I've always wanted to perform in Shakespeare. I'd love to play a character like Mercutio or more villainous characters like Macbeth or Richard. Great challenges for an actor, but oh so rewarding. My school has done Shakespeare in the past but not while I've been in High School. I was hoping we would do some this year for my senior year, but alas. At least wherever I go to college will probably have a performance.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/324710/
http://www.romeoandorjuliet.com/

Up there is all the Shakespeare I'll ever need. Until there are even more like them, I mean.

i like the play hamlet a lot, but personally i didnt like hamlet the character as much as other people said they did—they praised his wittiness, but he just made me think of the teenagers who try too hard to be snarky that you see all over social media (although all things considered that's probably what i am so)

but since they obviously had no social media like that in shakespeares time, and that stuff didnt get HUGE until mid-2000s, i wonder what similar things people thought of him before that

Kinda reminds me of Holden Caulfield from Catcher in the Rye. Younger readers sympathize with him and see themselves in him, while older readers despise him because he's all the obnoxious parts of being a teenager, despite the fact that the things Holden says and does are the same things they grew out of. That's what annoys people about him. He reminds them of the lesser aspects of their teenage days.

I just went on an aside about The Catcher in the Rye in a Shakespeare thread. That's the most English class thing I can think of.

seriously i feel hamlet shows the more things change, the more they stay the same

teenagers are still like that, with all the attempts to be witty and the angst/anger against their parental figures (not to say everyones problems are fake or anything like that) and even wondering who they are and if theyll be remembered in this world. though people still cant figure out what age hes supposed to be, since the text has at least two different interpretations on that

but seriously why am i talking about teenagers like im not one wow...

as an aside i used the term "lust for revenge" in my hamlet presentation for English and one of my friends yelled "WHOOOOOO" because he knew the reference and I had to yell for him to not do that at the end

Back